Body lift vs Suspension lift

Danger

I've been thinking about doing a lift on my truck. Is one better than the other or is it more of a cost thing?

I've never had a lifted truck before and dont know much about it, any info would be great.

Thanks.

Its all a matter of who you talk to. Body lift will let you clear bigger tires while moving your center of gravity (CG) up but its only raising the body which is probably 30-40% of the weight of the vehicle...a SL on the other hand lifts all of the sprung weight (80-90% of the vehicle weight) increasing the CG even more...

Everyone will have their opinion on the matter...but that's my $.02

Also, a body lift doesn't stress your suspension and steering components. A suspension lift will stress your steering system, CVs, joints, etc. But a BL doesn't get your frame, bumpers, etc any higher (except from the bigger tires you put on).

It really depends on how you'll use the truck. Some people do both (see UNCC's sig above).

Edited by Slartibartfast

Actually he's right. All the links for search function seem to be on the fritz. I just happened to look for you're Axle Flip MY1PATH and when I found it, The link was dead. I had to check the date, and scroll back to that time just to be able to click on it. Annoying.

Matter of opinions but it boils down to what YOU want.

Ultimately larger tires are the reason most joes lift their rigs.

So if you dont want to fool with accellerated wear and tear on your suspension components a BL will be more suited to your needs.

If you simply want to get as high as you can without going all hardcore awesomeness and solid axle swapping that ride, then do a 3+3 lift (3 inch BL and 3 inch suspension).

Mines been that way for a few years with only some minor issues, which i to be expected with any lifted truck. Whenever I can et the SAS finished, is when I will achieve new heights! (Beverly Hills...thats where I want to be...) singing....

Best of luck to you, ake plenty of pictures!

Titles are broken, You have to click on page numbers or preview topic to follow the links.

For example

search: "axle flip"

Scroll down to desired result: thread titled "Flipping my Axles this weekend... has no page numbers under it to click on (only one page) but on the right there is a down arrow that appears when you mouse over.

Clicking the down arrows gives you a "First Post"and "Last Post" It also tells you the first post that matches your search but you can't click on it.

I clicked on "First Post" and got to my desired thread; http://www.nissanpat...840#entry564840

Also, the default search option is "search this topic" so you need to make sure it says "search forums" when you are looking for another topic.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MY1PATH

• 2 months later...

I am looking at purchasing a 3 inch body lift tomorrow. I was looking at this kit here: http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/index.htm?stocknumber=4053+PA. I have heard the the rear bolts were different for the 93-95. Are the bolts needed for the 93-95 longer? If so how much longer? There is that kit for $122 and there is one at 4x4parts.com that is for a 95 for $155. I was just hoping to save a few bucks and see what the difference was. If its just a longer bolt I could probably buy it at tractor supply. Thanks

I've heard the bolts are hard to find probably due to being Metric, if possible pull one of your rear bolts out to measure and take it with you to where ever you may get them from to see if they have them. Don't want to order a kit hoping to find the bolts locally and than not be able to find them. My 2 cents.

That is understandable. I figured if it is just length I could probably pick up a set of grade 8 bolts that are the correct length. I was mainly wanting to know if it was the length of the bolts that was the difference between the 2 kits.

Koveman gave me a good tip. Head to a wrecking yard and pull out the torsion bars adjustment bolt at the anchor. it will do the job for the rear bolt and its free from a wrecking yard.