Extended Length Rear Shocks ?

FUELER

AC ( www.4x4parts.com ) sells Rancho rear shocks for stock height, as well as a set that says its intended for use with lift...

Do you guys know if these lift shocks have longer extended length than stock??

Also, your opinions on 5000 vs 9000 ?

They have to have a longer travel, otherwise stock length shocks on a lifted rig would over-extend and ruin the shock instantly.

5000s are firm but seem to blow fairly easily. Some people have had great luck and others horrible. At least with 9000s, you can adjust the ride and Rancho has a killer deal going on to promote them right now. :aok:

hmm i have stock length KYB on old man emu springs and they havent blown yet... maybe i dont need a longer rear shock?

For the most part it's just a general rule. Some trucks can flex more than others after lifting, making the chances of blowing shocks vary. My buddy lifted his 4Runner 3" and blew both rear stock length shocks out within 2 miles on a trail last year. :lol:

Now he's got extended KYB Monomaxes on and hasn't had a problem. I've heard that the KYBs have some sort of protection built in to them so they can handle a lot more over-extension before blowing out, but if hammered enough eventually they will. Maybe you could find something to flex out on and see if the shocks are even reaching their full extension?

Edited by Kingman

If they are topping out you will know it! I did this on my wd21 and it road like a solid rear axle. I got some shocks for a 95 F150 4X4. I had to drill out the rubber bushing on the lower end and use the rubber pieces from the stock shocks.

James

But which shocks will allow more flex / articulation than stock??

4x4parts.com found some ranchos that "work" on the R50 but they are not designed for the R50. What im wondering, is are the lengths extended for the lift? Or do they simply sell the same shock for lowered/stock/lifted R50's?? I can't tell cause those sneaky people at 4x4parts hide the part numbers (i hate that!!)

Id say just go with the Pro Comp shocks they are dirt cheap and to me, they ride pretty good. Its a kinda ride you would expect for a lifted suv. I can look on my shocks and get a part number if you want, but its going to be too long a shock just for a 2in lift. They also can allow for too much travel, i have been out flexxing with some friends just messing around and I flexed up on a dirt mound and suddenly heard STOP yelled out cause my passenger side rear spring was just leaning against the bumpstop :chairfall: So I had to slowly back down while my buddy directed the spring so it re seated correctly.

For those of us who just plan on doing the 2" or so suspension lift and not messing with a SFD, are there any good options to avoid topping out, other than straps?

Therer are spring blocks. The hold your spring so it doesn't fully extend...but you'll probaby still top out. So...staying stock is an option...

Jose

Can't speak for the Rancho applied to the R50. However, the OME are designed to go with their springs that offer lift - just a thought. I was surprised at how beefy they are too, in comparison to the KYB I had on before.

I know people that have run the 9000 on other trucks - personally I would go with them over the 5000.

Rancho 9000 shock part numbers ending in 9010 are extended length shocks for a lifted R50. That's what I'm using. I started with RS9010 (original RS9000), and now I have RS999010 (latest RS9000XL).

Note that the RS9000XL shocks MUST be mounted with the shock body on the axle, or they won't work right. Unfortunately, because the 9000XL shocks have a much larger diameter, the panhard bracket on the right side of the axle will dent the shock body when the axle articulates (left wheel up, right wheel down).

I used to run my RS9000's with the shock body attached to the frame (i.e. "upside down") and they worked fine like that for many years. Convenient access to the adjustment knob, too.

BTW, the shocks on the R50 are what limit the suspension downtravel. During extreme articulation or loss of ground contact, the shock(s) will be fully extended. This will occur whether you have stock length shocks or extended length shocks. In 13 years and 163000 miles, I've never had a blown shock on my R50. Rest assured, the shocks have been at maximum extension quite often!

I used the OME rear shocks (N61) with my OME lift and they are great. Extended length = 607mm, compressed = 367mm (23.9in/14.4in). The OME shocks were the limiting factor when flexed out and never had any issues with this...

• 5 weeks later...

I have the OME coil springs and i have the OME Schocks in the back and they are doing great .

But for the struts the OME was a total failure , I have replaced them with my stock KYB struts and still doing great even after 5 years and a 2 inch lift .

My :my2cents: advice since you have the OME coils go for the ARB rear shocks