Calmini torsion bars

trenton163

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? My front ends sags a lot and when I tried to tighten my torsion bars my front tires looked like "\../". I assume that just getting new ones would be better then risking my steering componets.?

Thanks

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? My front ends sags a lot and when I tried to tighten my torsion bars my front tires looked like "\../". I assume that just getting new ones would be better then risking my steering componets.?

Thanks

your tires will do that no-matter what t-bar you use. You need to align them after lifting.

typically tires go top in when you crank the bars for a lift (LCA sloping down toward wheel)

so yours musta been sagged so much they were top in (LCA sloping down toward frame)and the PO had it aligned like that.

so when You brought it up to level(LCA parallel to ground) they went top out because of the previous alignment.

I am very happy with my stock t-bars and may not get anything differant unless I add bumpers and winches up front.

In theory any adjustment to the front end OTHER than factory spec's will accelerate wear on the components. However if you use aftermarket UCA's that correct ball joint angles, and don't crank too much, the wear is reduced but still going to happen...

So if I tighten my torsion bars and then align my wheels it shouldn't damage my steering components?

Look @ your lower control arms.

if they slope inward toward the frame at all, you should tighten them and then get an alignment.

if they are parallel to the ground or just barely sloped down toward the wheel then you are sitting stock and an alignment will help preserve your steering components.

Before aligning Make sure its level left to right by using the ride height measuring guie I posted....

... somewhere...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25794&view=findpost&p=474169

Edited by MY1PATH

Hey just thought id jump in on this thread since i have the same problem,

my front is an easy 2-3cm lower (top of wheel to bottom of wheel arch)

im getting a full new suspension system soon, (including torsions)

this should effectively level the car shouldn't it?

im assuming because the front suspension has been in for almost 20 years without modification,

and has been put through some serious 4x4 hell (and done well) that the heavy engine is slowely

weighing the front down more than the suspension can push back up.

anyway im no expert so look forward to your reply's

If your bars have never been re-indexed and the front is sitting extremely low then I would start there *instructions can be found in the Garage section*, that will likely solve the problem. Of it's sitting fairly close to where it should be, but it's just not the same on both sides then cranking up the low side, or turning down the high side (depending on where it sits overall, right now) will take care of it.

That said, if you intend on replacing the t-bars soon, no matter what condition the stock ones are in, then let it be until you swap in the new bars. Otherwise your just doing the work twice wink.gif

• Like 1

yeah ive had a play around with them adjusting them up a bit, but its still resembles a drag car,

however new suspension all round should be in tomorrow hopefully that solves the problem :)

will post here with my findings

Yep re-indexing can make a world of difference, and bring new life back to your torsion bars and front end. Not saying that it changes them magically into new bars or anything. But that it will bring the spring rate up in theory because it certainly will twist em more as you crank them up. Aarons right up is wicked good regarding re-indexing, and it is simple to do with minor tools.

If you are getting new bars, me being a glutton for punishment, but also a perfectionist...would say:

Try re-indexing the front BEFORE you replace the bars...it will give you an idea of how it all works and on top of that will give you some experience with the IFS under our trucks before you dive into it...

Its relatively simple, you can do it!

Good luck man!

Thanks guys,

really appreciate the replies, (really starting to like this forum)

@dave- Yeah i read up on aarons tutorial, looks easier than i thought :)

@tmoore- yeah i might just take ur advice there :) if i can manage to find the time,

but i agree it would definately be worth it in the long run.

Aaron is the man...hadnt seem him around much...but hey, we all work...wait I hope so...haha

Dude these trucks are a total learning process...

And I am jealous of your Terrano!!

haha really tmoore?

urs is far better, i wish i had that 3" body lift that uve got on urs, but id never be able to install it..

The 3" body lift is not that hard to install, You can do it with a decent jack basic tools, a few jack stands. I did the process alone so its not that hard.

Yea man, its relatively simple. I posted a crap load of pics on my site covering most of the process. I had a buddy, but it is totally doable by oneself like BoneZ advised. If I lived on your island I would come help!

And mine is just a good truck, who really decides what is better? Not me...I can see things on nearly EVERY members rig that I wish I had on mine...its just a preference thing dude.

I wish mine said Terrano on the back, because nobody has that...haha

I did mine by myself, not hard at all thumbsup.gif

That is, as long as you don't have an problem bolt issues. Hose down all bolts with a penetrating oil (11-2 X's a day) for a few days to a week before starting, just to help reduce the chance of a problem. And since yours is a 2Dr, you should not have the rear bolt issue that many 4Dr owners encounter thumbsup.gif

Yep, I had some issues with getting the rear bolts to line up, but it worked out in the end...MUCH easier with my buddy there.

TN is a redneck state...no lift restrictions (that are enforced.)

LOL

haha oh true,, but right no i dont think i can afford even a cheap lift kit haha

maybe sometime in the future,

ps: just spent a solid day working on the car check out photos on my page thing:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27104&st=0&gopid=502489entry502489

Body lift can be done really cheap if you know someone with access to a toolshop and 50mm ali solid round bar

:whistle: