Props to the Geolander A/T-S

taro

Just wanted to give these tires a mention. I just bought four 31 x 10.50 15 for my 98 pf. I haven't had them off road yet, but I've really enjoyed their wet weather on-road characteristics. Far better than the BFG ATKOs that I had which slipped a lot; but in fairness, the BFGs it turned out were 12 years old. :P

For the price though, I find Yokohamas hard to beat at least when shopping for tires for a Honda Odyssey or a pf.

Thanks for posting this. I have just been flexing the Google search on the site looking for tires and I am square between the Geolander AT/S and the Duelers Revo 2. I have to say this forum seems to be split down the middle and I am needing a tie brake! Pics would be good.

Did you find any rid difference going with a bigger tire?

Since you have the SE you should have not noticed a difference with the power too much because of the 4.6 ration in the transmission but it would be good to know if you saw anything there too.

And pictures would be awesome (x3)

utf-8BSU1BRzA2ODYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA2ODcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA2ODguanBn.jpg

Mine is a 98 SE 5-speed. Almost 200k mi. It needs a lift :)

Price was the biggest influence on my decision. The Revos are much more expensive when you price them out for 4 or 5 tires.

PS- sorry if the pics aren't very good. I uploaded them from my phone and I can't really see how everything's looking

Edited by taro

ModiFinder, thanks. Re: size difference, I bought my pathfinder used with 31 x 10.50 already on them and so I can't comment on any power loss or gearing issues due to a switch from the stock size. I will say thought that the pf has always been fun to drive, especially with older worn out tires ;)

Howie, no rubbing. I did have rubbing with the BFG ATKOs. I just got in the habit of not going to full lock, until you asked and i tried last night. re: any rubbing due to suspension travel, i don't remember any with the bfgs--definitely no damage due to contact with the wheel wells, etc. hth

Good tire!! Reasonably priced, fairly sticky, great wet weather characteristics and general all around good riding tire. I can't comment on off road ability, but I'd be surprised if they weren't adequate for an AT...

hUBS024.jpg

B

I think those are sweet tires. I put a set on my wife's car 2 years ago and they are great on the street (wet/dry) and do well in light and moderate snow (up to 1' or so - but then her car acts more like a plow). I would tend to agree that they aren't great on ice, but then again, I have yet to drive on a set of tires that made me feel comfortable on ice (probably the driver, me, and not the tires!).

I wheel with a guy who has a set of 32's on his 4Runner and he swears he'll never go back to a BFG AT:

Yoko%27s%201.jpg

yoko%27s%202.jpg

I purchased a set of Geolander AT/S's in Nov. 2008 and god do i love them. Id say i have 40% left and have put 30k on them. They do great in dry and wet conditions and are wonderful in the snow. Ive only done mild offroading, primarily sandy/muddy conditions and have performed well. I will be purchasing another set when i wear these out! And i got 255/65/16 on factory wheels.

Nice job Yokohama!

Taro. Thanks again. I have been on the fence for over a month now and I think the comments on this post just pushed me over to the Geolanders. They are $113 per tire vs $155 for the Duelers and budget is a constraint.

ModiFinder, you're welcome :)

Howie, FYI: I had some rubbing today at 32 degrees that I didn't experience at 19 degrees for some reason. It's only to the right at full lock, just like with the BFGs.

Thanks to all for their feedback. It's reassuring to hear the positive experiences of others.

Edited by taro

i have 235/75/15 and they are great on dry pavement and water, but i've taken them off road many times, gotten stuck every single time, and in the snow, they just don't get traction. there is an inersection where a neighbor hood meets a highway road, 35 meeting 55 mph, and i almost slid right into cross traffic on them. i took them off that afternoon. the bfgs haven't slid once.

here's some pics and video of them off road...

0304172754.jpg

0304172726.jpg

0304172741.jpg

0304172616.jpg

the biggest problem they have, the tread doesnt clean well at all!!

0304172540.jpg

video of that spot...

th_Video-0010.jpg

th_Video-0011.jpg

on the grannies, stuck....

these pics were taken the weekend after i bought them...

P2160028.jpg

on the cragar's, stuck...

tires about 4 weeks old, rims, 2 days old.

i was actually riding the hump and the wall, when a branch, just a branch, about 1" in diameter, was enough to push me right into those damn ruts.

lookingdownthehill.jpg

lookingupthehill.jpg

Edited by skulptr

skulptr, thanks for posting your experiences. It looks like you might be better served by an MT tire versus an AT. My best "hybrid" experience was with the Cooper Discoverer S/Ts. Relatively aggressive tread, but still good on the highway. My Dean Mud Terrains are very squirrely on-road, but this could also be due to the fact that they are only 9.5 inches wide on live axles on both ends

Edited by taro

skulptr, i forgot to add that those are some excellent pictures of the rear wheel tucking into the wheel well!

to anyone who is interested: we just had our "blizzard" of 2010 in tennessee and i'm glad to report that the yokos did great in the snow (about 2") and the resulting ice. if traction became an issue, just putting it into 4 hi did the trick and i didn't get out of sorts at all. of course you had to slow down slowly. the abs came on a few times. i only mention this because in the south, most people think that having 4wd means you can stop on a dime on ice and defy the laws of physics. just to clarify, the ice had texture, it wasn't black ice or super smooth ice. hth

skulptr, thanks for posting your experiences. It looks like you might be better served by an MT tire versus an AT.

Yeah, I just have to reinforce this. Do not confuse AT tires with MT tires because they don't compare, expecially in the real muddy conditions. Probably the one biggest factor in driving/wheeling is having the right tire for the conditions and no one tire can excel at them all... :shrug:

B