Upgraded Sunvisor From Qx

sonyslave

A while back some asshole broke into my car by going through the rear passenger door window (the up/down one) (to steal a $20 windbreaker! wth is goin on w/our society??!) . I went to the junkyard to get a replacement window for $50 and installed it myself (easy to do!), the insurance check of ~$250 more than covered it. While there I remembered that my Pathy's sunvisors were in need of replacement as the headliner material on them was disintegrating and looked like crap. I saw a QX and checked it out, found something nice, the QX has DUAL visors, one for side and one for front PLUS a built in garage door opener in the visor (this can be dangerous though because if someone steals your truck and knows where you live then they can pull into your garage and rip you off, plus no one will suspect anything because it'll look like you coming home, plus the people home in your house may not suspect anything until it's too late because it'll look/sound like you coming home...good reason to hide your vehicle registration in the car so thieves cannot easily figure out where you live.

Anyway, the QX visors seem like a silly upgrade but on sunny days I'm really glad I have them. Interesting note, the headliner on my XE is designed with the preformed "second visor dent" to allow use of the dual visor, something I never noticed until doing the install.

New single sunvisor from Nissan was like $60 EACH! Bastards. My jukyard's price: $10 for 2!

One great thing about the R50 is that there are so many out there that getting used parts is usually easy and pretty cheap.

If you use the garage door opener you'll need to get power over to the visor arm mounting point, shouldn't be too hard to to...I haven't done it.

Side note: I sat in a new Acura MDX and it didn't have dual visors, so my XE is obviously superior.

Edited by sonyslave

My 2001 LE came from the factory with those, dont know if its a year thing, or a sub model thing. And to be honest I never use my visor, but the homelink sure does come in handy!

You mean you have the dual sun visor set-up or the home link garage door opener deal, or both?

My 02 LE has the homelink, but only the single sunvisor thing.

My biggest pet peeve about the pathy sunvisors isn't the lack of the second one but rather the primary one is too short when turned to the side - it needs the slide out extender!

You mean you have the dual sun visor set-up or the home link garage door opener deal, or both?

My 02 LE has the homelink, but only the single sunvisor thing.

My biggest pet peeve about the pathy sunvisors isn't the lack of the second one but rather the primary one is too short when turned to the side - it needs the slide out extender!

It has both the homelink and the fancy double visor, on main one, that folds down and to the side and behind that it has a visor that can only fold down (that has the info card for operating the allmode 4wd system also on it, like a plastic pull out card)

Yeah, my 97 LE has the dual sunvisors with Homelink, too. I wonder if only LE's in the early R50 model years had the dual visor+homelink.

Clearly, I am a huge moron. My wife (who drives the pathy everyday as it is "hers") informs me that it does indeed have dual sunvisors. I will go and sit in the corner and start drinking heavily in order to have a an actual excuse for my next screw up.

Edited by BowTied

I'm pretty sure that the transmitter/learning computer(*Arnold T1000 voice*) guts for the homelink garage door opener are all housed inside the visor, so it just needs 12v and maybe a ground, I'm basing this assumption on my recollection of seeing a 2 pin connector coming out of the visor arm.

On second thought!:

I would consult the service manual 1st to double check the input voltage requirement, would hate for someone to fry their new(used) homelink system.

Edited by sonyslave

Thats a great mod! I will have to look for a QX4 next time im at the JY

Thanks laxman, that's high praise coming from you -I just read your LSD upgrade post, now THAT'S a great mod! Holy cow!

Yeah, my 97 LE has the dual sunvisors with Homelink, too. I wonder if only LE's in the early R50 model years had the dual visor+homelink.

My 96 SE came with the Dual Visors and HomeLink. When I Lived in full time in Maryland I had a Garage Door Opener but was unsuccessful in linking them to my visor.....found different sites which explained "how to" but it never happened, Oh Well. Are there any other uses for the HomeLink??? There are 3 Buttons! :shrug:

My 96 SE came with the Dual Visors and HomeLink. When I Lived in full time in Maryland I had a Garage Door Opener but was unsuccessful in linking them to my visor.....found different sites which explained "how to" but it never happened, Oh Well. Are there any other uses for the HomeLink??? There are 3 Buttons! :shrug:

There was a change in Homelink around 1999 or 2000 to better talk to "rolling code" garage doors. Basically any Homelink prior to 97 or 98 is useless with a "rolling code" door or gate. I've lived in a gated apartment with a garage for many years and programmed many Homelink systems to work the gate and garage door for myself and my neighbors on lots of different makes of vehicles. The system is the same, Homelink is licensed technology, no mater what make or model of car or were it's located, in the visor, or built in to the rear view mirror.

The visor models use the same power supply as the visor vanity light. And that is why I haven't swapped out the visors in my old 93 Pathfinder with some Homelinks from a later model. WD21 Paths have the visor vanity light wired so they only come on when the parking or headlights are on. I guess I can see some reasoning behind this, why would you need the light during the day, but on every other car or truck I've ever seen the vanity lights come on whenever the visor switch is activated. This happens regardless of the vehicle light switch or ignition key position, even off.

The homelink has a small internal backup battery so it won't lose your programming if the car loses power for a short time due to a dead battery or disconnected cables but it's pretty much got to have power 24/7 to remember the code you program in. I would have to change the visor wiring in my truck to a hot all the time connection and for me that's were it starts to turn into real work.

Edited by dhardison

I have a 96 SE with the dual and homelink. I never use either, as I wear sunglasses and my garage door is manual. But nice feature to have in case anyway...If no one posts pics I'll post it up.

There was a change in Homelink around 1999 or 2000 to better talk to "rolling code" garage doors. Basically any Homelink prior to 97 or 98 is useless with a "rolling code" door or gate. I've lived in a gated apartment with a garage for many years and programmed many Homelink systems to work the gate and garage door for myself and my neighbors on lots of different makes of vehicles. The system is the same, Homelink is licensed technology, no mater what make or model of car or were it's located, in the visor, or built in to the rear view mirror.

The visor models use the same power supply as the visor vanity light. And that is why I haven't swapped out the visors in my old 93 Pathfinder with some Homelinks from a later model. WD21 Paths have the visor vanity light wired so they only come on when the parking or headlights are on. I guess I can see some reasoning behind this, why would you need the light during the day, but on every other car or truck I've ever seen the vanity lights come on whenever the visor switch is activated. This happens regardless of the vehicle light switch or ignition key position, even off.

The homelink has a small internal backup battery so it won't lose your programming if the car loses power for a short time due to a dead battery or disconnected cables but it's pretty much got to have power 24/7 to remember the code you program in. I would have to change the visor wiring in my truck to a hot all the time connection and for me that's were it starts to turn into real work.

you have a visor vanity in your WD21??? never heard of that before, can you take a pic?

you have a visor vanity in your WD21??? never heard of that before, can you take a pic?

Here goes, like I said strange the head/parking lights have to be on for them to work but I guess in those early days there wasn't a "typical" way to do things.

vopen.jpg

vclosed.jpg