Looking To Fabricate A Custom Snorkel..

heythurr

I'm probably too new here to yell "search!" so I did it for you:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17447&view=&hl=snorkle&fromsearch=1

Just search for "snorkle" and you'll get lots of hits.

Also scan through the member rides section. PVC pipe would be a good, watertight solution, why not?

Check out kiwipete's thread in the Members Rides section at the very bottom of the mail forum page also. I'll post some info from a private message when I get home later.

I'm planning on relocating a few items under the hood on the drivers side and having a local exhaust shop bend a stainless steel snorkel for me. I'm going to use a prefiltered, water seperating, forward facing ram and on the other end I will probably have an air box from a different vehicle or a custom box. 3"pipe seems to be the ticket, but I need to check the MAF diameter to make sure that is the limiting diameter.

B

Yes.....go to autozone, or murrays, they are one size (3") so you will need to modify it by tapering some of the holes strategically, because it will have to carefully straddle the MAF.

I'll get the link

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SCT0/8148.oap?keyword=cold+air+intake&pt=N1487&ppt=C0280

Edited by OldSlowReliable

was curious I received one of these (pic below) like 2 x-mas's ago intending to use it on my sentra, but because the sentra engine is TB I would have to make an adapter and I do not know how to weld especially using aluminum, so was thinking it may be easier to use on the pathfinder,

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

ml6s2c.jpg

I really like that filter housing. I may consider something like that if I ever go EFI. anway I though I'd attach some of my partial snorkel pics for ideas....

th_snorkelfront.jpg th_snorkelrear.jpg th_snorkelside.jpg

I screwed 2 drains together face to face with the fenderwall in between.

on the inside I have a 2" 60* elbow with some pipe sticking out of it. the stock tbi intake pipe fits snugly over it if you cut the last 3" off.

the fender side I saved donwn a 90* short elbow(hard to find) for the turndown so it has about .3" clearance of the fender.

the U is a 90* street elbow and a 90* long elbow. the last bend is another 90* street elbow.

I used a rubber hammer to contour the boxed section of the fenderwall for the pipe

I ran a hose clamp thru a fuel line(dampening and protects the sheet metal) and then thru a hole in the box.

I slid a 2" flexible union over the pipe for more dampening and protection where the clamp goes over it.

permentant unions are bonded with ABS cement. removable parts(just in case...) were sealed with red RTV

the U is also meant to accmodate for some water as gravity pulls it to the bottom. No the water won't just sit in the U forever but it will get drawn in at a slower rate hopefully slow enough to prevent hydrolocking.

Maybe slow enough to do a good valve cleaning an nothing more.

I have to add a comment here.

IMHO the only decent way to fab a snorkel is to go to your local exhaust shop and get some 3" steel or stainless tubing bent to suit.

It may be ok for you guys with petrol engines to get some water in the motor but us with diesel's are @!*% scared of water. One teaspoon is enough to hydraulic an engine, trashing it.

Your plastic fabs are ok, but again they will not stand up to any type of abuse.

Run the tubing out the guard at a suitable place to minimise bends, along the guard and up the pillar, finishing off with a proper snorkel hat.

Hey Pete, did you see the post 10 before yours?? I'm going to share your wisdom, so I hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'll erase all evidence... ;)

I have yet to decide where to mount the pressure gauge, need to put my thinking cap on.

Here are some pictures of how my commercial plastic snorkel is fitted that may help you. I'd love a stainless one myself one day. There is only one mount on the door pillar held on by 3 screws in total. You could possibly do much the same, but weld it to the pipe first and utilise the existing screws for the chrome weather mould?

As far as entry through the guard is concerned. I want to move my washer bottle back to the fire wall and take the flexi-tube through at 90 deg to the outer plastic section straight to my air cleaner. This means drilling a hole in the inner guard for this tube. A simple bracket could be fashioned to support the outer section of the snorkel here it runs alongside the outer fender????

