Snow? Anyone? Not yet?

1994SEV6

Just curious, does anyone have snow yet?

I'm over here in Maryland on the East Coast and our temperatures are still moderate. I'm wearing t-shirts in the day time still, and it's December 21st!!!

We aren't known for extreme weather, but we can sure get a foot or two of snow if everything happens right.

I was just wondering if the whole country (or continent for your Canadians) is on the warm side, or if it's only in my area? Just something to be curious about.

I can't wait for the first snow and 4x4 adventure.

Also..I can't seem to get the drain/fill plugs out of my differentials. I took a 1/2inch ratchet to the plug, but I couldn't get it. I tried to get the fill plug on the rear diff, but I couldn't get a good position. It wouldn't budge. It's some cheapo Harbor Freight POS, so I don't want to put too much pressure on it. Are there any tricks to these? It's got a bit of gunk on it, but nothing too bad.

Got maybe 4 inchs back around turkey day. but it melted the following day. Had a light dusting today, I wont hold my breath but christmas is always nicer with some of that white stuff.

Yeah, the first time I changed my fluid there where tighter then hell, I mean rachet hole enlarging tight. Try tighting them a little and then loosening them. Sometimes that works.

Just curious, does anyone have snow yet?

I'm over here in Maryland on the East Coast and our temperatures are still moderate. I'm wearing t-shirts in the day time still, and it's December 21st!!!

We aren't known for extreme weather, but we can sure get a foot or two of snow if everything happens right.

I was just wondering if the whole country (or continent for your Canadians) is on the warm side, or if it's only in my area? Just something to be curious about.

I can't wait for the first snow and 4x4 adventure.

Also..I can't seem to get the drain/fill plugs out of my differentials. I took a 1/2inch ratchet to the plug, but I couldn't get it. I tried to get the fill plug on the rear diff, but I couldn't get a good position. It wouldn't budge. It's some cheapo Harbor Freight POS, so I don't want to put too much pressure on it. Are there any tricks to these? It's got a bit of gunk on it, but nothing too bad.

It rarely snows here but it's been freezing every night for a week or two. No real rain though, and that it's self is weird!! I'm installing a sump pump in December to deal with rains that should have been here in November, that I now expect to get in January... :scratchhead:

Speaking of things to buy, one I forgot to mention is a breaker bar in 1/2" drive and a set of sockets (impact if you can afford). Don't go any farther with the ratchet, you might break it. Try ringing it (hitting with a hammer) and applying penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc). Yes, they can be very tight (never changed from the factory) and need some encouragement.

B

Nothing here in South Lake Tahoe. It was 7 degrees yesterday morning. Not good for a town that's economy relies on snow .

wow! 7 degrees. that's pretty wicked. rely on snow? a ski resort or something?

I just looked up South Lake Tahoe. That's in California! It snows in California??? it gets down to 7 degrees in California?! wha?

Edited by 1994SEV6

Im in NOrthern Virginia. A nice 50ish today. Ridic. Honestly contemplatting my next truck to be a 2wd, since I hardly ever (never) go off road and we have yet to see any real snow, aside from the late 2009 and early 2010 blizzards. :thumbsdown:

south lake tahoe is on the eastern border of california on the mountains, so yes it snows.

you can basically experience it ALL in california. nice beaches, snowy mountains, redwood forests....

This should be read, Nude beachs, Snow boarding, and Plenty of fire wood.

• Like 1

Went to the Summit yesterday for a little boot on my sled, Theres almost 3 feet of powder before you hit the hardpacked stuff. Got stuck about 500 times trying to hill climb with my M8.

I think theres about 3 and a half feet in town right now. Its snowing pretty hard right now to so that could grow! =P

wow! 7 degrees. that's pretty wicked. rely on snow? a ski resort or something?

I just looked up South Lake Tahoe. That's in California! It snows in California??? it gets down to 7 degrees in California?! wha?

*snort* Ya'll ain't from around here, are ya?? :D

south lake tahoe is on the eastern border of california on the mountains, so yes it snows.

you can basically experience it ALL in california. nice beaches, snowy mountains, redwood forests....

