Buying a new Magnaflow Cat

Trogdor636

So after cranking my saggy T-bars and looking at my non existent bolts rusting away on my exhaust, I think I'm gonna start piecing together a new one. Although I live in Cali, my Pathfinder is originally from out of state. Getting a regular Magnaflow cat seems to be a bit of a challenge. Anybody know a place that will ship me a regular (and a $111 cheaper than the California model from Rock Auto prices!) cat, or am I going to have to have it shipped out of state and then shipped to me. Ebay was my first thought, but it seems most sellers I have run across are shops that wont do it either. Thanks for any help.

Edited by Trogdor636

You need the CARB legal version (2" diameter) that is a bolt up replacement. It was a Magnaflow high flow cat and I have since passed emissions testing with that, Thorley headers and a Flowmaster Delta 60 muffler.

Let me look up exactly what I got, and hopefully where...

B

You need the CARB legal version (2" diameter) that is a bolt up replacement. It was a Magnaflow high flow cat and I have since passed emissions testing with that, Thorley headers and a Flowmaster Delta 60 muffler.

Let me look up exactly what I got, and hopefully where...

B

Technically couldnt I have the 49 state version that isnt Carb legal? My Pathfinder is originally from Illinois.

Mine was from Pennsylvania... Don't matter, it has to pass here and to these rules. CARB says 2" cat is max allowable and it has to be in the same physical location within inches.

Don't worry, a 2" Magnaflow will not realistically choke off a VG30.

B

It's a Magnaflow 39760 but I swear I didn't pay more than $125 delivered. Holy crap, $238 is the number I see everywhere now!!

The thing with emission compliance is that they can look up the number and see if it is CARB approved, it is engraved in the bottom... Wrong cat may mean no pass, but I don't know first hand; I simply bought a compliance unit. :shrug:

B

meh.

It all depends on how big you want the exhaust to be. If you are doing the stock 2" then get what Precise1 is recommending. If you want bigger, you can get a CARB compliant 2.25" or even a 2.50" catalytic converter as well. It just won't be bolt on and come with slip fittings instead.

Listing of all CARB compliant universal fit catalytic converters: http://magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/universalCARB/330.asp

My recommendation is to do a slip on catalytic converter instead of a bolt-in because you then have less gaskets to deal with and less possible leaks (and universal fits are cheaper). You can also use a dual in-single out catalytic converter as a Y-pipe to get it closer to the engine if you have the time to fab and get creative. Do not use a smaller catalytic converter than your exhaust system is otherwise you will have to use unnecessary reducers and adapters.

Edited by Tungsten

Its mainly the price.....the 49 state is like $100 bucks. The California version is $200. I get its what I am supposed to have for California, but just seems I could replace it with the 49 state version and they couldnt say anything since its a federal emissions vehicle.

I use a 49 state 2.5" high flow cat from Magnaflow and it passes both New York's and New Jersey's tough emission standards just fine. In fact it does even better than my old one did because there is more catalyst inside the larger converter.

By the time you buy a "49 state" one and have it shipped somewhere then shipped to you, would you almost be at the price of the CARB one?

My parents live in Colorado so my stepdad could ship from there, and he works at a business where he could have it shipped pretty cheap I would imagine. But I was thinking I have friends in Reno that visit from time to time so I could go that route as well.

That's a good point, I also forgot that you guys don't get hosed on shipping like we do for everything. I understand what you mean if it is a federal emissions you shouldn't have to put the cali one on just because the truck ended up there. That would be dumb.

meh.

It all depends on how big you want the exhaust to be. If you are doing the stock 2" then get what Precise1 is recommending. If you want bigger, you can get a CARB compliant 2.25" or even a 2.50" catalytic converter as well. It just won't be bolt on and come with slip fittings instead.

Listing of all CARB compliant universal fit catalytic converters: http://magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/universalCARB/330.asp

My recommendation is to do a slip on catalytic converter instead of a bolt-in because you then have less gaskets to deal with and less possible leaks (and universal fits are cheaper). You can also use a dual in-single out catalytic converter as a Y-pipe to get it closer to the engine if you have the time to fab and get creative. Do not use a smaller catalytic converter than your exhaust system is otherwise you will have to use unnecessary reducers and adapters.

You kill me when you talk out your butt like this. Your experience and comprehension of CARB compliance is based on... what??

