New issues...

NissanNismoZ

Alright, so i thought i'd compile this into a new thread..

Since after my long 300mi. trip in Pathy, through long mountain slopes and being driven hard.. It no longer drives right; such as it has /ZERO/ power.

Note: Before the trip Pathy had been doing the weird (acting like i was pushing and releasing on the throttle, when really i was holding my foot steady, slowly pushing it harder to accelerate) BUT. Only does it when it's cold.

This video demonstrates to the best of my ability of the problem:

http://s208.photobuc...20-22-39-40.mp4

And the lack of power.. It now has to downshift to 3500RPM just to maintain speeds of 55mph up small slopes, where as before would be 55mph torque converter locked, A/C on and cruising right up at 2200RPM. Here's a video demonstrating the lack of power of just accelerating. You can hear how deep it sounds because of how hard im actually pushing it to accelerate...:

http://s208.photobuc...20-22-46-04.mp4

I haven't had a CEL come on either.

Anyone have ANY ideas?? :/ I've tried even changing the TPS, and it STILL does the problem mentioned in the first video...

I have also went from getting a steady 20MPG to a now 15-16 MPG.

Thanks...It's really embarassing to the point of taking back roads just to get home because i have to push it so hard to keep speed up hills...

It does have a major exhaust leak now, since the trip, my guess is i blew an exhaust gasket, but is it really possible it could just be the exhaust leak causing all this?? I mean, yeah im having it fixed in the morning, but it feels like there's more to it than just that...

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Check your convertor for a restriction. If the exhaust leak keeps getting worse and the power keeps going down it could be plugging up more and more. To check for a restriction I use an old vacuum/fuel pressure gauge in the O2 sensor hole. I'm not sure how much pressure is allowable but I would guess nothing over a pound when revving. You can also just unbolt the pipe from the convertor and take it for a spin. Check this ASAP. If it’s plugged that bad your holding a lot of heat on the motor that can burn exhaust valves.

James

yeah, its definitely getting worse ..

I finally threw in the towel and did something I said I'd never do; take it to a repair shop. Having them fix the exhaust leak and check/remove the cat. Thanks! I didn't know it could be that serious!

alright. so I decided to have them just install a new exhaust from the y-pipe, back. No cat or resonator now. It sounds mean, and power is increased a lot. But, it still doesn't feel like it has any power upon accelerating up small hills. it can hold its speed up small slopes now, but bigger it just can't hold it..I don't understand what could be wrong now.. still no CEL, BTW.

thanks!

the new exhaust seems to have triggered a CEL... will check on the code tomorrow. I'm starting to wonder if the power loss may be related to the TPS adjustment.. because Pathy seems to downshift to 3k rpm a lot quicker and I have to now let off the pedal almost completely for it to shift back up. does the TPS control fuel mixture at all??

still going to try unplugging tthe o2 and hope for the best. thanks everyone for the help!

I lied, it's still doing the hesitation thing...just noticed it this morning, but i think my whole problem is connected to that hesitation problem.

I cannot get to the O2 sensor connector to disconnect it..is there any other way to text the O2?

I also have a few questions..

The O2 sensor..aren't readings from it ignored until the engine is warmed up?

I think the whole problem lies within the hesitation as its most noticable on cold starts..and it FEELS like Pathy is normal again, until it gets extremely LOUD and bogs.

What im trying to say is..itll have power for a few seconds at a LOW speed (1mph-10mph then it feels like it bogs and is stuck in bog mode.) Meaning, the 'hesitation' feeling stays there throughout the rest of the trip, until im accelerating lightly at a LOW speed..

Is this clear? I'm sorry, I really dont know how to describe it..but it feels just like im pushing the pedal, then im letting off and accelerating lightly, when really its accelerating LOUD and struggling because im pushing it a lot harder than usual...

Thank you.

Is there anything else i can test? I really dont know where else to start.. and i dont want to have to pay hundreds of $$$ to have a shop troubleshoot and fix it...

I appreciate the help!

Thank you!! I was reaching.up and over the tranny and couldn't find the connector..Doh!

anyway. Disconnected it..and..the hesitation iis now gone, but it drives roughly the same now...i want to say if not better but still leaning toward the same...so does that mean the o2 sensor is gone?

Thank you!

I just don't know what to do. Swapped O2 with a friends working one and still the same problem. I bought a ECT sensor, and now the hesitation is fully gone. It also accelerates more smoothly bow. I decided to see what would happen if in neutral under no load. I found out:

If I stomp the pedal it gets loud and accelerates extremely slowly

Yet if I slowly rev it up it accelerates a lot faster and quieter??!

I don't want to have to sell the Pathy but I'm close to giving up...

Don't stomp the pedal! :lol:

When you stomp the pedal, you flood the engine with too much air. That's completely normal on these trucks (at least with my experience). You accelerate better with 1/2 throttle than with WOT. Although somehow you will accelerate better with WOT when the engine is cold. :lol:

Most likely an ECU fuel management issue as it is tuned to save you gas.

I lied. Keep reading...

