Can I add HID lights?

findmypath

I have a 03 LE and I was wondering whether or not to put HID's. Does Nissan offer HID for Pathfinders like the QX4 has since it looks like the headlight assembly is very similar to that of the Pathfinder. Has anyone put HID's on their Pathfinder and has any suggestions??????????? Any information or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, you can install an HID kit, but you'll only have low beam headlights from then on. HID's only run at one light level. Plus, the reflectors inside your headlights aren't made to use the kind of light those put out very well. It might look cool, but there are quite a few drawbacks.

There are a lot of general HID conversion websites out there, even kits available on ebay that are supposedly fairly decent and easy to install. The problem is you won't really have the HID effect without the projector headlights, and those may be a bit more of a challenge to fab up. Here is 1 quick example.

HID website

I suppose it could be done, but please do everyone a favor and dont do it. It might make your car a little cooler, more unique, and a visibility a tad better, but its painful to anyone in front of you. Also pretty dangerous in my opinion.

Ellison

Yeah, they do look cool, but you won't get nearly the visibility and illumination that you're expecting with your stock headlight reflectors themselves; like people already said. I'd just upgrade your bulbs if you're looking for cooler lights. =)

so has anyone heard of putting qx4 headlamps on the Pathfinder? looks like the 02-04 models at least should be almost identical. the only difference of course being that the qx is one peice. maybe with a little trimming??

I have the Silverstar Halogens and I like them. They are not HID, but they increase visibility and have an HID esque output color. Simple bulb swap and you keep the LO/HI switching and you don't need to re aim.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never heard of it but I will be doing it this week, i never even thought of that, I am going to go to a collision centre and buy the headlights off a 2002 QX4 and I will swap them, I WILL PREVAIL!!

I will let you all know how it goes, plus the coolest thing about the QX4 lights is you can adjust them up and down from inside the car.

• 8 months later...

You will have to change the hood and front grill... I've considered doing it myself, and if you can find a wrecked QX4 it should all be bolt on. You'll need the hood, and the center fascia. I believe everything else will be the same. Have you checked it out yet?

If you want to do a real HID swap, you'll likely also need to grind or cut some sheetmetal away from the headlamp opening (as well as get new body panels). The HID lamps have other components on them, such as ballasts and leveling motors, that occupy more space than the halogens.

There will probably also be some wiring harnesses and connectors that you'll need as well. I had to do this when I swapped in my JDM HID lamps.

In all, the lamps I got have 4 connectors:

low-beam HID lamp

high-beam halogen lamp

integrated marker lamp

horizontal aiming motor

New QX4's definitely have the headlamp aiming motors and a dashboard rotary switch that has 4 positions.

IMG_5321.jpg

More pics here

XPLORx4,

Where on earth did you find the headlights :eek: ...i am sick with envy :oops:

Those are very hott lights, i spent time looking for those since you posted :type: ...can't see them anywhere else..can you hook a pathy lovin goober up?? Where can i get a set and how many ducketts??

Edited by 98silverpathy

so everytime i look at these pics from your link and the pic that you posted this truck really looks japanese witht the addition of those headlights. :bow:

i can see quickly how it would be a lot of work to install...but obviously well worth it!!!

Where on earth did you find the headlights...

Where can i get a set and how many ducketts??

Well, uh, I don't think you're gonna like my answer....

Earlier this year, my wife and I traveled to New Zealand for a vacation. While I was there, I saw quite a few Pathfinders with the JDM HID lamps, and so I decided to stop by the Nissan dealer in Aukland to see if I could get a set. (The lamps are of course, not available in North America.) They quoted me NZ$6000 (at the time about US$4000) for the pair of lenses, which didn't even include ballasts or the aiming motors! :o :wacko: The parts guy referred me to a local wrecking yard about 20 minutes away, so I drove down there and the owner told me that, to his knowledge, he had the only set of secondhand JDM headlamps in the entire country, and he'd just gotten them a week earlier! He'd already received about 10 inquiries from insurance companies regarding the lamps, but he told me that since I was standing there in front of him, credit card in hand, I had first dibs! The price, though, was still NZ$3000 (US$2000). Still very freaking expensive, but I figured this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and my wife was willing to let me spend the $$, so I bought them.

The cool thing about it was that the junkyard still had the front end from the R50 they had pulled the lights from, so I was able to go over to it and pull off all of the necessary connectors and wiring harnesses for the lights. Without those, it would have been a lot harder to make everything work.

I drove around New Zealand for the next two weeks, while we continued our holiday, with the headlamps packaged up for the flight home. I was constantly worried that someone would break into our campervan and they'd get stolen!

Wow, nice work!. :clap: :cool2:

may I ask where did you get those headlamps?. :help:

I saw them before in some pictures of japo's pathy only.

I would like to make the same change into mine.

Regards.