Buying a new Magnaflow Cat

Trogdor636

I can't recall all what your have done (I know it is a lot), but yes, if too much is out of place or missing, it will be a flag. That said, I doubt if a missing coolant sensor or something will be noticed or noted. At that level I believe it matters what the dyno/sniffer say.

B

My engine bay looks like a stock MPFI engine bay with headers.

If they are looking for TBI specific emissions components I am missing all 3 of them because they are not compatible with MPFI.

All of them have to do with air injection which was used to improve idle emissions of carbureted vehicles.

Edited by MY1PATH

If I lived in CA and had to go through that I would probably just move over to WA or some nearby state. Unless I had unlimited funds to combat CARB regulations, which I would. That is ridiculous. I thought NJ was bad...

Here they just use a mirror to make sure the exhaust is properly installed and is not leaking. There is no specification on the size of the muffler or the catalytic converter as long as it is in the right place relative to OEM. They put a sniffing probe and told me the exhaust was nicely done. That's about it.

MY1PATH or Precise1: Do any of you have a link to the documentation on the CA's DMV site on emissions compliance or any related documents? Now it makes me want to look them over.

I have no idea about that. The MPFI should clear the snif test easily, but I have no idea if they will get hung up on the TBI to MPFI change. They might just verify if all the MPFI stuff is there or it might need a DMV note.

I'd find out exactly what type of smog test is required in the area you will be moving to and then go from there. Some places are even exempt... :shrug:

B

If I lived in CA and had to go through that I would probably just move over to WA or some nearby state. Unless I had unlimited funds to combat CARB regulations, which I would. That is ridiculous. I thought NJ was bad...

MY1PATH or Precise1: Do any of you have a link to the documentation on the CA's DMV site on emissions compliance or any related documents? Now it makes me want to look them over.

Thats pretty stupid Tungsten. There is no combat, it isn't hard to keep a decent vehicle passing every 2 years. For that you would move 500-1000 miles? PLEASE stay in NJ! Idiot...

Google CA DMV SMOG, take a few months, look it over and don't tell us what you think.

B

• Like 2

You might have to take it to a smog referee. I've heard good things and bad about that process. That's from the ricer crowd doing motor swaps. But I've heard a few people have headaches with JDM swaps as well.

• Like 1

You might have to take it to a smog referee. I've heard good things and bad about that process. That's from the ricer crowd doing motor swaps. But I've heard a few people have headaches with JDM swaps as well.

Cousin did a toyota engine swap, doesn't pass smog anymore gotta really watch those in CA....

It will crush an evo like nothing though...

Thats pretty stupid Tungsten. There is no combat, it isn't hard to keep a decent vehicle passing every 2 years. For that you would move 500-1000 miles? PLEASE stay in NJ! Idiot...

Google CA DMV SMOG, take a few months, look it over and don't tell us what you think.

B

Here we go with the name calling again... I didn't call anyone out here. I know I can be wrong sometimes and should have asked more questions before posting certain things but it's all purely professional. I looked into these things before you dickhead and didn't find anything. Enjoy your Californian dictatorship laws dip@!*%.

I love how whenever laws are put in or proposed that are for the greater good all you Americans whine about freedom cough cough the recent gun debates. Do you realize you cant just do whatever the fskc you want without caring about anyone else. Take a lesson in civilized behavior from your neighbours above.

Sorry but I had to get that out.

Unfortunately, with exhaust pipes or with guns, being part of a society means giving things up. Pack enough people into a small area and things get restrictive. Nobody cares if you have a loud party if you live in the middle of nowhere, but if your neighbor's house is three feet from yours, common courtesy prohibit you from blasting "I'm On A Boat" at three in the morning. If enough idiots do it anyway, their neighbors get pissed off and pass laws against it. Then the laws get interpreted by people who aren't paid to think. It's a frustrating PITA but the alternative is personal responsibility, and apparently we're not good at that.

But yeah, I'm glad I don't live in California.

Anyway, Trogdor, good luck finding a catalyst that doesn't cost several limbs.

I love how whenever laws are put in or proposed that are for the greater good all you Americans whine about freedom cough cough the recent gun debates. Do you realize you cant just do whatever the fskc you want without caring about anyone else. Take a lesson in civilized behavior from your neighbours above.

Sorry but I had to get that out.

If I met a hot Canadian chick, I'd totally move to Canada. Preferably somewhere near Whistler.

Anyway, Trogdor, good luck finding a catalyst that doesn't cost several limbs.

