WJ Coil Spring Retrofit

shift220

First of all, I have to thank Jason over at Iron Rock Offroad for his help in this project. He was kind enough to open up boxes and measure up springs for me.

The springs of choice for me were the 3" WJ lift coils.

WJ 3" coils spring specs:

4 5/8" I.D. approx.

6" O.D. approx.

15 1/4" free length if you cut off the pigtail

Spring rate: 175 lbs/inch

Here is how they compare to the stock springs

IMG_1832.jpg

You can see the little pigtails that the springs have. What I did was cut off both ends and ended up with a spring with the 4 5/8" ID.

IMG_1839.jpg

This worked perfect on the top where the spring sits in the body. I was even able to use the rubber isolator. Now on the bottom, the spring seat is to wide to fit inside the WJ coil. It did slip over with the weight on the wheels but you would hear a "boung" sound when going over bumps. Also, it sat 1.5" low compared to the front. So to fix this, I made some simple adapters and welded them to the stock perch.

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

This resulted in a perfectly level Pathfinder with the 4" SFD on the front. If I were to do it again, I would cut the pigtail off the top but leave the one on the bottom. This way, all I would need to do is weld a short piece of 3" pipe on the stock perch and the spring would sit right on there.

So there we have it, no more need for $300 custom springs. I consider the ride better then stock with the new spring rate as well.

• Like 1

AWESOME MAN!!! Now I dont have to order custom coils, site says about 150 for the springs? Kudos to you for finding this out!

But you're going to have 2" AC coils up front (plus 4" SFD)? Wouldn't that mean you need 6" coils for the rear?

I'll still need custom coils from coilsprings.com because I plan on running OME HD coils in the front on top of the SFD, for ~5.5" total lift.

The WJ 3" lift coils netted me about 4" of lift in the back. They make 4" lift and 6.5" lift coils as well. So with the 4" you could get roughly 5" of lift (probably more) and fine adjust from there with the isolators / spring seats.

$150 for the 3" lift coils and after I ordered them Thursday night, they were here (in Canada) Monday morning via DHL.

If you were to leave the pigtails on, would it equal to about 5" of lift?

It probably wouldn't make to much of a difference between cutting them off or leaving them. The spring is pretty much flat at that location. I would go for the 4" WJ lift coils for 5" of lift on the pathfinder.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an R50. I am planning on putting the front coils in the back and replacing the front ones with heavy coils. Do you think these coils would fit in the front?

Edited by 1999R50

To my knowledge, front and rear coils aren't interchangeable.

I measured the front ones and the rear ones. they seem to have the same I.D. but the fronts are .075" higher wire diameter.

• 2 months later...

NICE thread! thanks for emailing someone for some info

I personally actually wanna LOWER my 01 R50, which is 2wd.

Do you think they make a WJ spring that would bring me down an inch or something?? Maybe there stock size coils?

dragging this old topic back up, i was given a full set of zj springs, whats the difference between the specs of the wj and zj springs

I would email Iron Rocks Offroad, they can probably give you that information. When I talked to him, he only mentioned the WJ and TJ having coil dimensions close to ours.

NICE thread! thanks for emailing someone for some info

I personally actually wanna LOWER my 01 R50, which is 2wd.

Do you think they make a WJ spring that would bring me down an inch or something?? Maybe there stock size coils?

3" WJ lift coils give us about 4" of lift, so stock WJ coils would give you around 1" of lift.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmmm, sorry if Im weird for wanting to go lower lol. 1" of lift you say eh.... with my stereo and batteries n such that would probably work out to about stock. I was thinking of getting these, $160 shipped to canada

http://cgi.ebay.ca/COIL-SPRING-REAR-1999-2004-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-WJ-/390240206727?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adc20ff87

Or did you find a better option? Hoping to retain a nice daily driver ride quality

I would definetely follow your comment on welding on a piece of 3" exhaust pipe onto the center of the stock perch, seems very easy.

It probably wouldn't make to much of a difference between cutting them off or leaving them. The spring is pretty much flat at that location. I would go for the 4" WJ lift coils for 5" of lift on the pathfinder.

Just to clarify, you have just the SFD installed, which equates to ~4" lift over stock height? I'm planning the same with the QX4, so would the same rear coil set-up as yours work for me?

Those eBay coils look like $105 per coil. The description says "stock replacement for one coil spring, rear". What about these? http://www.xtremeterrain.com/rearcoilspring.aspx . $52 each plus shipping (which can't be too outrageous).

Thank you so much for noticing it was an auction for only one coil!!! Wow I woulda been uber pissed when I opened that box lol

I'll look into that link and send them an email, thanks for it

Just to clarify, you have just the SFD installed, which equates to ~4" lift over stock height? I'm planning the same with the QX4, so would the same rear coil set-up as yours work for me?

Yea the 4" SFD will give you exactly 4" in the front. So what I would do is measure the rear stock fender height, compare it to the front and figure out how much lift you would need in the back to make them even. Then I can send you some WJ adapters and its an easy install!

Yea the 4" SFD will give you exactly 4" in the front. So what I would do is measure the rear stock fender height, compare it to the front and figure out how much lift you would need in the back to make them even. Then I can send you some WJ adapters and its an easy install!

Sweet, thanks! I'm hoping for an even stance, with as little rake as possible (equal to, or greater than stock). Do these WJ coils offer 4" of lift in the rear?

Sweet, thanks! I'm hoping for an even stance, with as little rake as possible (equal to, or greater than stock). Do these WJ coils offer 4" of lift in the rear?

I would expect between 4"-4.5" of lift with the WJ 3" coils. You can always cut them down a little more to get the truck lower. They aren't to stiff either. I prefer the ride over the stock coils.

I would expect between 4"-4.5" of lift with the WJ 3" coils. You can always cut them down a little more to get the truck lower. They aren't to stiff either. I prefer the ride over the stock coils.

4-4.5" seems right on the money to match up the 4" SFD front. Now I just need to figure out if Old Man Emu makes stock height coils with a higher spring rate. :scratchhead:

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bring out another spring available to use that is close to the WJ. The stock rear spring on an R51 has 16 1/16" height (taller than the 3" WJ), ID of 4 5/8" (same as WJ) and an OD of 6 1/16" (can't get any closer than being exact).

I found out by inquiring over at the site of many R51's. They answered pretty quickly.

One thing is these are stock springs. SO they shoud be not so stiff, although I suspect they will be stiffer than ours being they are made for a bigger vehicle. And, you don't have to cut any pig tails off of these (assuming you'll do like Andrew originally did).

Just throwing this out there. Here is the thread with pics of measures.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=30561#30561

Jose