What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Well I went to pull the fouled spark plugs to clean them and two of the wires were stuck to the plugs so they broke. I stopped there and ordered a new set of NGK plugs and wires.

So I started tearing the front end apart.

Are those OEM or aftermarkets you picked up? One of mine doesn't work and the other the lens is broke so I want to replace them. OEM looks expensive but I don't see why I couldn't just find some close to the right size and figure out a way to make them work?

They are aftermarket. I don't know the brand name but my buddy had these laying on his front porch with a pile of others. They are 5" x 2 ". If you turn the bracket 90 degrees from the light they measure 5" tall. I think for the back I am going to try and put a flood light style in the middle of the spare tire.

They are aftermarket. I don't know the brand name but my buddy had these laying on his front porch with a pile of others. They are 5" x 2 ". If you turn the bracket 90 degrees from the light they measure 5" tall. I think for the back I am going to try and put a flood light style in the middle of the spare tire.

New valve cover gaskets, intake plenum gasket (since it has to come off anyway), and wound up replacing all of the coolant/vacuum lines under the intake plenum since quite a few crumbled as I removed them, and the rest were close to being that bad. Discovered a busted vacuum line between charcoal canister and throtle body, fixing that also fixed my intermittent stumble from off-idle. After two days of work, I can honestly say I'd rather do the timing belt 3 times in a row than r&r that upper intake ever again, so I went ahead and replaced 'urrything' that A: wasn't made of metal and B: would require yanking the plenum to get to in the future. Runs like a champ, though! :happy:

Edited by ThaBigPerm

I hear ya on that. While I haven't pulled a plenum on a stock MPFI Pathfinder, I have on an Xterra. A bit of a nightmare with all the crap under it on the backside and against the firewall. I did the same and replaced everything!

Made some progress. The torsion bar bracket was completely loose and was bending the smaller 14mm bolts. I had noticed it looked "off" when I was having my y-pipe made, but once everything was unloaded I realized how close to disaster it was.

Tomorrow is the other side and get the bushings out. That aught to be great.

IMG_20130805_170158_366_zps91418d81.jpg

Made some progress. The torsion bar bracket was completely loose and was bending the smaller 14mm bolts. I had noticed it looked "off" when I was having my y-pipe made, but once everything was unloaded I realized how close to disaster it was.

Tomorrow is the other side and get the bushings out. That aught to be great.

Here I am griping about upper plenum shenanegans, and I've not even gotten to chassis/suspension work yet - of which there is a bit to do on my Pathy :tired:

Forgot to buy a new CV axle so I'm stuck for the night pretty much. Got thenew wheel bearings in the hub, packed, and ready to go. Swapped lower ball joint and cleaned some crap.

For sheits and grins I called a local suspension/brake shop to see what everything I'm doing would cost. Fellow Pathfinder owner picked up and he's already done it to his. Shop rate would be about $800 for labor. He said he'd never do it again unless he had to. :lol:

Did part 1 of 4 transmission drain/refill, drain/refill on transfer case

... And sprayed lysol into vents to kill some of that stank on the evap core

Sent from TapaAtrix

Part 2 of 4 ATF drain/refill, drain/refill on front and rear diff

Sent from TapaAtrix

I still have to do my upper and lower control arm Bushings, the rest are done and I know what you mean about lining up the bolts when putting the compression rod back together. Major pain with poly. That was one of the biggest differences on my truck though

Now I'm hoping that the big bolt on the other side pops right out like this one did. I was prepared for battle but two smacks with the sledge and it was out.

yeah i hear ya. i cant wait to do my lca and uca bushings.... lol. it will be great to have them done, but not so great to do them..... did you burn the lca out? or does it pop out some how? ucas im not too worried about.

i have the prothane bushings sitting in the parts drawer but have not gathered the motivation to do it yet...lol

Edited by Nefarious

I'd give you some of my motivation but its about out! I'm really looking forward to not having to fight the wheel constantly and not get pulled over on the highway for being "drunk."

I burned them out with a cutting torch and then wire brushed what was left. I made a tinfoil shield to stop the flames from getting into the engine compartment and used the skid plate to catch the rubber. My garage smelled like smokey burnouts! UCA bushing sleeves needed some trimming and so did the bushings so they would fully seat, no biggie.

Now, I did run into an issue with the LCA bushings not allowing the two 14mm torsion bar bracket bolts to be in when the arm is slid on. Factory the heads are on the inside of the arm and the nuts on the backside. I was able to run one of them through towards the front and put the nut on the inside, but the other hits one of the cross member bolt heads when the arm articulates. At the moment I've got the one large 19mm bolt and one 14mm bolt. I need to cut the other bolt down and find a really slim nut to go on the inside of the arm so it'll clear. You'll notice if you haven't already that the heads of the bolts are pretty slim. Either that or run it without the third bolt, I can't imagine it going anywhere but I'd like it there and an empty bolt hole is gonna drive me nuts.

started the timing belt replacement on the 94 yesterday, after getting it opened up noticed the crank seal seeping and 1 cam seal leaking hopefully will have it back running this evening. Hate letting Momma drive my 88

Fought with the UCA spindle on the passenger side and torched out the LCA bushing and got the new one in. I need a new spindle, one of the bushing sleeves is locked solid to it and I ended up bending the spindle end trying to drive it out. Gotta fix the compression rod bushing hole too and weld a cup on, its trashed. To the junkyard I go tomorrow!

screwed up the crank seal and had to order another one. Back together and running and installed the maxima fan assembly and

and maxima temp sensor, fan kicks in just above half on the gauge