Tightening Steering play?

WyKi

How do I tighten the steering play? please see the video as that'll explain and show my problem. And that video was taken with the truck off and completely stopped. thanks!

A little bit of play is normal. If is wobbling when driving, as said, you probably need a new center link. Mine was all over the place and I just installed a GrassRoots center link. It fixed 90% of my issues, the other is tie rod ends. Get under the front and check for looseness or play in all of the steering components.

You can tighten the steering box and have less play BUT the steering will be "funny" and the steering wheel won't turn back as easly as before..

That means you've tightened it too much. Turn it 1/8 - 1/4 turns at a time until it is back at an acceptable level.

Mr510 and I turned mine 1/4 of a turn and it was perfect after.

That means you've tightened it too much. Turn it 1/8 - 1/4 turns at a time until it is back at an acceptable level.

Mr510 and I turned mine 1/4 of a turn and it was perfect after.

I tightened and then I had to un-do it... little by little.. I ended up leaving it as before

Another thing just came to mind, check the rag joint in the engine bay by the firewall, make sure it isn't worn out, along with the little U-joint just before the steering box. neither is a common wear spot, but if they get worn they could cause slop like that.

hey guys.. update on that... I took another video of it cuz i was under the truck.. moved the steering shaft and it did the same.. so i guess it's loose inside the steering box. mmm any pics on which bolt to tighten up? i'll upload the vid in a bit.. just have to go get the cam in the truck.

Update....

Here's the video i was telling you guys..

thanks.

So, in that video, you are turning the shaft that leads from the box to the steering wheel? And none of your steering components (centrelink etc.) move at all?

So, in that video, you are turning the shaft that leads from the box to the steering wheel? And none of your steering components (centrelink etc.) move at all?

I have that same play... and no, nothing moves

yea, none of my components move... it's just that play. And with that play I cant lay back and drive with one hand on the wheel.. i have to have both and be moving it from side to side (but not much) only between that play, to drive straight. If i let the wheel go while driving in a straight line it wont start running all over the place, so alignment is good. But I'm tired of that play, due to the other cars that i have dont have that.

You can tighten the box a bit. Loosen the locknut at the top and turn the set screw 1/8-1/2 turn max and then tighten the lock nut again. Take it for a drive and make sure it doesn't bind.

I would go with 1/8 turns and then test each time. 1/8 of a turn was enough to make my box with 200k on it good again.