2000 Pathfinder Suspension Change

mderick

Hi:

When I was looking at upgrading my suspension I was always looking for a before and after pictures so I could see what my Pathfinder may look like. As such I thought I would share for anyone thinking of upgrading their Suspension a bit my findings and results.

I have done the following:

Old Man Emu Springs Complete Suspension Medium.

Front OME921

Rear OME922

Rear OME Shocks

Front KYB GR-2 Struts with new strut mounts.

I measured (at the wheel wells for relative changes)

Before: After:

RF 32" 33"

LF 32" 33"

RR 30.5" 33.25"

LR 30.5" 33.25"

Before:

Before-2.jpg

After:

After-2.jpg

Before:

Before-1.jpg

After:

After-1.jpg

Edited by mderick

• 2 weeks later...

OME is a lift. Question, where did you get your OME springs from? If im correct then you got light, not medium fronts (921, 922, 923 for L, M, H, respectively). I could be wrong. Either way looks good. Time to get a front spacer from NX4 (daddyrim here on the forums).

Jose

I got the springs and rear shocks from Rocky-road.com

The package I got was called medium, I assumed that I would have received medium springs all round,

interesting, the part numbers I referred to are from the invoice.

I got the springs and rear shocks from Rocky-road.com

The package I got was called medium, I assumed that I would have received medium springs all round,

interesting, the part numbers I referred to are from the invoice.

They have a problem. If you check the ARB site, the numbers are different. Rocky-road is wrong. You should call them and tell them to send you the correct springs (which in their case the Heavy is actually medium). Either way, if your not going to mount a winch up front, you should be good to go. And again, It looks good. You should get that leveling plate though to even it up a bit (unless you like that look, which is cool all the same).

Jose

• 9 months later...

Looks AWESOME! I think I have been wondering about it until this post.

Couple of questions?

1. Was the difference between medium and heavy how hard the shocks are (where heavy is refers to harder)?
  2. And is the ride any harder with the medium? I want to make sure that the car is family friendly in the end.

Looks AWESOME! I think I have been wondering about it until this post.

Couple of questions?

1. Was the difference between medium and heavy how hard the shocks are (where heavy is refers to harder)?
  2. And is the ride any harder with the medium? I want to make sure that the car is family friendly in the end.

The difference is between coils and not shocks...they come in LD, MD, HD for the front and LD, and MD for the back for our yrs of PATHY...there are two different shocks available...which control speed of upper rebound...normal or comfort, which will offer a softer feel.

I have MD coils and normal shocks on the back...with a little weight, family etc, it is a nice ride. (it was too soft orig)

I have HD coils in the front because i didnt want to use spacers to get the front to the same height...NOT recommended unless you put extra weight on front...IE a steel bumper/ guard winch etc!!! The front is VERY stiff on mine right now...(dont have a bumper yet)

Tye

Thanks Hawzzy,

This helps. I have been trying to figure out how I make sure that the car works for both applications.

I am finding the OEM parts very soft and every time I put something the back it sinks (which could also be because they are done).

This makes me wonder if it would be OK to replace the shock/struts now and then do the coils later when I have the cash for that.

Thanks Hawzzy,

This helps. I have been trying to figure out how I make sure that the car works for both applications.

I am finding the OEM parts very soft and every time I put something the back it sinks (which could also be because they are done).

This makes me wonder if it would be OK to replace the shock/struts now and then do the coils later when I have the cash for that.

curious about the SAME thing. the rear sags a lot when hooking up a trailer. and I also want it family friendly in the end, not super stiff or tall

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for me too. My rear sags whenever I truck things around or if I have 4 people in the car. It's very annoying, and looks/feels awful. The car has 140K with the original shocks and springs, so that's probably got a lot to do with it too. I want a nice lift, and a nice comfy ride. Even though I don't whip the Pathy around like it's a lambo, I'd still like to keep drivability in mind. Turning, cornering, accelerating, and stopping are all things that I don't want to sacrafice too much. I was thinking about an Old Man EMU kit. Those guys seem to be well aware of drivability. I don't need a HUGE lift- I go camping, and lug heavy things/people, I don't go off-roading or rock climbing (I'd like to someday!!)

Just to follow up with this last few question. Not that I am an authority in anyway but I believe the gist I got from the forum and talking to people on NPORA was that the mediums would do the trick and that there was no need to go to high unless you were going to tow things.

The onroad characteristics...for my ride, are great. YES...the ride is much stiffer...but it was "squishy" like a mini-van B4. When i first started driving it around (post lift) it felt a little like a sportscar...in that it handled bumps great and corners even better...very little body roll.

Ill admit that i wish they had a HD spring for the back because even with the MD OME coils and tools or psgrs the rear settles a little...but the HD coils on the front make it seem worse because they DONT!!!

x3 x4 on the wondering about heavy duty springs in front..are they a safety hazard in any way (stupid quetion i know but gotta ask0 or just really stiff? Whenever the $$$ comes around i will be going the HD in front, HD (if i can fidn it) or MD in rear

to stay on topic, OP this is an old post but your rig looks good!

+1 for me too. My rear sags whenever I truck things around or if I have 4 people in the car. It's very annoying, and looks/feels awful. The car has 140K with the original shocks and springs, so that's probably got a lot to do with it too. I want a nice lift, and a nice comfy ride. Even though I don't whip the Pathy around like it's a lambo, I'd still like to keep drivability in mind. Turning, cornering, accelerating, and stopping are all things that I don't want to sacrafice too much. I was thinking about an Old Man EMU kit. Those guys seem to be well aware of drivability. I don't need a HUGE lift- I go camping, and lug heavy things/people, I don't go off-roading or rock climbing (I'd like to someday!!)

I installed these and took care of that issue right away. I'm towing a 12X6 enclosed trailer with 250'lbs on the tongue and no sag. People in the back seat with stuff in the back, no sag.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/dual-gauge-load-control-system-p-1238.html

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/suspension-air-suspension-products-c-435_74.html

x3 x4 on the wondering about heavy duty springs in front..are they a safety hazard in any way (stupid quetion i know but gotta ask0 or just really stiff? Whenever the $$$ comes around i will be going the HD in front, HD (if i can fidn it) or MD in rear

to stay on topic, OP this is an old post but your rig looks good!

Abosolutely NOT a safety hazard...i also have 31" tires at a reasonable pressure that seem to soften the bumps a little too...I really didnt want to get MD coils in the front and then put on 1" leveling spacers on the struts to "level" out the Rake...there is alot of weight on the front and they will "settle" just a little over time. I hope to get a brushguard/winch combo or steel bumper. I wish they made HD for the back...but i wanna out in SFD in spring so ill have to get new rear springs anyway!!

Tye