Broke A Wheel Stud :(

i bought a used tire and when i was tightening it i broke one of the wheel stud. how hard is it to replace them in the front? i didnt bother takeing the wheel back off i got discusted. anyway with one wheel stud i know this is a stupid question but is it ok to drive for now? im hopeing it will be fixed by saturday cause i need it sunday.

I've seen people drive with less. 1 busted off a 6 lug truck ain't "that" bad. I've seen people drive 4 lug cars around with a total of 7 on them... Yea 7...

I have a buddy who is driving around with 4 studs on 1 wheel, I keep shaking my head in horror, but he hasnt had any problem, and he wheels it pretty damn hard. Should certainly be 'safe' to drive, but dont ignore the fact that its missing.

You gotta take the wheel hub off of the knuckle and take the rotor off of the hub so you can pound out the studs. Basically like doing a front brake job but one step further.

i park on the side of the street and its on the passenger side. anyone know how long it would take to do and what tools i need? i basicly have just normal tools. i guess i didnt know my own strength with the cross bar. hell if i can twist off the little socket on the cross bar... but i minus well do all the studs then. thanks for all your replies :)

Edited by ac92pathfinder

honestly dude, i can rip each side of my truck down to the hubs and rotors off in less that 30 minutes, it's not hard at all. press the old stud out, and well if you're doing one, then do them all at least on that wheel. re pack the bearings, and put it back together. shouldn't take more then i'd say 3 hours.

I don't know about the 4wd hubs, but on my 2wd it wasn't that hard (had to replace 3 on the front and 1 on the back). You have to separate the rotor from the hub in order to do it.

First take the caliper and bracket off. Then you have to remove the 6 14mm bolts holding the hub and rotor together. Use some penetrating oil such as PB Blaster where the rotor and hub meet and let that sit for a few minutes to an hour so it'll separate slightly easier. Then you just have to tap on the rotor with a rubber mallet. (If you don't have a mallet, place a block of wood against the rotor and hit the wood. The wood will protect the rotor from being damaged by the hammer.)

Once the rotor's separated, tap the broken stud out with a hammer and slip the new one into place. The best way to seat the new stud is to slip several washers over it and use a lug nut to pull it through until it's fully seated.

Once that's done all you have to do is reattach the rotor and put the caliper and bracket back on. (Unless of course, you're servicing the wheel bearings or replacing the rotors (which I did) at the same time.)

There you have it. :aok:

edit: I forgot about the dust shield behind the front rotors. Post corrected accordingly

Edited by Chymos

I'm pretty much in the same boat here - lost a front stud getting the wheel off. I plan to replace all mine once I have the chance... though I don't have a press... or snap-ring pliars... or anything really... lol...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty much in the same boat here - lost a front stud getting the wheel off. I plan to replace all mine once I have the chance... though I don't have a press... or snap-ring pliars... or anything really... lol...

You shouldn't need a press. Just a small section of a 2x4 board and a hammer. As for snap-ring pliers, they're not too expensive (even if you get Craftsman ones).

If it's 2wd, you'll need a special socket (a 'wheel bearing locknut socket'. I'm not sure if you need it for 4wd Pathys). The cheapest place to find it is on ebay. I paid about $20 for mine. Parts stores around here don't carry the right one. They have 4-prong ones, but what you'd need is a 2-prong one. One that fits Honda will work fine.

Here's a link to the socket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front-Wheel-Bearing-LockNut-Socket-NISSAN-HONDA-JEEP_W0QQitemZ320493756683QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item4a9eeaa10b

edit: Keep in mind that if you ford anything deep enough for the water to reach the hubs, you need to repack your wheel bearings ASAP afterwards just in case water gets into the hub/spindle assembly.

Edited by Chymos