Ha, I didnt even realize this was a thread I started back in March until you said that.

• Like 1

Don't try and bend the rules. It will cost you more money. Regardless the 2" high flow car breaths really well on out trucks. I have this on mine and anyone that has heard it run can assure you it breaths just fine. No need to risk throwing money down the drain to fight them when you gain nothing.

Honestly it was never about how well it flowed, it was the fact that because I live in California I have to pay over $100 more for something that originally never came on my Pathfinder. I'd like to take the CARB version and the 49 state version apart side by side, just to see the difference.

Technically couldnt I have the 49 state version that isnt Carb legal? My Pathfinder is originally from Illinois.

I know this is mostly about aftermarket Catalytic converters, but as far as stock goes:

You need to get the version your vehicle was built for by VIN.

If it is a Federal emssions vehicle it needs that version put on it.

If it is a Cali version it needs that one.

Where the vehicle is now registered is not the issue, it is what the VIN says.

I will look into this more. This is what I was taught when I got my TX inspection licence (too) many years ago. I dont live in California though.

But I am fairly sure It should be by VIN, the computer will read the VIN and load in the min/max parameters for how it was made and test accordingly. Otehrwise, any person moving from say Florida to California would have to completly rebuild their vehicle if the moved. <-doesnt make any sense. But this is california. :)

As to aftermarket, here is what CARB says.

New catalytic converters sold or installed in CA must be designed to meet the following requirements:

1. Must be an OE replacement only - no "high flow" or performance cats
  2. Must be granted an ARB exemption
  3. No used or rebuilt used cats can be installed

Briefly, this means that you are now required to obtain a new ARB-exempt catalytic converter for your specific vehicle if you require a replacement. The street use of aftermarket performance "high flow" units and aftermarket mid-pipes with non-exempt cats is not legal in CA.

So herein lies the answers I think:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29
Be Sure You Can Register it in California The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here. This includes certain diesel powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (Health and Safety Codes [H&SC] §§43150 – 43156.)

What Is Considered a new Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Aren't all Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California certified (50-State) vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

Check the Label

To find out whether a car, truck or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the frame or refer to your owner's manual. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Exemptions

There are a few exemptions included in the law. As a California resident you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if it was:

• Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or a legal separation settlement
  • Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
  • Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
  • An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § 27156.2 and 27156.3.
  • Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
  • A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.
emissions_cert.jpg Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)

California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS.) No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB), or visit ARB online.

Drive clean

Are you looking to reduce your carbon footprint, save money on gas or just contribute less to smog? DriveClean.ca.gov is California’s buying guide for clean and efficient vehicles. Since motor vehicles are responsible for more than half of the smog and global warming pollution in California, the vehicle you buy directly impacts air quality, global warming and energy security.

Visit DriveClean.ca.gov for more information about the Environmental Performance Label, to compare scores and to find the latest incentives For More Information Regarding...

Proper identification of a California emission system IMPORTANT NOTE: Before servicing any vehicle’s catalytic converter, you must determine whether the vehicle was manufactured to California or Federal (EPA) specifications.

Vehicles manufactured for sale in California could have exhaust systems components that may be different from 49-state vehicles.

Even if you’re not located in California, you may have California emissions-equipped cars come into your shop. Here are some facts that you need to know when dealing with the exhaust systems for California cars that are registered outside of California:

When it comes to vehicle emissions, there are two regulating authorities: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) which governs the Federal law throughout the country and the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which governs emission laws in the state of California and 13 additional states that follow CA emissions laws. However, only California applies its stringent regulations to the use of aftermarket replacement converters.

So what kind of converter can you use as a replacement in the other 13 states? With so many variables, it may be difficult to know unless you can determine if a vehicle was built to meet federal or CA emissions. Get the picture?

CA and EPA systems may be different

EC_CA_EPA_Comp-300x216.jpg

Both of these systems are listed for a 2000 Nissan Maxima. However, only the one below fits a CA emissions vehicle. It has three 02 sensors and a different configuration.

A common misconception is that a Federal converter can be used on any vehicle not registered in California. However, this only applies to vehicles with Federal systems. If the vehicle has a California system, it must use a converter made for that system. While the converter does not have to legally meet CARB aftermarket emissions standards, it must meet the “mechanical” conditions of the system. This is important because the converter configuration, length and O2 sensor locations may be different in the CA car. If you order the wrong part, you could be looking at a service delay.

Vehicle emissions systems labels

To properly determine whether the vehicle requires a CA or Federal converter, you should check the vehicle’s emissions system label.