Insurance dilemma

PATHRIDER

Hey guys can somebody give me an advice in regards about insurance claims

My pathy was stolen 2 weeks ago and was just recovered last monday

The problem im having with the insurance is the claims adjuster told me that it is going to be totaled at $2290 or I can take a check for $2000

The list of the parts that was removed from my pathy alone is over $2000 present value.These are parts that was attached to the vehicle and not personal property thats just laying inside the truck. Were not even sure yet if the pathy will run because I have not started it..The ignition is busted..Im just hoping that the punks that stole it just ran out of gas and left it in an orv park here.

What pissed me off is that the claims adjuster came up with the total damage of $2000 (damage to the truck and parts removed)going by AUTOSOURCE and not Kelly bluebook. I dont think that the claims adjuster even bothered to itemize the parts that was damaged and missing after probably doing a check on that autosource.He kept insisting that the damages is worth more than the pathy which is valued only at $2290 with all the accesories

It wouldve been worst if the truck was never found...They will just give me what they think its worth. I am lucky enough that it was recovered

Does anyone have any advice on what steps I should take at this point? I am not going to take a couple of grand settlement

I figured that for me to fix the damages is around $2500,thats replacing all the damaged parts and accesories on the truck and ofcourse doing the work myself

Pathy has 96021 miles and I would say in excellent condition

Your help is greatly appreciated guys. This is my first having a vehicle stolen

Heres some pics of before and after

1264033799097336600.jpg

1264033961005079800.jpg

1264034018072207700.jpg

1264034096088574600.jpg

1264034249023700100.jpg

1264034326035759900.jpg

1264034606097536600.jpg

Edited by PATHRIDER

That sucks man. I can't tell you what you should do because it all depends how sentimental you are about the vehicle and whether you want to put the time and effort into building it again. From the pictures it looks like your lift is still on there, warn hubs and rims and tires.

I think you should see if it will start first before you make a decision.

For the stuff IN the truck that wasn't PART of the truck (cds, tools, mp3 player, etc.) Check into your homeowners/renters insurance. Been broken into, auto ins only covered vechile damages in my case (They paid for the window, radio, dash trim that was ruined, and re-wire radio since they yanked the wires)but homeowners covered what wasnt bolted to the truck.

For the stuff IN the truck that wasn't PART of the truck (cds, tools, mp3 player, etc.) Check into your homeowners/renters insurance. Been broken into, auto ins only covered vechile damages in my case (They paid for the window, radio, dash trim that was ruined, and re-wire radio since they yanked the wires)but homeowners covered what wasnt bolted to the truck.

I have not checked on my home owners policy yet but doesnt it only covers theft if its in your property? My rig was stolen from a hotel parking lot

That sucks man. I can't tell you what you should do because it all depends how sentimental you are about the vehicle and whether you want to put the time and effort into building it again. From the pictures it looks like your lift is still on there, warn hubs and rims and tires.

I think you should see if it will start first before you make a decision.

Im going to try to start it tomorrow. I think that the key barrel is just hangin below the column. I didnt even thought of starting it when I was checking the damaages. Im planning on restoring her again.

Oh No!! That was such a beautiful truck, and only 96k?? :doh:

I would happily harm the thieves. Seriously.

Look at the front frame horns, they might be damaged by the twist of the push bar and the damage of the front bumper. It looks like they slid into something, nosed down jumping it or something like that. If the front horns are bent, the IFS will not have the right geometry so make sure this can be properly fixed if it is damaged, trust me.

I have no practical advice to add other than $2000 for your truck is absurd, especially with all the aftermarket patrts and without damage assessment. Don't give up and good luck.

B

Just a thought, post what insurance company and I'll send a letter about what I think of their assessment and that I would never consider them, etc... ;)

Maybe others would do the same also... :shrug:

B

I have not checked on my home owners policy yet but doesnt it only covers theft if its in your property? My rig was stolen from a hotel parking lot

I was parked 2 blocks away on a parallel street.(used to have to on street park)

Oh No!! That was such a beautiful truck, and only 96k?? :doh:

I would happily harm the thieves. Seriously.

