A few problems I need to clear up finally

1994SEV6

I've noticed that I have 2 grounds that aren't connected to anything. This is a little troublesome because they obviously have a purpose. What's even more troublesome is that I haven't noticed anything not working or not working properly, and it could be something severe that is going unnoticed.

Here are some pictures.

2012-01-20111024.jpg

This first one is near the P/S pump reservoir and the fuel filter. You can see the oil filler cap in the picture. This is a compete ground wire (not broken off or frayed like my other one). I can't tell where it goes. The other end is secured to the body right under the fuel filter bracket.

2012-01-20111040.jpg

Sorry it's a little blurry, but my finger is pointing to where it connects to the body.

2012-01-20111052.jpg

Here is my other ground. This one is broken and doesn't have a connector. I have looked and looked several times, from the top, from the bottom under the engine, from the bottom from the wheelwell, I just can't see where it broke off from. I would think it would be the alternator by I didn't see the other broken piece.

I could have sworn I took a picture of where it connected, but I can't find it. It is connected to the driver's side wheelwell

Another thing. I went to a junkyard last week. I actually went to about 3. To get home, I had to drive about 50 miles on the highway. No big deal. I put it in 5th gear and flew. My speedometer (with 30in tires when I'm supposed to have 31s) said I was going 90mph at ~3.8k RPM. I think I was actually going about 75mph, but the engine is still doing the same work as it would if I was actually going 90mph with regular tires (not accounting for extra air resistance just RPMs). That's how that works, right? Anyway, I was going that speed for a solid 20mins. When I got off the highway, I was at a red light and noticed my temp gauge. It seemed very low for the engine doing that much work

2012-01-15191008.jpg

My temp gauge does move up and down, but never above that point. When the engine is cold, the temp gauge will rest on the peg and it will slowly rise, but never above ~1/5. Actually, one time I lost some coolant when I took a hose off and didn't think I lost as much as I did. I was running low on coolant and the temp gauge was to the roof. My fuel gauge works properly (unfortunately), my tach works flawlessly, my speedo works great. Is my temp gauge faulty?

Let me go take some more pictures of the tensioner. The ones I have now are bad.

Just tried looking at the FSM. I can't rotate my screen. My neck now hurts soo much and I have a headache from trying to figure the wiring harness out. I eventually got smart and physically rotated my monitor...bigger headache because now I could properly see what was going on

the bolt tensioner thing. This is one from a donor truck. The head of the bolt on mine broke off. My question is if I can take off the nut that secures the shorter bolt

2012-01-20131514.jpg

zoomed in

2012-01-20131609.jpg

in context

2012-01-20131533.jpg

Me trying to show you how it's broken off

2012-01-20131715.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to add:

My question with the bolt/tensioner is, is it safe to unbolt that nut that I zoomed in on? The purpose of the long bolt is to release tension slowly. If I unbolt the nut, will there be a violent reaction? Could I do this safely somehow?

Edited by 1994SEV6

Looks like your thermostat is stuck, had the exact same issue on mine. As for the grounds, mine have been broken for years now and I have not noticed any ill effects...I plan on re attaching them or just replacing them but I haven't had time. They originally connected to the manifold heat shield bolts.

Ever use the rotate feature in adobe reader??

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

Looks like your thermostat is stuck, had the exact same issue on mine. As for the grounds, mine have been broken for years now and I have not noticed any ill effects...I plan on re attaching them or just replacing them but I haven't had time. They originally connected to the manifold heat shield bolts.

Ever use the rotate feature in adobe reader??

grounds for the heat shields? That's interesting. What's the purpose of that? Heat shields don't have current...do they?

My thermostat is stuck? I just replace it, or there some sort of blockage/obstruction?

I didn't even think of using the adobe feature LOL. I was trying to use ctrl+shift+arrow keys like in windows XP, but it doesn't work on Windows 7. You should have seen me trying to hold my monitor 90degrees and not have it slip

Edited by 1994SEV6

I didn't even think of using the adobe feature LOL. I was trying to use ctrl+shift+arrow keys like in windows XP, but it doesn't work on Windows 7. You should have seen me trying to hold my monitor 90degrees and not have it slip

That feature is applicable to computers that have onboard Intel graphics implementations, and is not a Windows specific feature.

So....I took that nut off of the tensioner. I loosened it, and it came right off. I pulled the tensioner thing off, and nothing.

Absolutely nothing happened. It's like that tensioner had zero effect on anything. My P/S pump didn't budge and my belt is still as tight as ever

Can someone send me a picture of their set up? I'm trying to figure out the concept of this tensioner, but I'm not sure if I have it right. I have no idea what it's supposed to look like so I'm guessing. I have a feeling my power steering pump has only been tensioned these last 6 months by sheer friction alone.

Edited by 1994SEV6

Another thing. I went to a junkyard last week. I actually went to about 3. To get home, I had to drive about 50 miles on the highway. No big deal. I put it in 5th gear and flew. My speedometer (with 30in tires when I'm supposed to have 31s) said I was going 90mph at ~3.8k RPM. I think I was actually going about 75mph, but the engine is still doing the same work as it would if I was actually going 90mph with regular tires (not accounting for extra air resistance just RPMs). That's how that works, right? Anyway, I was going that speed for a solid 20mins. When I got off the highway, I was at a red light and noticed my temp gauge. It seemed very low for the engine doing that much work

If you have 30" tires but your speedo is set for 31s, then your speedo will read 31/30=1.033 times too high. That's only 3%. So if it said you were going 90, you were really going 87.

If you have 30" tires but your speedo is set for 31s, then your speedo will read 31/30=1.033 times too high. That's only 3%. So if it said you were going 90, you were really going 87.

circumference my friend. Not diameter.

