Project : Eagle Finder

EarlFairweather

I tell you what, when you have a loud burly exhaust system that sets of car alarms and booms under freeway overpasses, people tend to turn heads to see what the hell it is.

Those people are looking where to aim the shotgun! :ar15: (Or, what car tires to slash in the middle of the night.)

As for the frame and body steel, they changed the frame steel composition in the early 90s, most 80s frames are better, the 90s tend to rust if you look at them. My 88 frame looks worse, covered in surface rust, but it is still solid. My 93 looks solid but is falling apart from the inside.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those people are looking where to aim the shotgun! :ar15: (Or, what car tires to slash in the middle of the night.)

i've had a loud burly exhaust for the last 4 years, the last person to slash my tires ended up with no windows in theirs the next morning. :shiftyeyes:

Today was a bad day for thing that wont come off. Couldnt get my trailer hitch bolts loose.

I can't get my windshield wipers off, without them off I cannot get to the last bolt for the fender.

I am going to have another try at it tomorrow morning before I go to work. I think Im going to have to go to Canadian tire and get some good penetrating spray and the tool that removes wipers.

....seems like overkill for a mallcrawler..

Generally mallcrawlers are overkill, and it's what he wants so hey, have at it

I tell you what, when you have a loud burly exhaust system that sets of car alarms and booms under freeway overpasses, people tend to turn heads to see what the hell it is.

only when it backfires... (experience)

I can't get my windshield wipers off, without them off I cannot get to the last bolt for the fender.

you did take th enuts off first right? you know they ain't held on spring style? Just asking...

Bah, don't let folks get you down. It is going to be one helluva lot of work, though so be prepared to spend three times the cash you've budgeted and six times the hours. A couple of the biggest problems you'll encounter are going to be the unexpected stuff that comes along with a 15 year old truck like rusted/stripped bolts, brittle plastics that'll snap when you try to remove them and rust in places you hadn't seen until disassembly. But prolly biggest of all will be very little aftermarket support. Those guys with the sweet looking Jeeps, early Broncos, etc. have the luxury of plunking down a wad of cash and getting exactly what they're looking for. Hell, there's prolly over 300 companies that supply TJ parts. Our trucks on the other hand are a rarity when it comes to offroading and/or restoration. It's not impossible, but you might have to be a bit creative when it comes to certain things. Oh, and once you get it all apart and have an idea what you're going to need to do, put it down on paper as a list. Believe me, it'll help you decide what direction to go, the order in which to do things and assist you in making smaller project goals within the build. Good luck and keep us posted.

WD40 is a waste of money and only good as a water displacer (hence the WD). If you are looking to get ........ apart, get a can of PB Blaster or silikroil (sp?). Good luck with the project. Looking forward to some pics.

only when it backfires... (experience)

you did take th enuts off first right? you know they ain't held on spring style? Just asking...

Lol, mine backfires frequently when I let off the gas suddenly and is known to shoot a flame out the tailpipe... still haven't found the cause.

I just took my wiper arms off yesterday to paint them, just 1 12MM nut and the arms pull off if a splined shaft. Lining them back up is tricky though, especially when the spring in the wiper arm wants to contract, which smashes your finger and sends the arm flying. :lol:

sounds like a fun project to me. and i agree any car can turn heads. i don't get girls looking at me while driving, i gotta do the work to get them in the truck, then they see what it can do and they're hooked, or scared to death in some cases... ha fun times. Good luck with the whole thing ill love to see a full write up and pictures and stuff. don't know much about the whole engine swap turbo thing but if you get that it going as fast and sounding as loud as they look they should be i say good job...

Update on the project.

I am about ready to start disconnecting things for the body lift off. I still havn't decided wether I should use the tractor to lift it off. Or build a wooden structure and do it that way. I know its important to lift level and the tractor might put to much stress on the body.

I have the interior gone now and I have a good look at the front part of the floors. It's worse then I thought. There is a whole around the passenger body mount. If I take off the heat shield on the drivers side there will be no floor lol.

I striped a bolt head on the front bumper and can't get it off. I tried pretty much everything and busted my knuckle in the process. I don't know if ill be able to get that sucker off, it's the only one left too!!

Heres a link to some more pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/110474407708868683434/ProjectEagleFinderWeek2#

At this point any advice about things to do leading up to taking the body off would be appreciated greatly

I will not say anything to discourage you even though there is a lot of thoughts going in my head right now... What you are trying to do will not be easy nor cheap, but if you're decided to get it done, then IT CAN BE DONE! If worst comes to worst and you decide to quit , then you will still have learned a hell of a lot of stuff with mechanics, body work, project planing etc... With everyday that passes, you're gaining experience and learning... this cannot be bought and will always stay with you. What you learn from this will be your new starting point for future projects...

Go for it and show us all, the old farts, what young and full of energy guys like you can accomplish...

Now I need to go get another blue pill... I feel weak... :blink::aok:

Just get a long sawsall blade and cut the head off that bolt. Once the body is off, you can work on removing what is left of it in the welded nut, and use a new bolt when you reassemble.

Just get a long sawsall blade and cut the head off that bolt. Once the body is off, you can work on removing what is left of it in the welded nut, and use a new bolt when you reassemble.

Ya I cut the head off lol, I had to do that with half of the trailor hitch bolt's. ( I broke the other half ) I am going to leave my back bumper until the body is off because it's so rusty back there nothing going to happen.

On a side not if anyone wants to buy my hitch and front bumper you can go for. They arn't rusted out, just some surface, they need a a good sand a paint. You will need new bolts but I got the brackets.

My truck being a rust bucket, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rear bumper bolts came off with almost not trouble, a 2ft breaker bar to loosen em up, then a ratchet...easy as pie

Could you take a photo of the hitch please? Just the mounting brackets, I have in idea but i'm not sure it would work

My truck being a rust bucket, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rear bumper bolts came off with almost not trouble, a 2ft breaker bar to loosen em up, then a ratchet...easy as pie

Could you take a photo of the hitch please? Just the mounting brackets, I have in idea but i'm not sure it would work

The part of the frame that the bumper bolts were attached to was so rusty that it broke apart when I turned the bumper bolts. Now the peice of the frame around the bolts spins freely when I turn the bolts lol

Heres the hitch and brackets

img2768u.th.jpg

Edited by EarlFairweather

Okay guys today I am goignt o build the wooden A frames around my Pathy so I can lift it off. One question though, what are the best lift points? I need to know so I can position my wood supports around that area.

I thinking one up front and the other a strap going threw the passenger windows?

I built my wooden structure. Took me half a day almost. I still need to add some more support to the structure but ill do that when im ready for lift off.

Heres some pics

img2775jj.th.jpg

img2773q.th.jpg

img2774wv.th.jpg

Edited by EarlFairweather