Look at the front frame horns, they might be damaged by the twist of the push bar and the damage of the front bumper. It looks like they slid into something, nosed down jumping it or something like that. If the front horns are bent, the IFS will not have the right geometry so make sure this can be properly fixed if it is damaged, trust me.

I have no practical advice to add other than $2000 for your truck is absurd, especially with all the aftermarket patrts and without damage assessment. Don't give up and good luck.

B

Just a thought, post what insurance company and I'll send a letter about what I think of their assessment and that I would never consider them, etc... ;)

Maybe others would do the same also... :shrug:

B

B I sure would like to find out who did it but then my wife reminded me that whoever stole it has my information and knows where we live because of the registration in the glove box.

I think that the bumper damage was due to them trying to pull it out of the mud and strapped a chain or something on the bullbar and yanked the bumper with it.The top bracket on that bullbar is mounted on the bumpers factory brackets also.I checked that part and it looked like the brackets that I used to mount the bumper either snapped the bolt or it just moved since the hole for the top mount is extended with another strap that came with the body lift kit kinda like on an angle(L shape).. Im hoping I can just push it back in and re thighten the bolts or replace them. theres no scratches or any sign that it hit something

as far as my insurance Im with allstate...15 years with them both home and auto and this is my first claim..I just cant believe that claims adjuster..Im not going to give up on this..Its either they come up with a fair value or we go to court. Im switching to geico after this...allstate is good with little claims from what ive heard and when it comes to big claims like mine they would try to screw their clients. I also spoke to a neighbor and she mentioned that dont take their first offer if its not in my favor and it is my right to decline it.hope in my case they come to their senses and offer a fair value on our second meeting. Truck is being towed at their own lot tomorrow and i have to deal with another adjuster what they call total lost adjuster

Ok, sounds like you have a handle on that front damage, I just wanted to make sure. That's why I got rid of my first truck, front frame horn damage and then a botched repair job.

It sounds like you are geeting good information/advice so all I can say is good luck and I'm sorry this happened.

As for the people knowing where you live, good. Then you can legally shoot them... :ar15:

B

Ok...I'm going to try to understand before I open my mouth.

"The problem im having with the insurance is the claims adjuster told me that it is going to be totaled at $2290 or I can take a check for $2000"

I understand by this statement that if you take the check for $2000 you still get to keep the truck? Otherwise you get $2290 and the insurance company keeps it.

I'll assume you are correct in that there is more than $2000 worth of stuff missing. Do you have receipts for your aftermarket stuff that is missing? Insurance adjusters are used to dealing with "normal" cars with factory options. When you get into aftermarket stuff, they are basically clueless so the burden falls on you to provide the info to what the value of the added parts is. I know once I had get the value upp'd on a vehicle that got totaled but had recently had a lot of work done to it. I had the receipts to prove the work had been completed. In your case, it's aftermarket parts that you will want to replace. If you don't have the receipts, then I'd put together a list of the items missing and their replacement value. Include with each item the source for your replacement value. It may do no good at all depending on the adjuster and the insurance company rules. However, it's only a few hours work to make the list and could get you so more $$.

"The problem im having with the insurance is the claims adjuster told me that it is going to be totaled at $2290 or I can take a check for $2000"

I understand by this statement that if you take the check for $2000 you still get to keep the truck? Otherwise you get $2290 and the insurance company keeps it.

I'll assume you are correct in that there is more than $2000 worth of stuff missing. Do you have receipts for your aftermarket stuff that is missing? Insurance adjusters are used to dealing with "normal" cars with factory options. When you get into aftermarket stuff, they are basically clueless so the burden falls on you to provide the info to what the value of the added parts is. I know once I had get the value upp'd on a vehicle that got totaled but had recently had a lot of work done to it. I had the receipts to prove the work had been completed. In your case, it's aftermarket parts that you will want to replace. If you don't have the receipts, then I'd put together a list of the items missing and their replacement value. Include with each item the source for your replacement value. It may do no good at all depending on the adjuster and the insurance company rules. However, it's only a few hours work to make the list and could get you so more $$.