I don't feel like calculating it, but the GPS on my phone says it's about 14% off.

• Like 1

Adam is correct. your GPS is miles off.

We're assuming this on a stock tire of 31x10.50 and an aftermarket tire of 30x9.50. the width doesn't matter though.

I don't feel like calculating it, but the GPS on my phone says it's about 14% off.

Then your phone is a POS. No way in hell that's 14% off on a less than 1" (actual size) smaller tire.

The PS pump didn't move BC there is a bolt holding it to the engine that has to be loosened before you can make the PS move with the tensioner...

I would speak to the whole tire thing but it'd take too much explaining....basically the error curve isn't linear so at 90 MPH gauge speed I would guess it was about 12 MPH slower but at 55 its probably only about 5 MPH off u can always run the #s...there's lots calculators out there that will do this for u

I couldnt figure out why my speedo was off either, I thought it maybe had something to do with the cluster as my tach is a crazy bastard. I've only got 235/75's on mine which is equal to 28" roughly. looked in the door jam? calls for 31" ers. put them on and voila! now if they'd only fix my tach too....

The PS pump didn't move BC there is a bolt holding it to the engine that has to be loosened before you can make the PS move with the tensioner...

I would speak to the whole tire thing but it'd take too much explaining....basically the error curve isn't linear so at 90 MPH gauge speed I would guess it was about 12 MPH slower but at 55 its probably only about 5 MPH off u can always run the #s...there's lots calculators out there that will do this for u

Going from 31's to 33's is like this.

I couldnt figure out why my speedo was off either, I thought it maybe had something to do with the cluster as my tach is a crazy bastard. I've only got 235/75's on mine which is equal to 28" roughly. looked in the door jam? calls for 31" ers. put them on and voila! now if they'd only fix my tach too....

You need to replace the cluster to fix the tach, sadly. It's a very common problem with round dash trucks.

Circumference = pi*d

Yeah. 31inches times pi. minus 30inches times pi. There's your difference in distance traveled. Multiply that difference by how many RPMs the tire is doing. That's how far off my speed is.

Adam is correct. your GPS is miles off.

We're assuming this on a stock tire of 31x10.50 and an aftermarket tire of 30x9.50. the width doesn't matter though.

This one post is confusing the hell out of me. Who is Adam? Nobody said my GPS was off (before this)? and nobody said anything about width.

Then your phone is a POS. No way in hell that's 14% off on a less than 1" (actual size) smaller tire.

my GPS isn't perfect. I have that Samsung Galaxy Android phone. It has had some GPS problems, but they put out patches. when I slow down and speed up, the Speedview app (that's what I'm using) followed me pretty well.

ahhhh thanks. That's what I thought. I'm probably being stupid and not really looking, but this stuff should be more obvious. Changing your water pump belt would be a pain in the neck. You have to take off all three belts just to replace that one. And I can't even figure out how to get my P/S belt off!

thanks for the support with the tire situation.

yep. the tires will do it. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the speedos are known for breaking. The tachs, on the other hand, those have a reputation of malfunctioning over time. It has something to do with the voltage regulator. I think there's a fix in the how-to section.

This one post is confusing the hell out of me. Who is Adam? Nobody said my GPS was off (before this)? and nobody said anything about width.

my bad for being confusing. adam is adamzan and he was correct about the grounds. I was saying your GPS is miles off by saying it's a 14% difference.

my GPS isn't perfect. I have that Samsung Galaxy Android phone. It has had some GPS problems, but they put out patches. when I slow down and speed up, the Speedview app (that's what I'm using) followed me pretty well.

I had this phone for 11 days. I would never trust the GPS on this thing, and I use GPS a lot.

Adam generally is most commonly meant towards adamzan (read the name slowly, then you will see the connection :lol: usernames can blend sometimes)

Phone GPS's are nice for what they are but still quirky and will not replace a true GPS. Like using a slice of bread instead of a hotdog bun, just not the same thing and you know it :D

Yeah. 31inches times pi. minus 30inches times pi. There's your difference in distance traveled. Multiply that difference by how many RPMs the tire is doing. That's how far off my speed is.

Yup. If you do the calculation, you'll see that the answer is exactly what I said above. Multiplying by a constant (pi) makes no difference.

Adam generally is most commonly meant towards adamzan (read the name slowly, then you will see the connection :lol: usernames can blend sometimes)

Phone GPS's are nice for what they are but still quirky and will not replace a true GPS. Like using a slice of bread instead of a hotdog bun, just not the same thing and you know it :D

We just got mixed up on what we were talking about. I didn't know who he meant by Adam and he said GPS when he meant grounds.

I agree. Phones nowadays have a lot of junk stuffed into them that is..mediocre. It will work, I suppose, but nothing to be betting your life, or even money on. I said "about" 14% and unccpathfinder gave a little support towards this.

Very true about hotdog buns and bread. What's worse is trying to put two dogs in the same piece of bread because it's too big for one, but too small for two.

Yup. If you do the calculation, you'll see that the answer is exactly what I said above. Multiplying by a constant (pi) makes no difference.

you were dividing though. That's what threw me off. I guess that's a way to do it, but I just can't imagine my truck actually getting up to 90mph.

ahhhh thanks. That's what I thought. I'm probably being stupid and not really looking, but this stuff should be more obvious. Changing your water pump belt would be a pain in the neck. You have to take off all three belts just to replace that one. And I can't even figure out how to get my P/S belt off!

thanks for the support with the tire situation.

yep. the tires will do it. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the speedos are known for breaking. The tachs, on the other hand, those have a reputation of malfunctioning over time. It has something to do with the voltage regulator. I think there's a fix in the how-to section.

Do like I believe most of us here do, timing belt, water pump, drive belts all at the same time, saves time and money in the long run :)