Dual Shocks .... Can It be done on our WD21?

William

Hi All,

I've always fantasized about having dual shocks on my WD21. If not important for the

sake of off-road functionality, at least for the LOOKS of if :wub:

Q: Can it be done?

Q: Are the brackets available in the market or need to be fabricated?

Q: Do you know anyone who did them with how to's and pics?

William

Everything is going to be custom... I'm not even sure how you would go about putting more than one shock on the front. the ONE shock tube hardly fits through the upper control arm.

also, this is going to make your rig ride like it DOESN'T have a suspension. very very stiff!

1. Yes

2. your gonna have too fab it.

3. Not that I know of.

Its gonna ride stiffer, not like its down on the bump stops but harsher then 1 shock.

Why do you want duel shocks in front?

I just like the Dual Shock "Looks" and was under the impression that Dual shocks will give a smoother ride. I am obviously wrong about that :blush02:

I have the triple shock front and dual shock rear setup from my hardbody, the front used a shock hoop and the 2 shocks connected from the hoop to the top of the UCA (making them very short), the UCA had tabs on it with a thick spacer in the middle to seperate the 2 shocks, the stock shock remains in it's stock location. I never installed the shock hoops and they are in my storage waiting, LOL For the rear in the hardbody they had a bracket that mounted over the studs that the shock would normally go onto, the bracket than held the 2 shocks.

Normally when running multiple shocks you can get certain shocks that are valved to be used in multiples.

all these parts were from Jim Connor Racing.

One of my never installed hoops painted in Nunya's favorite color:

20f3vrs.jpg

rear shock setup can be seen here:

2nqxpua.jpg

front triple shock setup can be seen here:

6jkcpw.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy
  • Like 2

yeah the Jim Conner setups were geared towards baja racing and hard hit landings. the Dual shocks mounted UP in the wheel well and attached to a Jim Conner UCA.

After so many hits a shock heats up and becomes worthless until it cools so 2 or 3 shocks were used to increase the damping oil volume and distributing the load across 2 or 3 shocks reduced the heat of each individual shock.

I take it that none of the JIM CONNER multiple-shock brackets are available nowadays :(

can they still be sourced from somewhere?

I also read that in the old days, NIZMO made multiple shock brackets for our WD21. I also

reckon non of these are available nowadays.

William

Duals are nice but...

If you already have new shocks and want to improve ride quality without spending too much money then look into fixing sway bar links and bushings and new coil springs.

Well actually, The COILS are brand new (from 4x4Parts) providing the rear lift.

The front end has been recently completely re-vamped with brand new RED bushings

from ENERGY SUSPENSIONS (Sway Bar Links, Sway Bar Bushings, UCA Bushings,

LCA Bushings, ...) The Rear Bushings are on my to-do list.

I felt that the DUAL shocks will give me a softer ride. Right now the ride is

kinda rough, not very stable on the Highway, and needs a lot of concentration to

keep it steady.

Probably due to the BIG BFG 33x12.5R15 running on the ultra WIDE MT 15x10!

You can't get mush ride out of a WD21 Pathfinder. It's just not happening. The suspension is designed to perform off-road so it won't be as great on the road. I can explain why it rides bad compared to an average car (or even an R50 Pathfinder) as well but don't want to jack the thread.

The truck shouldn't ride that bad even with the tires and wheels you are running, unless you have the torsion bars cranked up too much and they are sitting on the bumpstops, if that is the case you could install thinner bumpstops, but if the bars ARE cranked that much it will lead to other problems. If the torsion bars are not cranked a lot what shocks are you running now?

The truck shouldn't ride that bad even with the tires and wheels you are running, unless you have the torsion bars cranked up too much and they are sitting on the bumpstops, if that is the case you could install thinner bumpstops, but if the bars ARE cranked that much it will lead to other problems. If the torsion bars are not cranked a lot what shocks are you running now?

Well during the BL, I installed a set of brand new RANCHO 9000X shocks:

* Rancho RS999322 Shock (Front)

* Rancho RS999112 Shock (Rear)

The UCA's lower anchor is like ~2 inches away from the factory bump stop (which I plan to remove

and replace with a low profile one from Energy Suspensions). I don't believe I am hitting the front bump stops

while driving (Maybe if I am fast over speed bumps or pavement holes).

The bad driving quality I am experiencing is a normal cruising speeds on the highway. the car does

not feel very "safe".

William

Edited by William

So your saying the contact area of the upper control arm is sitting 2" above the bump stops? How close is the lower control arm to the bump stops?

If I understand what you are saying there shouldn't be that much space between the UCA and the bump stop. While driving if you hit a bump, that pushes the control arms upward and if you have that much space between the UCA and it's bump stop than that means the lower control arm is practically sitting against it's bump stop which would make the ride feel rough as the lower control arm is hitting the bump stop.

Of course if you drove into a hole the control arms would move downward until the UCA makes contact with it's bump stops.

Not feeling safe on the highway? what do you mean by that? does the truck seem wobbly or like the steering is on the edge? If so you may need an alignment.

Not feeling safe on the highway? what do you mean by that? does the truck seem wobbly or like the steering is on the edge? If so you may need an alignment.

Yeah I am not sure what he's saying here. If all the bushings are good (especially the tension rod bushings) it should drive fairly smooth. An alignment might be a good idea too. What I'm saying is it will never drive as good as a car though.

Well he says he runs 33x12.5 tires. It's going to wander a little more than usual with them. Make sure your alignment is good. A steering damper may not be a bad idea either. Also make sure your front end (ball joints, tie rods, drag link, idler arm) are all tight.

Also if you don't have a panhard bar drop bracket, your truck will always pull left and it feels really weird going over bumps and such because you always pull the wheel right a bit to compensate so the truck goes nuts on dips.

Edited by adamzan

Well he says he runs 33x12.5 tires. It's going to wander a little more than usual with them. Make sure your alignment is good. A steering damper may not be a bad idea either. Also make sure your front end (ball joints, tie rods, drag link, idler arm) are all tight.

Also if you don't have a panhard bar drop bracket, your truck will always pull left and it feels really weird going over bumps and such because you always pull the wheel right a bit to compensate so the truck goes nuts on dips.

I might be slightly OFF on the dimensions I mentioned above (2"). I'll take a couple of photos

with the wheel out with dimensions and show you. Maybe you can see a problem that I don't see

in there. That will have to wait till I return home of course :)

BTW, what is PAN HARD BAR DROP BRACKET? Is that a stock element or an aftermarket?

William

What is it good for?

And where can it be sourced?

William

Its to aid in centering the axle on lifed vehcles. Only consider one if you have 3" or more of suspension lift.

Edited by MY1PATH

Its to aid in centering the axle on lifed vehcles. Only consider one if you have 3" or more of lift.

Well I have a 3" SL + 3" BL. Where can I get one? How much does it cost?

William