Heated Mirrors

Tungsten

So I picked up a set of heated mirrors thanks to one of the members on this forum and now I have to know how to wire them. It appears that the heating units inside the mirrors are powered by two wires, which are red and black. Is it 12v DC? Where are they supposed to be wired to? Are they wired to the defrost switch? Which pins?

mine come on when you hit the defrost button. I've never taken them apart so I can't help you with wiring, but there should be more than two wires since they are also power-adjustable.

I would imagine your rig may already be wired for the mirrors. Remove the door panels and check for small harness taped up. This should reach up to the middle of the door. If you have a service manual, go to the BF section and look at the mirrors. I will try to scan and copy the pages for you.

Oh, and I think mine come on when you turn the rear defroster on.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

So that would be the point of th eother plug on my mirrors... interesting. I gotta canabalize somethign for some wiring now. Hmm (not that having my mirrors defrosted is that important)

You know what guys... After looking under the dashboard, I did find an unplugged harness that looks like it would fit the defrost switch. Almost as if I could already plug them in inside the doors and then swap the connector on the defrost switch underneath the dashboard. Yes my heated mirrors have two connectors, one 3 pin for the swivel and one 2 pin that has the two heat wires.

Edited by Tungsten

That is one of the excellent things about what Nissan did with these trucks. Basically a generic engine/chassis harness, so even if not optioned from the factory, something could easily be added by the consumer.

My XE has the wireplug for the SE foot lighting.

Make sure there is a relay involved. The draw from the mirros is (or any heating element) is usually enough to cook your switch on the dashviannen_09.gif

and the rear defrost relay is mounted in the back so unless you wanna run 20 ft of 10ga wire.

The wiring diagram does show the heated mirror resistors going to a relay so running the 10 ga wire to it might be a possibility. The positive wire goes to the rear window defogger relay and the negative goes to the body ground. It's pretty simple to hook up even without a proper harness.

Edited by Tungsten

My 93 had manual mirrors, windows and locks. I swapped to the heated, power mirrors myself. All the wiring is there from the kickpanel in (basically the defrost switch is already wired to the plug in the kickpanel). It is a shared plug (white) that runs the speaker wires and mirror tilt controls, etc. From there I had no wires, so I went to the J-yard and grabbed the wire bundle from that into the door, it had the power lock and window wiring in the bundle too. I stripped off the power window and lock wires and removed my original speaker only cable and fed the new one (speaker, tilt and heat) into the door and plugged it into the mirror and speakers and plug on the kick panel. I had to add the tilt control joystick to the dash, and the plug connector for it was sitting right behind the blank on the dash.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok trouble...

94heatedmirror2.jpg

The wires highlighted in yellow may not have been available on the 91 so even if I get the harness for inside the doors, highlighted red, it just may not work.

Edited by Tungsten

No, just pull the front console where the switch is and go off of that, even if you fuse and relay it elsewhere...

B

I forgot you have the old square dash so I don't know what that would be like. On the round dashes it's easy to get to.

Edited by Precise1
darn archaic models

I'm looking at wiring diagrams. Perhaps I can shove two wires per side through the rubber dingus in the door and not mess with factory wiring. Then they will be routed to what looks like the defrost relay.

I have to look at some more diagrams in the FSM but it looks like I may be able to wire them to the defrost fuse.

Nevermind that...

I will look for the 296M harness wires somewhere behind the kickpanel and there is also a body ground there that I need.

Edited by Tungsten