Air Intake Resonator

Tungsten

Does anyone know anything about that tube which sits right above the fan shroud? What function does it serve? On a dealer parts website like courtesyparts.com its called an intake resonator. Mine is a little warped at the connector where it goes to the air box. Can I get rid of this thing completely? What would be the drawbacks or benefits?

I took it off and just left the open hole going into the airbox. Haven't had any problems at all, sounds a little deeper when accelerating now too. Here's the link to what I took off, I had a little problem right after, but it was because I had disturbed the MAF sensor, but after adjusting it, everything was fine.

My link

I took it off and just left the open hole going into the airbox. Haven't had any problems at all, sounds a little deeper when accelerating now too. Here's the link to what I took off, I had a little problem right after, but it was because I had disturbed the MAF sensor, but after adjusting it, everything was fine.

My link

I think it smothes out the air flow going into the motor - creates laminar flow vs turbulent? I pulled mine out too, didn't notice a difference without it.

its called an intake resonator

Yep, I had asked about it recently and that is what our friendly resident nissan/infinity mechanic said it was. His advice was to remove it and throw it in the trash...

B

i also got rid of mine before i installed a snorkel. You might want to plug the hole it leaves in the air box to prevent water from splashing in there

Edicer I saw your truck a while back in minniamples...I was like hey I've seen that truck before...

oh and my black plastic tube thing,its cracked and held on with electrical tape...I thought it was some sort of factory snorkle,when its removed there is a bit more woosing noise.

Edited by nismothunder

• 2 years later...

Thank's I was wondering what the heck that plastic pipe was for as it seemed to sit there doing nothing I thought it was for better air flow but that it was missing a piece.Ha,Ha,learn something new everyday. I plan to lose it tomorrow. Thanks again! You guys are great.

There is another silencer that sits inside the fender. You can try to remove one of those too but I think you would have to remove the actual fender.

I actually took one of these resonators out of the pick a part and installed it on my truck. Was wondering if I'd notice a sound difference. I didn't. But the hole in the box is plugged now! I guess if it ever gets annoying I'll take it off and plug the hole some other way...

The tube on my truck, where it goes around... I think it's an A/C line, it is pinched, so that's where the open part of the tube stops, but it continues up and around the radiator, with an open end on the passenger side. But it does not aid in air intake. Only reason mine is still on is to keep water from getting in to the airbox.

^^ Yep... air doesn't really go through them, they just sort of muffle the whooshing noise I guess... like you breathe more loudly when your sinuses are plugged up.

And yeah, there's no way to get to the one in the fender w/o pulling the fender. Unless you're running a snorkel or mounting a cone filter I wouldn't bother with it.