My New Bumper

Dunno about California, but in Washington if I remember correctly they're cool with it so long as it doesn't stick way out and there's a place for the turn signals and plate and all. But yeah, I would not want to get hit by that! On the plus side, no more shopping cart dings.

@OP looks great!

:laugh: BWAHAHAHA and thus begins my quest to build the ultimate shopping cart smasher :crazy:

Is that street legal?

That could cause serious damage.

Looks good though!

It's legal in AZ. Forgot about the front plate issue when I move to NY but I can always make a receiver cap that acts as a plate mount. I have new LED strip lights that I'm using for turn signals. They are mounted to the lower corners of the grill. Once I get the plate mount it should be legal in every state. AZ doesn't require a front plate.

185507_10150272600993087_732603086_7586187_7666357_n.jpg

The bed liner is going on it right now. First coat on the inside of the bumper is on and drying right now. I'm using Dupli-Color BED ARMOR. Hope it turns out good. Most likely will only use two coats on the inside and 3 on the outside were it's most likely to take some damage.

You're moving to Syracuse? That is relatively close to me, should come up here for some wheeling in Canada.

You could just screw the plate to one of the sides of the bumper, like this:

15003_1302425795560_1077900053_30722554_1395895_n.jpg

You're moving to Syracuse? That is relatively close to me, should come up here for some wheeling in Canada.

You could just screw the plate to one of the sides of the bumper, like this:

15003_1302425795560_1077900053_30722554_1395895_n.jpg

May just hit you up on that offer once I figure out what needs to be done to my credit to buy a house up there. If all else fails I guess we'll rent but we're trying to avoid that option like the plague. It's real frustrating I wanted to move up there this summer and now it looking like next spring.

Forgot about the front plate issue when I move to NY but I can always make a receiver cap that acts as a plate mount.

An idea for you might be to get a rear plate mount off an 80's GM car that had the fuel filler behind the rear plate. It's spring loaded and folds down for when you need behind it (then spring back up against whatever is in the reciver hole in your case) then when your done will spring back into position. I have one of these set up on my tire carrier since I plan to eventually make a rear bumper and might mount my plate in the carrier depending on the design I eventually do.

(I didn't do it for it's spring loaded capabilities though, more just for the ease and simplicity of making a plate mount, as I currently have no reason to have to 'flip' it)

An idea for you might be to get a rear plate mount off an 80's GM car that had the fuel filler behind the rear plate. It's spring loaded and folds down for when you need behind it (then spring back up against whatever is in the reciver hole in your case) then when your done will spring back into position. I have one of these set up on my tire carrier since I plan to eventually make a rear bumper and might mount my plate in the carrier depending on the design I eventually do.

(I didn't do it for it's spring loaded capabilities though, more just for the ease and simplicity of making a plate mount, as I currently have no reason to have to 'flip' it)

Great idea. I'll be pulling one on my next trip to the wrecking yard and see how I like it. If nothing more maybe I can use it for the rear bumper.

how did you cut your fenders? they look good

I used a very thin disk on a 4.5 grinder. Just went slow to try an avoid getting it too hot.

also wondering whatyou used for mounting brackets

Metal lol. ???? Sorry I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Upper mount is 3/16th plate like the rest of the bumper. Lower mount we used some angle iron and some 3/16th plate to create a more boxed in mount. We wanted to use square tube but the stuff we had was too thin and we couldn't find a steel yard open. So we did it the hard way.

I hope that answers your question. If not please explain a little more.

The body sheet metal is thin enough to use aviation sheers on if you didn't want to use a cutoff wheel. I cut mine a 1/4" long and bent it over to restrengthen the edge when I cut my 88s.

I used a very thin disk on a 4.5 grinder. Just went slow to try an avoid getting it too hot.

Metal lol. ???? Sorry I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Upper mount is 3/16th plate like the rest of the bumper. Lower mount we used some angle iron and some 3/16th plate to create a more boxed in mount. We wanted to use square tube but the stuff we had was too thin and we couldn't find a steel yard open. So we did it the hard way.

I hope that answers your question. If not please explain a little more.

I was more wondering what you used for a template to cut them out

thanks

No a 4x4 sheet would be too small. The top plate on the bumper is longer than 48 inches.

We used the stock mounts as a template for the upper mounts. However there was quite a bit of fitting, measuring, cutting, and tack welding to make sure everything was right where we wanted it. We started with the top plate. Made sure we got the curve of the grill just right and then created the corners (the parts that requires the fenders to be cut). After that we made the front center plate. Made sure it was center and square. Then we placed it on the truck holding it up with a floor jack. Made sure it was right where we wanted it. Bolted the stock mounts in with a 3/16th spacer between the mount and the frame. Then we tacked the stock mounts to the bumper. Pulled the bumper and then used that as a template for the new mount. Once we created the new mount we cut the old one off.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...