Odometer and Speedometer Compensation for 33's?

EmptyV

So now that I've got 33's I really need some way of compensating for the larger tire. Does anyone know how this can be done as my speedo and odo are waaaaaaay off.

Thanks!

Billy

Billy, you should have just posted here in the first place lol, now im being threated with banning because of Alex's bs :scratchhead: Anyways, I still think that the only way to get a real speed is with a GPS unit. I have also heard you can reprogram the computer but that would be pretty pricey. On EXPO's website I have seen a little unit that mounts anywhere that is like a big calculator screen with numbers that tells you the speed, fuel econ, and some other info I am trying to find pics and info as I type.

You might try a electronic speedometer calibration device, which accepts the signal from the VSS and multiplies it by a correction factor so that your speedometer is more accurate. I don't have any experience with this, but I bet something like this device (designed for motorcycles) will work. They have a universal car/truck kit. The device costs $80. Contact them for compatibility info.

Edited by XPLORx4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah my GPS is showing my speedo as way off. I emailed the people that make the device that XPLORx4 linked and they said that their generic auto version will work. Supposedly it's wired into the ECU main harness. Now I just need to reply with my gratitude and ask for further details on how it compensates. I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks!

You could try something like this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DAK-SGI-5/

The only problem I have seen using these is on newer trucks (04 and up Titan) the computer receives its speed signal from the trans sensor and the anti lock brake sensors. If there is too much difference between the two sensors (I think the computer only allows for 3%) the cruse will not work and a few other problems, some time a cel light. I think this only applys to drive by wire vehicles though.

James

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Billy did this end up working?

Unfortunately not yet. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow. It's really simple, only 4 wires. I think 2 for power and one for speed sensor input and another for speed sensor output.

• 1 year later...

I tried to install the SpeedoDRD to correct my speedometer, but it doesn't work for me because the VSS is an inductive coil type rather than a hall effect sensor. I contacted 12o'clock Labs and they were willing to modify my SpeedoDRD to work, but they need my gauge cluster and VSS, and I haven't had a chance to do that.

I am not sure if the newer Pathfinder models with the digital odometer have the same type of circuitry, but if someone with a Pathfinder with a digital odometer can provide me with the factory service manual electrical section "EL.pdf" I can check to see if whatever modification is done for me will also work on other R50's.

OR, does anyone have a VSS and gauge cluster that they would like to send to them for a few weeks, so that they can take the necessary measurements and modify the SpeedoDRD to work?

Just buy a GPS

I would be a little nervous to use the GPS. The accuracy of the GPS would be the first issue, and the second is, the GPS is merely averaging distance over time. If its averaging a sustained speed over a good distance, it might be fine, but from stop light to stop light, i'm positive its not going to be accurate. Slow in town speeds will not be very accurate because the distance is less than at say highway speeds over the same time.

My two cents. Which won't count as of June, as Canada is losing the penny.. hah.