New issues...

NissanNismoZ

I reset the ecu after I test drove it last night and wentbto bed, leaving it unplugged all night..

Knock sensor is mounted in and working..

(Note my exhaust now vibrates, which may or may not trigger the KS)

My fuel injectors are all clicking..which means they're working..right?

I could not find any vacuum leaks using Carb cleaner on every vacuum/intake joints.. so I guess no leaks? I will say thatit idles around 700..maybe just a hair lower.. and my brakes seem like I have to hold it to the floor some times..

I will check for codes tonight after work as my CEL did come back on..

I've never had a shop (hell I think even Wal-Mart does it now.....) do the on car injector cleaning so I cant say if that helps or not. The best way if they really are clogged is to remove them and have a injector shop clean/test them. Have you done a fuel pressure test after installing the other fuel pump?

Actually, my fuel pump pressures were good, and still are, its just it acted like it didn't pump out enough under a load. All I did was clean the filter in the tank and put it back in.. I didn't swap the fuel pumps out.. After doing that I noticed how it actually ran because that filter wasn't stopped up like it was.. fuel pressure did as it was supposed to, as vacuum decreased (revving it higher) fuel pressure increased. IIRC pressures were around 45psi.

I am leaning toward the injectors being corroded. They always cause a bunch of fun problems when they fail to inject more fuel. That has been an issue ever since ethanol started to be put into gasoline. The other thing I would check for is vacuum leaks. Try replacing some of those hoses. Sometimes they look good but are not.

Ill try looking up on how to clean them and go from there.. thanks! I will say, that since I have owned this Pathfinder, I have always bought 0% ethanol gasoline. Sure I pay 20c more but I feel better knowing it isn't watered down

I would rather buy ethanol free as well but I am SOL with that around here. :(

Back on topic... Most injector cleaners are no better than regular fuel additives. 3M seems like a trustworthy brand though and they do sell some kits.

I can't find anything to really clean them and I've read that most in tank fuel system cleaners are just alcohol.

Ill add that tonight after work I jumped in it and took off and it felt...normal? (The normal power feeling only lasted a few seconds, maybe 10-20s) Again until it got that bogging sound and then back to that less-than-powerful Pathy.. if something is clogging its like its taking a few seconds to get clogged again..?

I can say that while I had that lower intake off my intake valves were really clean!!!

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Pathy blew a coolant line right behind the intake..looks like it'll have to be towed home and ill be removing the upper intake Plenum. Ugh. I can't win!!! It was driving so good too..

Is it possible that some of those little black flakes you mentioned got into your fuel pump?

You've got the new fuel pump. Go ahead and swap it out. At the same time clean your lines. And clean out your fuel tank.

Think of it this way. You know when you drink water or tea with lemon in it? All of a sudden the straw won't let you sip anymore. You stop sipping and look at the straw - fine. Then a minute or so later you can't sip again. WTH?? You check the straw again - fine! You start sipping while watching the straw and you see a seed stick to the bottom of the straw stopping flow! Of course when you stop sipping and the vacuum is gone, the seed just swims innocently away... That could be your fuel tank. Full of BS that clogs your fuel pickup when running.

You know what. Ill do that. The fuel pump I have isn't new but the vehicle it was off ran fine. The black flakes might have..though I'm not sure. I can't really clean my gas tank as I don't have access to anything to drop the tank.

You could shop vac it out.

Be sure to do it outside though, the fumes are going to be severe.

You really need to do this. With the amount of stuff on your pickup filter, there is a lot of stuff floating around the bottom of your tank.

I would shop vac it out and then check the gasoline to see whats floating around in there. Then I would strain it (if possible, otherwise let it settle) put it back in the tank, slosh it around and shop vac it out again and see if you can get some more sediment.

Focus on the fuel. You are definitely lean, judging by the spark plugs.

Seriously, go through the fuel system with a magnifying glass - from the fuel filling port to the injectors.

Speaking of which... "Black stuff" - Was it rubber flakes? Could your fuel filler hose be deteriorating on the inside? Pull it and check. If you've got a bunch of rubber material in there, that would do it. It could also just be vibration and flex in the hose causing it to flake about in there.

I'm not questioning your advice at all, but I don't feel safe using a shop vac with gasoline.. only because I know that some electric motors create a small spark on torque.. but is there any other way of doing this? My guess if I could use something like that I could place a filter on the hose and that would give me an idea, and at the same time clean all the particles.. but. I just need another way of doing this.. ill wait until I'm nearly empty (right now its on a full tank) and try this. It does sound like what you're talking about with the straw and seed.. bit as far as that it was black..but it looked like old black dirt..?

Yeah, shop vac is a little out there. I would do it, but I am kinda crazy. ;)

You could get a hand held fuel siphon pump at the auto store for $5 to pump it out. Plus with the little clear hose, you could watch this crap coming out of the tank. I'd be interested to see that, so take a pic if you do it! :)

I think i'll do just that! I'll get one of the fuel siphon pumps and watch what goes through..Thanks!

Hopefully i can get back over there to it and fix that coolant line and run it out of gas.. or close enough.

I dont have any of those listed..thats why i hate having to do most of this by myself, but i know it has to be done regardless..

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Using a shop vac to vacuum out gas from a gas tank is just plain stupid and dangerous. Do NOT do that!!

I can't believe that advice was offered!! :crazy:

The best way to recover gas is to just drain it from the tank. Too bad Nissan does not offer any gasoline drain plugs at the bottom of the tank. The next best thing you can do is to manually pump it out into a gas can from the fuel sender hole. Do not use a Shop Vac to suck up gasoline.

Found out I had a cracked lower intake! Wow! Problems are still strong..trying some injector cleaner while I run this gas out..so far..nothing..

I am.using Chevron Techron Injector cleaner..

Tank was all siphoned out..filter was actually clean! Maybe just a tiny particlee, but only.noticeable if.you're looking that close to it. I have a clean tank now, and also swapped the other fuel pump in. Taking a break for now, but lets hope this works out!