Tail Light Guards

RustyButTrusty

So I bought some brand new tail light guards the other day off of Craigslist. The ad said that they would work for a 87-92 Pathfinder. Mines an 88, but I know all the WD21's have the same tail light. Problem is the guard is not wide enough. I mean all of the mounting holes line up, and the bracket on the side of the guard is the same shape as the side of the light, but they just won't work. So I got to thinking are these for a hardbody pickup? I've seen pictures, and the taillights on them seem to be a bit narrower than the pathfinders. Does this sound probable?

It goes on the outside of the light, over the black plastic side of the light. Does your's have the adjustable pad on the center of the side hoop? I know originally mine kind of like almost clipped into place over the light (before I bent them up catching them on trees).

• 3 weeks later...

It goes on the outside of the light, over the black plastic side of the light. Does your's have the adjustable pad on the center of the side hoop? I know originally mine kind of like almost clipped into place over the light (before I bent them up catching them on trees).

I also have Manik guards on my taillights though mine have one more wrap-around bar and it looks like the tubes might be bigger diameter?

DSCN9120.jpg

The tab at the front of mine has a screw hole in it. The guards were powder coated after that hole was drilled so I assume they came that way. I drilled my quarter and put a 10-32 SS screw through with a washer and nylock nut on the inside. Big glob of clear silicone to keep it watertight as well. I like the look of the guards and they have probably saved my lights in heavy brush and saplings... but I've also broken a taillight by smacking the guard on a tree.

I also have Manik guards on my taillights though mine have one more wrap-around bar and it looks like the tubes might be bigger diameter?

Hmm, mine were bought new in 2002, they might have changed the design at some point. Mine only bolts to the hatch side of the light.

Hmm, mine were bought new in 2002, they might have changed the design at some point. Mine only bolts to the hatch side of the light.

Interesting that there isn't a hole in that side tab on yours. I'd think brush would wedge between the guard and the quarter panel. Is that a problem? I got mine off of eBay several years ago. They do have the Manik logo'd serial number foil plates on them so even though they were used I'm sure they are Manik. The powdercoat on them is just slightly soft and rubbery.

DSC00140.jpg

Mine has that little pad, it is threaded to adjust it for fitment. Never got anything stuck in there, but caught the driver's side on a tree and yanked it off once.

DSC00141.jpg

The powder coat is kinda rubbery on mine also, I actually left marks in it from my CB antenna mount.

Then that isn't powdercoat!

It may be Velvacoat or something similar though I don't know what was available at the time these guards were made? My coater uses some powders that cure softer than your typical stuff. I have no idea what the material actually is but they only do powder, no wet-sprayed finishes. They put it on restaurant chairs as it is less likely to chip when the chairs get smacked together or knocked over. It also feels 'warmer' to the touch. Kind of hard to describe on the internet. It's not soft like tool dip or vinyl, it's just a tad softer than a 'normal' powder. The surface almost feels tacky, but it isn't.

Anyway, back to taillight guards. I took a couple pics of mine tonight so you guys can see the forward mount. Also note that mine have laser cut bars made of flat stock rather than round bars.

2010-12-29_19-54-24_159.jpg

2010-12-29_19-54-39_536.jpg

Here are my WESTIN Tail Light Guards on my 96...... Also my NEW (to me) Updated taillights thanks to fellow NPORA member "HFX Pathfinders" who I got them from!

photo-1.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96