Catalytic Converter thieves?

Qx4donald

Not to stir a jinx upon Pathfinder/Qx4 owners, but are Pathfinder owners subject the threat of catalytic converter thieves?

As most of you know, there was significant attention drawn to thieves targetting catalytic converters to mine the Plantinum out of them.

My question is:

I guess all cat.'s are made with some Pt in them, but some more than others (thus Toyota early-year pick-ups were targetted most for having most Pt content)... what about the Pathfinders? I looked under the truck and realized how large the cat was, and was wondering if it was significat enough to attract thieves? Especially since many Pathfinder owners are prone to lifting their trucks up.

anybody ever had their cat stolen in any of their cars or their Pathfinder?

If they can cut the damned thing outta there without me waking up.... They can have it! haha, Ive never heard of this happening on streets, But out at our wrecking yard in town something like 200 Cats were Stolen from the vehicles there.

I have not heard of Pathfinders being targeted specifically, but my buddy's 4 runner's cat was stolen. To make it worse, he paid $700 for a stealership to install and OEM unit. When he told me that, I said that if he had told me I could have set him up with a high flow cat installed for about $200. :doh:

B

I know wd21 cats wer a good one to have for scrappers, they are generally on the higher end of the price scale. Generally on par with the known pricy Toyota ones. Downfall (well plus for thiefs) is 4bys are a bit easier to sneak under to cut em off. (older s-series suck, they run right above a crossmember and are a tight squeeze to get out). Usless waste of life thiefs generally know what they can get easiest though and get the most out of with least effort... Roll under a 90s Toyota 4x once and see how open and easy it is to get to... There's a reason they're targeted.

Good ol Platinum. The Converter on my R50 looks to be interesting to take, its tucked up pretty nicely. Though where there is a will, there is a way... There used to be a lot of it going on over here in P-town but last few years I haven't heard much of it.

P-town as in Prince George? =D just a guess!

Sorry man I meant Portland, OR. So used to Typing on local forums I tend to type lazy :)

It is interesting how they do it so efficiently, What are they using exactly?

Last time I cut my exhaust out with a saw, it was louder then crap. and a hack saw would be a little cramped.

Cordless sawzall with the right blade and know what to target and to would be amazed how quick you can snag a converter... (I ain't a thief either to know this, just scrap a bunch of cars and have lots of experience hackin em off. Certian pieces are worth much more when removed and sold to different scrappers)

Yeah... the reason I brought this up was that a co-work of mine who owns a mid-90's toyota tacoma had their cat/converter cut out some time ago... and it was AT WORK!

We have at least 4000employees here on site (but all within the building of course during work hours) and I thought it was really ballzy for someone to roll under the truck, sawzall it off and leave.

I'm assuming it only took a matter of minutes since the truck was indeed lifted and you can crawl under there if so desired.

Not to say our security here sucks, but after having lifted mine a litte bit from the OME's, I was just wondering if I should ever be surprised when I come out to start my car and I hear loud brapbrappbrraapbraapp's.

Not that I have major lift, or maybe shouldn't even be considered "lift", but nonetheless, it high enouch for someone to roll underneath and jab a sawzall up into the Q's gut.

Edited by Qx4donald

Yep, happens a lot more than people think, being a truck or SUV its up higher off the ground than a passenger car and not hidden up in the engine bay, so its easier to get to for thieves

You can get $20-50 at a scrap yard for them.

I know about the sawzall, but they are fairly noisy when been used. Especially 50 in one lot.

cut and run... normally they hit mall lots round here when there is a string of em and they don't hit every single target, only a couple scattered easy ones

those 'Yotas get hit so easily because of the easy factor like was said earlier... to start with they are easy to fit under a 4x, especially a lifted one and to make life easier the exhaust runs lower than the frame instead of in between the rails/above some of the cross braces like say a wd21... thiefs are lazy, hell if they wanted to do hard labor for money they would get legitimate jobs!

They can steal mine if they want. I bought a high flow, but didn't put it on because the old one was just fine (thought it was clogging up, but it was the muffler that was clogged).