You forgot deserts. Mojave, Death Valley, etc but yeah that's pretty much correct. Only thing we don't have is tropics...

This should be read, Nude beachs, Snow boarding, and Plenty of fire wood.

And weed dude. Lots and lots of weed, Dude...

B

Friday night I was at Snoqualmie Pass and we had about 8" come down on us before we left and a few more on the way out. Roads were shut down going to the Pass (good thing we got there early) and were getting ready to shut down on the way out (good thing we left there early) Got to pass lots of spun out, stuck, stopped and very slow vehicles. Wish I had brought gear to help some ppl but at least I'm glad we took my pathy instead of my buddies Honda.

Friday night I was at Snoqualmie Pass and we had about 8" come down on us before we left and a few more on the way out. Roads were shut down going to the Pass (good thing we got there early) and were getting ready to shut down on the way out (good thing we left there early) Got to pass lots of spun out, stuck, stopped and very slow vehicles. Wish I had brought gear to help some ppl but at least I'm glad we took my pathy instead of my buddies Honda.

that sounds like quite the adventure.

I've seen some FF vehicles FLY over snow. When I was calling around people on craigslist to buy Nissan trucks, I often talked about snow and 4wd. A lot of the guys were pretty knowledgeable about Nissans, 4wd, and stuff like that. On at least 3 occasions, the sellers would tell me about some CRX or Civic or small front wheel drive car they had that would pass big 4wd trucks by the dozens on snow.

)

It's gonna get cold tonight and tomorrow morning (30 degrees F), but it's going to be 59F again by Saturday..so the news says.

We've had a little snow, but mostly it's been rainy and freezing up at night. It almost feels like Seattle.

I did a semester at WSU a couple years ago, and it got down to -11 one night. It was so cold, car exhaust would freeze to the ground. I'll take this weather over that any day.

Edited by Slartibartfast

This one is in Texas. We'll be lucky to get a snow day this month or next. Somehow, I doubt that happening, given the recent string of 70-degree days.

Also, massive Stage-4 drought, so not even any rain.

wow. Just curious, what part of Texas? I was in Houston for about a week when I was 12 years old or so. Out of curiosity I asked if they got snow and someone said something like "oh no, the only place in Texas that gets snow is Armadillo (probably remembering that completely wrong) which is 12 hours north"

Snowing again today, only about -15, and about 4 inches so far.

Wow. That's nippy.

We've had a little snow, but mostly it's been rainy and freezing up at night. It almost feels like Seattle.

I did a semester at WSU a couple years ago, and it got down to -11 one night. It was so cold, car exhaust would freeze to the ground. I'll take this weather over that any day.

That's pretty spooky. I bet it would misery but I would love to see that.

Anyway...I live about 10 miles from Wash. D.C. Our weather is pretty ridiculous.

Yesterday it was about 35 degrees. Over night it got down to like.12F. This morning it was a brisk 14F. That's probably the coldest weather I've experience in a loooooong time. It "warmed" up to a whopping 31F. This weekend it's supposed to be 59 again. I think I mentioned that but it's just crazy.

Oh yeah, there was a 5 minute blizzard yesterday. I was in class and saw the wildest winds out of the window. I swear, with that wind, those snow flakes might have cut your face or something.

All this cold weather makes me wonder..how does anyone work on their cars in the winter? Of all times, my dad had to change his oil last night when it was 25 degrees. He's been putting it off for weeks and he does it then. The whole time he was doing it (I was handing him tools and holding the light) I was thinking to myself "do it in the spring...do it in the spring...spring!!! warmer!!!"

My truck needs a good bit of work. One of my calipers is leaking, I have a torn CV boot, the suspension is most likely stock.. I don't want to leave that stuff until spring, but how does anyone work on their stuff in the winter? I know some people probably have nice warm garages, but not me.

That gave me another thought. If it's cold for me, now, then how to people in Alaska and Canada EVER do car work? Do you guys just tough it out? I'm all for chilly weather, but my hands go numb in just a few minutes. That's no fun

Edited by 1994SEV6