When I bought my compliant cat, there were two allowable cats, one was slip on and the other was bolt on which was the one I bought. No if's and's or but's. :rolleyes:

I use a 49 state 2.5" high flow cat from Magnaflow and it passes both New York's and New Jersey's tough emission standards just fine. In fact it does even better than my old one did because there is more catalyst inside the larger converter.

That is because New York and New Jersey are part of the 49 states. Slow the fingers down and speed up the brain!! :bwack:

Trogdor, I recommend spending the extra for the appropriate CARB compliant unit. All it would take is one failed smog to make up the $ difference, and who wants to deal with that sort of hassle? :shrug:

B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You kill me when you talk out your butt like this. Your experience and comprehension of CARB compliance is based on... what??

When I bought my compliant cat, there were two allowable cats, one was slip on and the other was bolt on which was the one I bought. No if's and's or but's. :rolleyes:

I don't even understand what you're asking. Slip on CARB compliant units will do just as well as bolt ons. For a factory system the bolt on method is better. For all custom, a slip on converter is better. You can use bolt on in a custom set up too but that may require getting adapters and such (and more flanges and gaskets). Yes, don't get me wrong, you should use CARB compliant converters in California and anywhere else CARB applies. Yes, you will be playing with your luck if you use a 49-state cat in CARB land (but it can work not saying it will). There is more than one option though, I posted this link right there for CARB converters: http://magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/universalCARB/330.asp

Edited by Tungsten

If you want bigger, you can get a CARB compliant 2.25" or even a 2.50" catalytic converter as well. It just won't be bolt on and come with slip fittings instead.

Once again, slip fit or flange, the only CARB compliant Magnaflow cat for a 1995 Pathfinder is a 2" inlet and outlet. Please show me a 2.25 or 2.5" version and describe your experience dealing with CARB requirements.

You can also use a dual in-single out catalytic converter as a Y-pipe to get it closer to the engine if you have the time to fab and get creative.

Please show me your information source that states that using a dual in/single out cat is CARB compliant or that changing it's physical location on the vehicle is CARB legal.

B

• Like 1

The inlet and outlet size does not matter. The only reason Magnaflow shows a 2" cat as the only CARB compliant cat is due to the fact that it is their only direct replacement catalytic converter for this vehicle. The direct replacement is meant to go on a stock system. A 49-state catalog also only shows a 2" cat for 90-95 years because again it is the only applicable version for the stock system. When you do anything to the exhaust system you already modify the exhaust system. As long as the catalytic converter is within inches of the factory location that's fine. If you move the catalytic converter even closer to the engine that should not be an issue. Basically it all comes down to numbers. I have been to a few emissions testing facilities and all they do is check that you have a catalytic converter with a little mirror and then shove a probe into the exhaust and see what numbers they get. Those numbers have to be equal or lower to what the specification says or your vehicle gets rejected. Larger sized catalytic converters have more catalyst material and would not hurt emissions at all. I would not be too worried about pre-96 OBD I vehicles because their standards are already very low compared to more modern vehicles.

• 10 months later...

If I had to go through all that crap just to buy a cat...Id move out of California. Sorry, I just don't see why a freedom loving American would put up wit that kind of control over how you repair your car. A 3 way cat is a 3 way cat...If it passes an emissions test then what the f*ck is the difference if it's bolt on, or weld on or 2 or 3 inches....Sorry just venting.

PS there's no such thing as a 'High Flow Cat'....Take a pipe, stick some honeycomb in it and you have a cat....The honeycomb is the same with all manufactures......

Edited by Vividkid
  • Like 2

The inlet and outlet size does not matter. The only reason Magnaflow shows a 2" cat as the only CARB compliant cat is due to the fact that it is their only direct replacement catalytic converter for this vehicle. The direct replacement is meant to go on a stock system. A 49-state catalog also only shows a 2" cat for 90-95 years because again it is the only applicable version for the stock system. When you do anything to the exhaust system you already modify the exhaust system. As long as the catalytic converter is within inches of the factory location that's fine. If you move the catalytic converter even closer to the engine that should not be an issue. Basically it all comes down to numbers. I have been to a few emissions testing facilities and all they do is check that you have a catalytic converter with a little mirror and then shove a probe into the exhaust and see what numbers they get. Those numbers have to be equal or lower to what the specification says or your vehicle gets rejected. Larger sized catalytic converters have more catalyst material and would not hurt emissions at all. I would not be too worried about pre-96 OBD I vehicles because their standards are already very low compared to more modern vehicles.

