Defrosting my windows

Ironmask

With the cold temperatures we`ve been having im forced to deal with my age old nemesis...defrosting the windows on my terrano....for work i have to do 10 hour+ drives routinely and driving with the air conditioning on, full heat, full defrost and just barely being about to see out my side windows makes for a miserable drive..my terrano gets up to temperature no problem and stays there but im wondering if theres any modifications i can do to force more air through the vents..also the vents on the back of my terrano seem to do nothing..im talking about the vents behind the 3rd window..should they be sucking the air through my truck or letting fresh air in..will be switching to rubber floor mats to see if that makes a difference...

Thanks!!

Do you have any products like Rain-X over there? wipe your windows with that and you'll have less fog.

Or if your cheap, smear you windows with a THICK dish soap solution and whipe it off with a dry towel. I used to do this in locker/bath room mirrors to keep kids from drawing obcenities in the fog.

Try running a claybar over your windows. also, those rear vents are to allow air to move through the vehicle. Shut your windows, turn your blower on high and put your hand over it, feels like a blow dryer!

My windows seem to stay clear as long as I'm dry and I have the the A/C on, but definitely try cracking a window.

Edited by silverton

Can't feel anything like the blower is off? I noticed my red truck does this when I put it on the highest setting, I have play with the selector a bit for the fan to come on. Doesn't have that problem with the other three speeds though.

if you're going to smear stuff on your windows...try regular old shaving cream, I use that on my motorcycle helmets to stop them from fogging up in cold weather..works great

Really? I will have to try that. I even tried rainx on my helmet and it still fogs up. I guess I'm just full of hot air!

Funny story to go with that. My helmet is a modular flip up and after I put it on I leave the drive way with it up and flip it down once I start rolling. Sometimes it fogs pretty bad but the wind slowly clears it so I flip it down and watch the lines on the side of the road till it clears. (this is at 4:00 in the morning so roads are usually clear) One morning while waiting for it to clear suddenly I feel the whole bike lift and almost through me off! It takes alot to lift a 750# bike plus my 200# off the pavement but it was a big possum. I hit him square across his back lucky for me (not for him) so I didn't lay the bike down. For the next two weeks I had to ride with the visor flipped up till I passed his remains so I didn't run over him again. We got alot of critters crossing the roads down here, I do live in a rural area.

James

I don't think you should feel it coming out the back vents, otherwise how would you keep the air you just heated in the vehicle.

i think it would help out alot with keeping the air flowing...the vents on the back are shaped to create a vacuum and suck the air through the cabin at highway speeds..but right now it only fogs up for me while on the highway..when parked its able to defrost itself in no time...its -38 celcius with the wind chill here right now so motivating myself to go investigate further is pretty hard..

I've had a terrible experience with the no fog Fog-X too.

My rig fogs up a lot too, so I started using rubber floor mats and dump the snow melt from my boots after every drive in the attempt to keep my carpets dry. - It helps.

How are the floorboards under the gas pedal? Since they often rust out there, the carpet underlay could be wet, and when you turn on the heater, and when you are driving, the exhaust could heat up the wet carpets and create steam.