Body Off Frame?

EarlFairweather

Hey guys, I have learned today that my frame is fubard. Everything from the transfer case back is falling apart and it is starting to crack in some spots. I don't want to sell the truck because I have invested money in it already to make it mechanically sound.

I want to do a full restore on the Pathy. From bottom to top everything repaired and rust free. I have the time and most of the knowledge. My father and I have tackled projects similar to this before ( Minus the frame problems )

What I am looking for is advice on taking the body off the frame. The steps required and the easiest way.

I am hoping to get the communities input in the whole project and let everyone follow along with pictures and videos. We can build a nice thread of anyone wanted to do this and also show some of the hidden surprises and how to fix them!

Thanks!

Make 2 A frames and lift the body off. There was a thread around here somewhere where they rolled and then replaced the body, maybe someone can find and link the thread.

Okay great, I will also look for the thread. So I should just make the A frames out of lumber? I was just thinking of putting 2x4's threw the doors and getting some of my buds to lift it off haha.

Don't PM Magregor again :P He's already doing a set for me complete with pictures on how to remove the body. Once he has it done I'll host it and/or repost it here for sticky and move to the How To's :)

Tops to ya Magregor!

Don't PM Magregor again :P He's already doing a set for me complete with pictures on how to remove the body. Once he has it done I'll host it and/or repost it here for sticky and move to the How To's :)

Tops to ya Magregor!

HAHAHAHA!!! I just sent you a PM with links to Facebook and my Photobucket where all the important pics are of the templates I cut out, the frame repairs, etc. I have the rest of the pics on my external drive at work...so if you need more, let me know what specific areas you need and I will see what I can find. I used saw horses with 2X10 planks. Main advice is to jack it up SLOWLY, to make sure you have all the harnesses, lines and linkages clear from the frame. Have an extra set of eyes/hands to help you watch all angles as you lift the body. use the frame to help you as you lift (4X4 blocks at the body mounts - adding them progressively as you lift to keep truck stable).

Don't PM Magregor again He's already doing a set for me complete with pictures on how to remove the body. Once he has it done I'll host it and/or repost it here for sticky and move to the How To's

Tops to ya Magregor!

That would be great if you could post it after you are done. I am not looking to start this project till October so no rush.

yup, that was me who rolled the truck and replaced the body. i used to have a thread on here w/ all the pix but it's deleted now. here's a pic of what i did. did it all in my back yard.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/ch620/?action=view&current=P8160136.jpg

like people said, just build a-frames over the truck and jack the body up (i used come alongs)

lemme know if you have any other questions or need to see more pix. and good luck with the project!

That doesn't look that hard eh? Do I have the remove the steering column?

You just unbolt it at the rubber flex joint below your brake booster. It is a tricky spot, but can be done.

What do you guys think the odds are of getting the pathfinder body to fit on another frame? Like an old Bronco or something.

What kinda bronco are you talking about,a first gen (66-77) second gen(big SOLID axled monster78-79) or late model(80-96)

A old blazer frame would be better,you can get one with a over drive tranny and fuel injection with solid axles.Its a lot of work,I help a guy put a k10 cab on a k5 frame and we had to do all new body mounts and chop and re weld the floor 2 inchs to fit the tranny and t-case in.(the blazer has been rolled though but still it was more work then I thought) If youhave a trailer(6x8 made fromangle iron) then put the body on that

A engine puller will lift the body problem(lifted my impalas)

What do you guys think the odds are of getting the pathfinder body to fit on another frame? Like an old Bronco or something.

What kinda bronco are you talking about,a first gen (66-77) second gen(big SOLID axled monster78-79) or late model(80-96)

A old blazer frame would be better,you can get one with a over drive tranny and fuel injection with solid axles.Its a lot of work,I help a guy put a k10 cab on a k5 frame and we had to do all new body mounts and chop and re weld the floor 2 inchs to fit the tranny and t-case in.(the blazer has been rolled though but still it was more work then I thought) If youhave a trailer(6x8 made fromangle iron) then put the body on that

A engine puller will lift the body problem(lifted my impalas)

Well I didn't have a specific Year in mind. I was just wondering if using a frame from those would be easyer then fixing this one.

But I think I found a donor truck with a very good frame, rust proofed twice a year since he has had it and hes the original owner. But it's an Auto and mines a Manual. Are the frames still the same?

Just do it from the bottom. Rather than undo the tranny mount from the crossmember when swapping, undo the crossmember itself, and drop the tranny with it. Installation is reverse of removal. :D