I think your missing the point. I belive what B is trying to say is:

California Air Resource Board places restictions not only on Cat requirements but Cat requirements PER VEHICLE. What this means is, if you have a 1995 nissan pathfinder your have to have a 2" cat weather its universal fit or not and it has to be located within 3" of the stock loctation. No ifs, and or Buts!

So your options are Direct fit 2" and Universal fit 2"

• Like 1

Thank you, and yes, that is what I was trying to say but with one correction, I'm pretty sure the 2" cat for a 1995 Pathfinder is the largest allowable; you can go OEM or smaller if you want.

I got tired of trying to get information to penetrate Tungsten's skull.

If I had to go through all that crap just to buy a cat...Id move out of California. Sorry, I just don't see why a freedom loving American would put up wit that kind of control over how you repair your car. A 3 way cat is a 3 way cat...If it passes an emissions test then what the f*ck is the difference if it's bolt on, or weld on or 2 or 3 inches....Sorry just venting.

PS there's no such thing as a 'High Flow Cat'....Take a pipe, stick some honeycomb in it and you have a cat....The honeycomb is the same with all manufactures......

It really wasn't all that much crap. I figured out which one I wanted out of the available, legal choices and the truck runs great and passes smog. I'd argue that moving would be far more difficult and costly than just complying...

:rofl: @ freedom loving American! We are talking about a smog control component, not the right to free speech!

I do agree with you about the emissions though, if it passes tests reliably and consistently then that is what matters, not failing by a technicality on a visual inspection. Unfortunately, like everything else, when $ is involved the loopholes become evident.

Ultimately, I prefer the smog laws in place, it means the general air quality is much better. California has almost 250% the population density as Texas (232/sq mi VS 97/sq mi) so a more stringent approach is necessary. ;)

B

So I wonder what they will think of my 89..."This doesn't match the picture, Oh is it really a 90?"
I'm going to put EGR on it but do you think they will look under the EGR for the Temp sensor?(CA models only but that's what Mine is)

I think your missing the point. I belive what B is trying to say is:

California Air Resource Board places restictions not only on Cat requirements but Cat requirements PER VEHICLE. What this means is, if you have a 1995 nissan pathfinder your have to have a 2" cat weather its universal fit or not and it has to be located within 3" of the stock loctation. No ifs, and or Buts!

So your options are Direct fit 2" and Universal fit 2"

I would argue this. Do they actually get under the vehicle and measure the inlet and outlet size?

Its not like you go to some smog station where they put in a sniffer and you step on the gas to keep the needle in the right place on their screen...
In some areas you actually must DROP OFF your vehicle for a FULL INSPECTION and it cost up to $100. Which you have to pay again no matter how petty the reason you failed is.
Pull your head out of your A$$ California is the most absurd and anal place when it comes to air quality inspections and nothing you can say will change the rules that California has made. This is more than just some forum posting where you can argue it and the other person will eventually concede and say you win.

But If you'd like to appeal to the California Air Resource Board and argue with them until they concede then Go for it!

Edited by MY1PATH

It all comes down to where you move and the smog tech. Some counties have stricter tests (some of the Bay Area puts your vehicle on a dyno....not sure about LA and such) and some smog techs will look for anything. The place I've been going where I live the guy does a few checks under the hood, puts it on the machine and does the test.

Yep, I live in dyno land. As long as things are as they should be, you shouldn't have an issue. Both of my WD21s have been 49 state models and I have never had an issue passing smog, even last time when the tech said "nice headers and exhaust" when he brought in the the papers. The key is, the EGR port in the headers is hooked up to a functioning valve, the exhaust is professionally done, the cat is properly positioned with the number facing down, etc. From this number, it can provide the tech with the make/model/specs of the cat, if it is CARB certified and what vehicle it is approved for. Yeah, a good shop will look and and there aren't many shady shops that stay open.

Now, a gas cap that dosn't hold vacuum will get you failed in a heartbeat...

So I wonder what they will think of my 89..."This doesn't match the picture, Oh is it really a 90?"
I'm going to put EGR on it but do you think they will look under the EGR for the Temp sensor?(CA models only but that's what Mine is)

I can't recall all what your have done (I know it is a lot), but yes, if too much is out of place or missing, it will be a flag. That said, I doubt if a missing coolant sensor or something will be noticed or noted. At that level I believe it matters what the dyno/sniffer say.

B