DSC00861.jpg

IMG_9846.jpg

IMG_9847.jpg

IMG_9848.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

IMG_9850.jpg

DSC00862.jpg

Now, I know your V6 petrols have a different air cleaner setup, but the installation should be similar where ever you decide to put the intake flexi tube.

Because mine is plastic, it has 2 holes drilled in the outer guard for bolts to attach to the horizontal section of the tube. I would have to fashion a bracket to cover and utilise them if I was to replace mine.

The 3" steel tube snorkles give a much better and efficient air flow too. Mine is so restrictive.

It may be ok for you guys with petrol engines to get some water in the motor but us with diesel's are @!*% scared of water. One teaspoon is enough to hydraulic an engine, trashing it.

Hell, the Germans used water injection in WW2 for a temporary performance gain in their fighter planes!! Still, all it takes to kill a petrol motor is one good gulp. Years back, someone here hydrolocked and destroyed a motor by driving through a puddle too fast. On the road!!

B

Feel free to share any info you find in my thread. :beer:

I'd love to remove my moulded plastic snorkel and replace it with a fabbed steel one, I just might do it one day soon...............

Edited by kiwipete

Hell, the Germans used water injection in WW2 for a temporary performance gain in their fighter planes!! Still, all it takes to kill a petrol motor is one good gulp. Years back, someone here hydrolocked and destroyed a motor by driving through a puddle too fast. On the road!!

B

Hell, some tuners use water injection. It is all about quantity and consistency, the injection systems atomize it so it mixes better (just like fuel injectors), and send what equates to a couple drops in. You suck up a teaspoon full of liquid water and you are going to change the compression ratio, and hurt things.

I have to add a comment here...

IMHO the only decent way to fab a snorkel is to go to your local exhaust shop and get some 3" steel or stainless tubing bent to suit.

3"? Really?

I don't know about diesel's but petrol engines can benifit performance-wise from having a longer intake tube (given the right diamer) because it increases air-charge. I would think 2"-2.5" would be better. Not to mention, @ the front of the fender there's only about 2.5" max or 2.25 if your making a bend with tubing.

Your plastic fabs are ok, but again they will not stand up to any type of abuse.

Run the tubing out the guard at a suitable place to minimise bends, along the guard and up the pillar, finishing off with a proper snorkel hat.

.025" wall ABS tubing is pretty tough, then again I don't pan on smashing my fender so bad it crushes the pipe inside. for the full snorkel running up the side, the A pillar should support it pretty good and its angled so branches and stuf would be more glancing than just a dead 90* impact. I'd say if you break a well posiond ABS snorkely you'll prolly crack a window too.

I think arb/safari snorkels are made of ABS too... a freind of mine who wheels in utah said he's seen those get rolled onto and they've bounced back better than the body work when the vehicle is righted.

But yes, I think a nice brushed steel snorkel with clear coat up the A pillar would look awesome too.

[rant on]

You really need to read what people type before you comment. I mentioned "plastic" not "ABS" and for a bloody good reason too.

.025" wall ABS tubing is pretty tough, then again I don't pan on smashing my fender so bad it crushes the pipe inside. for the full snorkel running up the side, the A pillar should support it pretty good and its angled so branches and stuf would be more glancing than just a dead 90* impact. I'd say if you break a well posiond ABS snorkely you'll prolly crack a window too.

I only said 3" diameter as that's what the diameter of the hat is that's on the top of my snorkel, use what ever size suits your needs, it's only a guide line I suggested. If I do remove my POS ABS plastic one, it will be replaced with 3" steel, the more air rammed down it the better, even if it reduces at the intake end. :tongue:

[/rant off]

What about the attachment of the snorkel with the airbox ?

Can we keep the original one fill the bottom and attach it

on the side ??

Or do we have to mess up with sensor ?

Hey Pete, did you see the post 10 before yours?? I'm going to share your wisdom, so I hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'll erase all evidence... ;)

B

Was probly tbi 2 door...