Custom 2WD steering system conversion

It cost me $70 to do both sleeves, get 2 of those big nuts, and to correct the idler arm brace holes. I don't think it will be more than $50 to just bore the sleeves. BTW my 2wd tie rods are the "problem solver" type from MOOG which should be more heavy duty than OEM.

Edited by Tungsten

I'm going to the junkyard to pull some parts this weekend and might snatch some parts to do this swap. But I see the pic and its on the pathy but have you wheeled it yet? Like said before above this isn't for hardcore wheelers and that's good I don't plan on doing that just some medium wheeling and trails with a susp lift. At work we have a machine shop so I may just buy the tap myself and have the guys here do it. May be able to help some guys out if I do go through with getting the tap.

Haven't done anything with it yet. Going to be installing all this in a few hours...

In other news, finally got my lines and decided to add a filter on the return line.

BEFORE

561850_10150681014354075_612879074_9401382_1313525451_n.jpg

AFTER

561850_10150681014384075_612879074_9401384_1086113116_n.jpg

Here it is up close

561850_10150681014369075_612879074_9401383_1495131133_n.jpg

Yeah, im chomping at the bit to see this finished too.

I have a 2x4 linkage set here, has been sitting out the back for a couple of years now.

I am looking at starting this mod for my truck now. Just have to source some new outer tie rods and adjusters so I can get them retapped without having to take the truck off the road. I might go for factory Nissan outers as they lasted 13 years on my truck before I had to replace them. The aftermarket ones available here wear out too fast for my liking.

If you can get moog tie rods, I would go with them. I've had them on my truck for 4 years and they are still tight. Lifetime warranty too. It was wheeled regularly until last year and I never had a problem with the tie rods. (the centerlink on the other hand, lol.)

Edited by adamzan

The outer tie rods on the 2wd hardbody have a tilt to them in the wrong direction for a lifted truck and limits tie rod end travel. Pathy outer are just straight anddo not limit tie rod balljoint travel.

If you can get moog tie rods, I would go with them. I've had them on my truck for 4 years and they are still tight. Lifetime warranty too. It was wheeled regularly until last year and I never had a problem with the tie rods. (the centerlink on the other hand, lol.)

Do you have a link to them on Ebay at all? (just so i'm sure to get the correct ones)

Found a shop to do my tie rod adjusters for 35$ cash (canadian). Bringing my total to 145$ for this swap all said and done (using my current outers as they are still new). Really can't complain.... So cheap!

Pity the seller does not ship to New Zealand, I will keep searching............................

Here we can only get the original Nissan ones and aftermarket one of a brand that I do not know of. I keep wearing out the ball joints on my TRE's, that's why I am looking for a heavier duty one.

sorry but those are the wrong parts for the inners. the inners are long and have an offset bend half way down. those inners listed are regular pathy 4x4 inners.

I know they are. I thought kiwipete was asking for the 4x4 inners...

Thanks guys, I have a 2WD centrelink here, it's been stored out the back for some time. I took it to work today and waterblasted it. Seems the ball joints on it are naffed, two are siezed and the others look very rusty so I may have to scrap this until I source a new one.

Or see if I can get the ball joints replaced at a reasonable price.

I got my 2wd centerlink new on ebay for 70$ shipped to canada. Its "OE Parts" brand which i have used in the past on my 240sx and they are still holding up 100% and I drive that car pretty hard!

got inner tie rods for 41$ shipped for both from autopartsway.ca. if you live in canada this place is where it's at! all orders over 75 bucks have free shipping too. they are Qsten brand and look EXTREMELY tough. I believe they make a lot of OEM steering components.

Just saw your thread here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=33061

Looks like it turned out great. :aok:

Mine will be even more heavy duty though! :tongue:

Anyway there was a bit of a delay due to some boring circumstances. I should have everything together on May 1st or this Tuesday.

UPDATE: Got the truck back from the shop today. The entire thing fit together better than I thought it would. Now all I need is for them to crank up the torsion bars and re-align. This steering setup is excellent. :aok:

I have a nice shiney new 2wd centrelink sitting here now, I just hope the ball joint tapers are correct for my Pitman and Idler arms.

Now to source the inner and outer tie rods and adjusters and I am sorted.