How to Make a Custom Base for a Clinometer

Precise1

Odds are that if you find, buy or steal a Nissan clinometer, it is for a right handed drive vehicle. For the flat dashed versions, this isn't really an issue, but if you have a rounded dash and the rounded dash version (or even somewhat with the flat dash version), you run into a problem. The base is not tilted properly for proper, level fitment.

This is what we are talking about...

DSC_0182.jpg

This is the assembly in exploded view. Again, see the tilt in the base.

DSC_0185.jpg

A picture of the back of it and the sub bracket it mounts on. I won't be using the sub bracket or the bottom plastic cosmetic piece.

DSC_0187.jpg

Here is the new base fitted to the outside profile.

DSC_0192.jpg

It is a 1" thick piece of black delrin that I squared up with a band saw, then a Bridgeport mill, milled the angled sides (9.5 degrees seems to match very close so far) and radiused the back corners to 3/8".

DSC_0194.jpg

Next I will machine out a pocket for the clino to nestle into then flip it over and deck down the back at the proper compound angle to match the dash (TBD).

More pictures and dimensions to come...

B

I can't wait until the part of the instructions where he tells us what the microwave was used for. :lol:

Good work B, looking forward to seeing the finished product. :aok:

Err, backdrop?? Contrast?? :D

Thanks all. I didn't bring it to work today, but I have a mill/drill in the garage and everything I should need so hopefully I'll get the pocket done this weekend. It's all pretty straight forward, but I wanted to post the progress in increments to give people ideas.

B

Well it's working. I have an idea already! Ready for it?

Make One for ME!!! :new576:

Now Bernard.... I even used all sorts of pretty colors so there's NO way you can say no now.

Simon I was thinking the same thing...LOL

Looks good B, but since you really don't get into any situations where you would need that gauge...(Kalifornia freeways)

Hahahaha...

Just messin with ya dude!

Ok, I made the next step in progress this week. I milled out a pocket and put in a few tapped holes to mount the clino to it's new base while I figure out the dash mounting angles and bolt hole pattern.

DSC_0200.jpg

Here is the stack up in exploded view... :D

DSC_0201.jpg

The base bracket mounted to the base, a pretty good fit.

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

The clino mounted to the base bracket.

DSC_0204-1.jpg

The cosmetic body installed by slipping it over the assembly, front and back.

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

I'll probably still do some blending and rounding work to it, but so far it is exactly what I expected to make. Damn, I miss my CNC mill now!!

Again, next step is milling the bottom down at the proper angle, putting in a few tapped holes and the final installation.

TIP: I couldn't scare up any helicoils so what I did was tap 10-32 through the base for max engagement of threads. 10-32 has a minor diameter call out of .156-.164, but I drilled my core hole with a .154 drill. The hole shrunk down to .152 so it is a tight engagement from the start, feeling much like a nylon lock nut on a bolt. That should be plenty strong and if there is ever a problem, I can always helicoil it.

B

Thanks E. At this point, I almost think the best thing to do is ditch the factory housing and just make a custom one. It would be shorter, narrower and not as deep. Not to mention easier to make... :shrug:

Wow. Bernard, impressive stuff! I know you are a genius and all...but man....

AND you can run a machine...

Wanna do some work on a 1911 for me?? LOL

Not really. You obviously mistake me for someone else... :shrug:

LOL I can run a lot of machines, this was just hand work on a Bridgeport.

Only if it is legal and you don't mind the shipping charges. Gun work is either easy or custom gunsmith worthy.

I'm not a custom gunsmith.

B

Seriously, it takes a pretty steady hand, or an all out CAD programming fool to get stuff done like that...if I would have listened more in HS, I would be able to run a CNC machine (sort of).

I hear ya on the gunsmithing....it is certainly legal, and I really don't even know what I would have done...I guess I was just jesting you...lol

I'll repeat myself for the large, hairy and slow crowd... :D

Again, next step is milling the bottom down at the proper angle, putting in a few tapped holes and the final installation.

;)

B

I can't wait to get settled down somewhere and get me a garage...I'd love a Bridgeport but I think ill end up with a smithey MILL/LATHE combo...my thought was sticky back sandpaper on the dash and use high density foam to get the curve then enclose it in glass and do some surface work and paint it up...I wanna see the dash mounting instructions....

I hope a former member can dig up some jdm parts for me while they're in Japan

Well, the Bridgeport is at work, not my garage unfortunately. When I get settled somewhere it is on the list of things to have. Until then, I have to deal with my little Rong Fu mill/drill, which actually does pretty good.

I'm going out tonight to do some quotes and disassembling so maybe sooner than later. I never thought of trying to use fiberglass but then I've never done that work before. I really mean it when I say that a custom housing for the clino guts is the best way and probably what I will do next time...

I know the smitty combo unit you are talking about and as a machinist, I advise against it. It is irritating to spend extra time on set ups (not to mention between when you need to mill/turn/mill something) and they are very limited with travel and capacity. For roughly the same price, you are far better off buying a table top mill/drill and a seperate enco 9x20" lathe than the all-in-1 units (if you can't manage a Bridgeport and a Hardinge). Just saying from experience... :shrug:

Seriously, it takes a pretty steady hand, or an all out CAD programming fool to get stuff done like that...if I would have listened more in HS, I would be able to run a CNC machine (sort of).

I hear ya on the gunsmithing....it is certainly legal, and I really don't even know what I would have done...I guess I was just jesting you...lol

No big loss, most of the jobs have gone to China anyway. Stick with copping, no shortage of crime and idiots... :D

Yeah, I have been machining for almost 20 years so I'm pretty used to it by now.

No worries Bud. Probably the most common and annoying thing I hear when I say I'm a machinist (other than "Can you work on motors??" :rolleyes: ) is 'Can you make me a silencer?!?'. My answer is 'Yes, I can. No I wont. Dont ever ask me again." P...

:lol:

B

No big loss, most of the jobs have gone to China anyway. Stick with copping, no shortage of crime and idiots... :D

Yeah, I have been machining for almost 20 years so I'm pretty used to it by now.

No worries Bud. Probably the most common and annoying thing I hear when I say I'm a machinist (other than "Can you work on motors??" :rolleyes: ) is 'Can you make me a silencer?!?'. My answer is 'Yes, I can. No I wont. Dont ever ask me again." P...

:lol:

B

Yes, most of the jobs are getting outsourced. Unfortunately LE does not pay enough to pay the bills, being married with 3 kids. I work two other part time jobs to help offset the loss. Before I took the pay cut and went in to the political world of policing, I was a lead electrician for the school system in this county. Just got super board running wire and installing projectors I guess. Quite a big difference...at least now I NEVER know what to expect!!

I have a suppressor for my patrol rifle, and before that purchase a buddy of mine and I (he is a machinist as you are) registered a design and paid the $200 stamp with the ATF for a 22LR can, we (well HE) milled out the parts and we put it together, it worked...but not as well as we had hoped. It was cheaper to build your own I guess, but when I finally bought the one on my rifle, it was well worth the cost.

Besides, you live in Kalifornia...cans are way frowned upon there!! As are high cap mags, black rifles, etc...

Hell, brass knuckles are illegal in Cali.

I thought even plastic knives were illegal there! Y'all come on down to Louisiana we got plenty of room and you can own damn near anything you can afford. You can even buy a machine gun and silencer if you pay your taxes and do the paper work. And work right now the oil field is crazy, I'm back to working 60 hours a week!

James