4Runner Mpg Vs Pathfinder Mpg

FUELER

SO my buddy has a 2000 4runner with 3.4L V6.

The first thing that shocked me with the 4runner is the fuel tank size. He pretty much ran it dry and filled the tank to the brim with only 13.5 gallons.

A freakin Honda Civic has an (almost) 12 gallon gas tank.

Then, we calc'd the MPG. Freeway driving at 75 mph, he clocked 271 miles on that 13.5 gallons, which equals an impressive 20 mpg

Now my QX4 has a 21 gallon tank (which, in the past 6 years of ownership, i have only managed to get about 19.5 in there) and i get about 290 miles to the tank. 14.8 mpg similar freeway driving.

WHY DOES THE NISSAN GET SUCH WORSE MILEAGE????????

Maybe i should have bought a 4runner.... but the idea of bolting on cookie cutter parts and having the same SUV as everybody else makes me cringe...

Your thoughts on this??

My old stock, manual 95 would average 16-21mpg. My new modified auto 95 gets 14mpg around town (no long trips yet and I think I have an exhaust leak) and the stock 99 R50 gets 16-19mph. :shrug:

No one ever said they were made for commuting...

B

#1. You ain't stock... is the 4runner? Could affect your mpg's a little

#2. "similar" driving ain't exact driving. Your 70mph may be a little more harsh than his 70mph if that makes any sence

#3. aerodynamics are a little different from a r50 to a 3rd(or 4th, I don't exactly know where a 2000 4runner falls)gen Toyota

#4. My 2gen Has some of the same j/y tricks as wd21s

#5 Mt. Dew is yellow :shrug:

My 97 with 31's would get 21-22 on the highway all day...now my 01 is a different story, with 31's I have yet to hit 20, almost always right on 19...I have heard of 4runners getting crappy mileage too, for some reason some just get good mileage and some get bad mileage...

The 3.0L 4Runners get horrible mileage, bad enough to make a Pathfinder look good. My friends '95 3.0L gets about 16 on the highway and 11 in town. Another "friend" of mine has an '01 with the 3.4L and he said he gets about 16-17 in town and 22-23 on the highway.

#5 Mt. Dew is yellow :shrug:

Best damn post in a while nutya...

I say gear ratios play a big diffrence,I dont know what the yota or that style nissan is running but if I remember correctly the best(lowest you could get in a yota that wasnt a trd is 3.73,while I think the 'sans still a 4.3...

Yeah ive got bigger rims and tires while my buddy rolls on little bald street rubbers

i should mention ive had a bad O2 sensor for years (after the cat). I thought after the cat was for smog only?? Or could it affect my MPG?

Yeah ive got bigger rims and tires while my buddy rolls on little bald street rubbers

i should mention ive had a bad O2 sensor for years (after the cat). I thought after the cat was for smog only?? Or could it affect my MPG?

It'll still effect MPG

#4 means what now?? :scratchhead:

B

Was just an observation... not all 4runners are cookie cutters like jeeps... Although he is comparing to a newer one.

I gotta call BS on #5

I just call em how I see em... even if I don't dring Mt. Dew...

The 3.0L 4Runners get horrible mileage

yes, and are a bit gutless to boot, once again he is comparing to a bewer one though

another factor that is hurting your mileage...

Fueler, I think we went over this a while ago, but MPG is not good on the Q. Can't say much for the 4Runner, but I average about 14-15 in overall, mostly highway driving (70-80 mph). Did notice that the closer to 65 I stay, the longer the gas lasts. There is a huge difference between mpg going 65 vs 80 mph.

Funy you say that about the tank - come to think of it, i've never put more than about 19 gal in it before. and i've run it really low...or so i thought.

One of my buddies own a QX4 which I somewhat dislike. It gets about 16 mpg and its completely stock. It is normal, the QX4 sucks.

My modified '91 Pathfinder does 25 mpg highway and 18 mpg city, I have a similar setup to B's (Precise1) truck.

PS: If you want better MPG, use 2wd ONLY.

Edited by Tungsten

Funy you say that about the tank - come to think of it, i've never put more than about 19 gal in it before. and i've run it really low...or so i thought.

ya man ive ran it so low that it was sputtering and jumping as i pulled in the gas station.... only put 19.5 in there! (supposed to be 21 gal tank?)

Maybe it has to do with the strainer design on the fuel pump? What about the reserve? The only way for you to be sure that the tank is bone dry is to actually look inside it.

There are a few possible reasons. More of a curiosity than something that really concerns me. I’d rather work out a way to carry some Jerrycans around then spend the time wondering what happened to the missing gallon.