Props to the Geolander A/T-S

taro

That is the big problem here in the Pac Northwest, picking the best tire. I go from hard packed dirt, sort of compacted rock with sharp bits, mud, and then to moss and grass in one day out. You sort of have to take your best guess. I need durable for the evil rocks but decent clearing too. I have a set of long trails right now because they were cheap, they do ok on the rock, bit squirrelly on wet moss, and not great in mud. But so far no stuck.

So what we are saying is that if you want a comfortable tire for the highway and city then you will have to give up traction in the mud. And if you get a mud tire then you will be less comfortable and spend more on gas not to mention noise?

And less traction on wet/icy pavement too?? Yes...

People generally go with what works for their offroad/winter needs and deal with it the rest of the year unless they get two sets worked out. One for summer/pavement and the other for winter/dirt. That's the best, obviously...

Then there is the 'winter beater' method also...

There is a 'unofficial tire review' thread in the Product Review section that would be a good read.

B

My friend has these on his hardbody. He had all 4 siped and has no traction issues in snow (we've got 8 inches on Thanksgiving).

be careful with independent shops siping your tires. it's not necessary and it will actually void any and all warranties with the company. if the tire did not come with enough sipes to hold traction in conditions, there's a reason. siping/cutting the tire is considered vandalism by companies and shops. just an FYI.