That is correct..I can take a check for $2000 and call it good or 2290 and they keep it. As far as the aftermarket stuff yes I do have receipts boxes and pictures of what I added on which I sent the insurance claims adjuster.He even called me to verify the list of the missing parts I sent him. All those parts were bought brand new, some on ebay some on rei and mountain gear. Im going to contact the towing company today where its stored as of yesterday and maybe till today and asked if that adjuster even checked my truck. What I think he did was checked the value on the vehicle and went by the pics I sent him..He mustve found out the value is way below what the damages are and just claim it as totaled and never even bothered to check or asses the damages personally

Another thing is I did some checking on that auto source place that he told me they use to value a vehicle instead of nada or kelly and found out that that place is where you can buy insurance salvaged vehicle...I dont think its fair that he check the value on my rig at the stage where its in right now. Im going to have sone serious discussion with my agent today

I will keep you guys posted

If they give you 2K for the truck and you keep it, I would do that if you want the truck. The difference between the 2290 and the 2000 is the Salvage value most likely. Bear in mind that you will be dealing with a salvage title at that point and many insurance companies will not deal with it or they will charge extra. You will need a special inspection, etc., as well. You are not going to get replacement value for this claim or any of the "extra" items; this stuff is based on actual cash value; therefore, it's depreciated. You may be able to negotiate a higher price though. I would avoid court as this is just more money out of your pocket. Have the Kelley Blook Book value handy as well when you meet with this guy.

If they give you 2K for the truck and you keep it, I would do that if you want the truck. The difference between the 2290 and the 2000 is the Salvage value most likely. Bear in mind that you will be dealing with a salvage title at that point and many insurance companies will not deal with it or they will charge extra. You will need a special inspection, etc., as well. You are not going to get replacement value for this claim or any of the "extra" items; this stuff is based on actual cash value; therefore, it's depreciated. You may be able to negotiate a higher price though. I would avoid court as this is just more money out of your pocket. Have the Kelley Blook Book value handy as well when you meet with this guy.

Lets just say that it depreciated in value and its only been 2 years since ive added those parts thats missing I think its just fair for them to give me atleast half of the amount I originally paid for..If it totaled $2000 on those parts I should atleast get $1000..The total that I have are not just some figures that I come up with..They actually have receipts and I totaled them all

I just contacted the claims adjuster and was told that the claim is now assigned to their total loss adjuster..I hope that the person my claim is assigned to this time is more reasonable. It just ticks me off that the value on the pathy the first claims adjuster gave me was absurd.Im betting that he took the value of my pathy the way it sits right now not before the accident.

As far as going to court I dont think they would waste their time on a claim like mine...all they need to do is add an extra $1500 to to the $2000 theyre offering me...do you guys think that they would rather prolong this and go to court instead of settling the claim at a fair value? Im crossing my fingers on this one

I have a buddy that is going through the same thing right now. His 2000 Frontier was hit by a guy who lost a wheel and tire off of his boat trailer. The wheel came across the median on I-5 and hit my buddies truck right smack in the front. The insurance company of the guy at fault is trying to only give him $2300 for his rig. I told him, and others told me, to get prices on replacing your rig with the same model. Add up all the stuff you have put on your rig, and present them with reciepts if you have them (Obviously, if you say you had a Mona Lisa in the back, they are not going to believe you without proof.). If you are going to keep your rig, well, the overall amount you get might be less. Thats what I know.

Derek

There is no fighting them on depreciation, I had Craftsman tools stolen and they got depreciated. How the hell does something that you can take back and get an exact replacement without additional charge depreciate?

I would take the $2k and the truck, and cut my loses.