Edited by Tungsten

Cat is removed. But my friend thinks my muffler may be stopped up..

I don't know how to check really..but it feels like it puts out some..I just know up some hills it would only have to unlock the torque converter and it would climb fine..now it has to be at 4500rpm to just keep a steady speed up that same hill going the same speed..its really emvarassing with semis passing me..

how can I check to see if its clogged?

It just has less power the harder I push it up a hill.. it definitely drives better with the new ECT though.

Tungsten: actually I didn't know that..

I.have hears a clogged exhaust can lower engine vacuum which may explain why it idles at 400rpm. I was idling out of a drive thru when someone pulled out in front of me and I slammed on the brakes and it just kept rolling..

I seem to have no.brakes at that low of rpm..

Edited by NissanNismoZ

To see if your muffler is clogged just disconnect it after the cat and take it for a drive. If you have a vacuum gauge you can check exhaust restriction with it.

When you hold the motor at a rev say 2000rpms it should have more vacuum than at idle. When you let the throttle go it should jump up a few inches and then come down. If you get less vacuum the higher you rev it then it's definitely clogged.

The reason you never heard what tungsten told you is because it's bull @!*%! You ever see a dragster run a quarter mile by giving it half throttle to take off? If the motor is tuned right and nothing is wrong it will go no matter how much throttle you give it. It's not normal for these trucks either. I can stomp mine to the floor and it goes with no hesitation from being flooded with air! Maybe tungsten has too much air somewhere. If his truck does this then there is something wrong with it.

James

I don't have a vacuum gauge but it drives the same without a muffler, just louder..

That's what I thought..because over floored mine before and it straight up went. Now of I do that it doesn't even try to rev up. It just bogs.

It now doesn't idle. I had to push it into my parking spot here at work because it won't idle. I have to hold the pedal down, then put it in gear and NOT let it idle. Its really embarrassing.

I was told by a friend to check the coil..is that a possibility? If the coil is getting weak that would be an easy fix..

Thanks guys for sticking with me on this..I really appreciate it..

Not sure how the coil would cause this... seems like it would be spark or no spark, but I could be wrong.

Since you don't need to measure vacuum exactly, perhaps you could make a redneck gauge. I'm thinking a one- or two-liter plastic bottle, with a vac line fitting in the end (try the drip line irrigation section at the hardware store), cut the bottom off, stretch a balloon over it. Epoxy a straw or something into the middle of the balloon... then when vacuum is applied, the straw moves. It won't give you numbers, but it should show the fluctuations James is talking about.

You changed the TPS, but have you checked the wiring harness?

You ever see a dragster run a quarter mile by giving it half throttle to take off? If the motor is tuned right and nothing is wrong it will go no matter how much throttle you give it.

Drag racers are not set up for low end performance. A road car will have the most torque around a middle rpm range (for fuel conservation and cruising efficiency reasons) while a dragster makes the most torque near or at the redline. On a road car, it is pointless to mash the gas pedal since all you will get is more noise after the torque band peaks. You are still spot on about the throttle. The engine should be able to accelerate no matter where the throttle position is.

Maybe tungsten has too much air somewhere. If his truck does this then there is something wrong with it.

Yeah disregard my previous post, there was something wrong that caused hesitation at full throttle. Every WD21 I drove did that so I thought it was normal but apparently not. I guess they all had cracked vacuum hoses. :lol: Found a vacuum leak here and replaced it with a crappy hose just for testing purposes. Doing that solved all my funky problems I had before when the engine was cold. It will no longer hesitate at full throttle either. However, there is still not much difference between going all the way down and half way down as there is a limited amount of airflow to the engine. Every road car is designed like this and there isn't much you can do about that unless you plan to convert it into a race car.

556236_10150858451114075_612879074_9733542_1979085502_n.jpg

Check all your vacuum hoses for cracks and tightness on the fittings. If you have a leak somewhere, the MAF sensor will get a wrong reading and you will have fun issues. You can check for any major leaks by squeezing the blow-by hose near the IACV. If the engine speed goes up, you have a big leak somewhere.

Edited by Tungsten

That's true.

You know..I might try that if I can get the supplies..I'm trying everything you.guys are throwing at me. I really appreciate it!

It's just embarassimg with it dying all the time.. when itndoes that I have no brakes and roll through a stop light..

It's really hard to diagnose something like this without seeing the vehicle. If you are loosing brakes as soon as it dies out you brake booster could be what is leaking. Or the check valve is broken. IF the motor still has good vacuum even with the motor shut off for days the booster should still have vacuum in it. It still sounds like stopped up exhaust to me but you said you checked all that. If the air can't get out the motor can't pull any air in which would cause low vacuum. The only other thing that would cause low vacuum (other than a big leak) is if you ran the motor hot for a long period of time and collapsed the rings and it just doesn't have enough compression to pull much vacuum. Get a compression gauge and run a compression check on it. Most part houses loan them. First thing you need to do is pull the vacuum hose off of the brake booster and plug it to see if that makes a difference.

James

Edited by JamesRich