wanting to relocate my spare to roof. . . . .

haascncvf2

my 95 SE has the rear swing arm spare tire mount. i am thinking i want a cage like rack on my roof where i want to secure my spare there...

i was trying to look here on the forum of members rides to see who has a top carries to my liking. . .

i am looking for one that does/will hold accessory lights. and one i can put my spare into and secure it.

any pics or ideas? product references for roof racks ?

thanks in advance

I had mine up there for a short period of time, and it was a pain in the ass. Stick with the tire carrier. IF you ever have to change a tire on a trail, you'll be thankful for it.

Yep, especially if you have large tires and/or heavy rims, putting them on the roof of a lifted truck does you no favors. I'm reasonably strong and I don't care to hoist spare tires over my head. :shrug:

That said, go check the Members Rides section at the bottom of the main page. There are plenty of people with baskets...

B

I guess I'm x5 or 6; I had it up there too. but think about it, your average 31" tire on an aluminum rim can weigh 50~60lbs depending on its constuction.

Imagine the scenarioros for tire change.

if your covered in mud

its raining hard and your along side the freeway

its cold and slippery and your trying to get something off your roof...

I did like it for good weather road trips, frees up my rear view so I can see behind me better...

another way to free up some rear view is to unbolt the tire mount from the gate and put it on upside down. This may block your licence plate but my plate is on the side so I don't have that problem.

i forgot to take into consideration my truck is lifted with the calmini kit;

i looked through my sunroof today while entering a mall parking structure and man it had me nervous;

so um yea; my decision is officially made; negative on the roof mounted spare

i forgot to take into consideration my truck is lifted with the calmini kit;

i looked through my sunroof today while entering a mall parking structure and man it had me nervous;

so um yea; my decision is officially made; negative on the roof mounted spare

I had mine in my rack basket for a while, there was one time I drove through a parking garage and the tire was actually rubbing the support beams as I passed under them. Did no damage, but it was kinda nerve racking. I'm thinking of buying a hitch basket for long trips, and throwing my spare(s) on it to clear up interior space since my 93's spare is mounted inside.

I don't have a tire carrier, but my 33" spare lays flat in the cargo area just fine and held down with ratchet straps. It is about as big a tire will fit back there; any bigger and the rear hatch wouldn't close. A removable rubber mat keeps the area clean.

Edited by MrPlow

Here is the setup I had on my old suburban:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/matapalo/Luv/Mustang/Suburban/DSCN0880.jpg

Am using the same basket on my pathfinder:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/matapalo/Pathfinder/21430018.jpg

Here's a link to the tire carrier hardware I used for the basket when it was on my suburban:

http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/gear-basket-accessories/spare-tire-carrier