The problem with car insurance is that your premiums are based on the actual cash value of your vehicle. Unless you get special insurance or special riders on your policy. They will only pay you KBB value. Even if you put in a solid gold dash and platinum steering wheel. In order to get the special riders or special insurance you have to take your car and get it appraised by an appraiser of the insurance company choosing this is all before they issue you a policy. Unfortunately there are few insurance companies that offer this type of insurance. And the ones that do are very expensive. On newer vehicles most of the time you owe more than the vehicle is worth and if the insurance company totals it you will still owe on the loan for your vehicle. (this happened to me)

This is why I only have liability coverage on my pathfinder and I park it in my garage. My new daily driver stays in the driveway. If they steal my daily driver I will get more of my investment back than if I had my pathfinder fully covered and it was stolen. Because I know the insurance company will only pay the blue book value and that would not even cover my front and rear arb lockers. Let alone the Arb bumper and winch.

It is getting pretty sad, seems like more and more of our vehicles are being targeted for theft. Unfortunately the cooler we make our vehicles the more people want to steel them and joyride them or just take all our cool parts. I put a pager alarm in my pathfinder that will page me if my trucks alarm is sounded. that way I can meet them guns drawn. Standard alarms are just ignored nowadays since they go off so often for no good reason.

anyways, Just be glad you got it back.

Mark

Edited by msavides

You may be able to get a little extra (maybe $150-$200) if you have the receipts, but it depends on the adjuster. Given this is Allstate and they are as cheap as it comes to paying claims, I would not be surprised if they did not give you anything. What is the KBB value of your truck, that is the value you will be able to negotiate with?

When my 89 was totaled in 05 I got $1800 and the truck back for $50. I had 220K miles on it. There was no budging at all from the $1800. I picked it clean and sent off to the scrap yard.

Edited by Steve_RI

Thanks Mark. Another sad thing with the insurance now is that they based the value using their own book called auto source..I checked that and its a salvage yard...Like i said before that I hope the damn claims adjuster did not value my pathy after the theft.

Did some checking locally on craigslist and dealer and fair value is between $3000 to $4000 depending on mileage and condition.I can buy one for under $3000 but it will need some work...I just want to put my pathy back the way it was before it got stolen ..Now Im thinking of just building her back without the roof rack and try to keep her simple and focus on working on the suspension. I dont go offroading much anyways.Built her so that I can get around here in the winter months and all the work I did 2 years ago paid off last year when we had almost 5 feet of snow

now they have transfered my claim to total loss and I told the claims adjuster that handled it the first time that Im not going to agree on their offer and what he offered me is an insult

You may be able to get a little extra (maybe $150-$200) if you have the receipts, but it depends on the adjuster. Given this is Allstate and they are as cheap as it comes to paying claims, I would not be surprised if they did not give you anything. What is the KBB value of your truck, that is the value you will be able to negotiate with?

When my 89 was totaled in 05 I got $1800 and the truck back for $50. I had 220K miles on it. There was no budging at all from the $1800. I picked it clean and sent off to the scrap yard.

I checked at kbb under private property value in good condition and its valued at $3395..Im not sure if I should check it under retail value

Private party value

It doesnt give me an option of what the value is under Retail value in good condition but it does in excellent and it is $5120

Retail value

The thing that's a pisser. is insurance is so you don't have to take a loss on your vehicle and to minimize inconvenience in case something happens. and so you can get it replaced (with one just like it) Now how are you suppose to replace it with one like it for what they offered.

I think in California they have a little stricter guidelines regarding where they get their cash value amount from (that was then could be different now). If you get your ducks in a row and get some replacement cost figures on what it would take for you to replace it and confront the adjuster maybe you could sway them. The thing that sucks is in order to get this resolved to your satisfaction you are probably going to have to take them to court. Insurance is so you don't have to go to court and be sued. It is a sad state of affairs when you have to sue your own insurance company after you have been paying them for so many years.