A/T tires

iPath

What are some selling points of an A/T tire over a normal street tire? Obviously they are better offroad but I need some perks that a PARENT would like. I'll be needing new tires this coming winter and thankfully my mother is helping me out with this because I'm currently in school, I'm very grateful. Since SHE is buying them most likely she will want to get a good street tire, how can I persuade otherwise?

For example, we put Yokohama Geolander A/T tires on my wife's 99 R50. They are quite reasonably priced, less than many 'street' tires in fact, but do not appear aggressive. They handle well, are quiet, work well in wet conditions, don't negatively affect gas mileage from what I can tell and are probably superior to most 'street' tires in snow and dirt conditions. Here is the real point; why have a 4x4 if you don't give it a little better traction than the minivan that just passed you??

I highly recommend them for all around conditions and have read positive first hand reviews. What is there about these that Mom will have an issue with?? :shrug:

hUBS024.jpg

B

Another tire you may want to check out is the Goodyear wrangler duratrac. I know a lot of people locally with the tire, it looks aggressive and is great in the winter and in the mud. It actually has a pretty soft compound with lots of sipes so it works well on icy and wet roads.

What B said.

Buy the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S and you'll be really happy with them. Great tire for a really good price. I honestly don't think you can beat them at that price point. Check tire rack for the best price before you order locally. I've wheeled with them and use them for my day to day city driving and I love them.

I've never run a A/T but one positive thing I've found with these hankook M/Ts is they don't hydroplane. I've hit some large puddles on the road and it doesn't even pull the wheel to one side.

James

I would guess that if you want on-road performance then an AT tire is not the way to go. But they are fine on the road (I have the Duratracs that Adamzan mentioned), and clearly better off road, which is why I own the truck in the first place.

I have Yokohama Geolanders on my R50 and they have about 40% tread left on them. They ride very well on the street and you would be surprised they run perfect for me off road lol. Although they are not ment for all the mudding, un-even ground riding and major hill climbing, I have had no problem at all with them, they're great! Like I said, they're great on the street as well. Great in the rain as-well

I suggest them to you, my friend.

My last set of tires I had was the Geolanders AT/S. Actually still have them on the factory rims. This is definately the way to go. Good all around tires for all seasons, and doesnt affect mpgs. Ill be the 5th to agree to this brand. Currently i have the Goodyear Duratracs and i love them, but i dont drive my pathy everyday...Id get an AT if it was my daily driver

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a set of Definity Dakota on my R50 and have put about 1000 miles on them. They ride super nice on the highway, no road noise what-so-ever. I jumped on the buy three get one free deal at pep-boys so i saved about 140 too. I was in the same boat as you but fortunately I got a bonus from work so i was able to pay for my tires myself. A little extra meat on your tires never hurt anybody.....