Does A Nail In The Tire Cause A Blow Out?

ac92pathfinder

sorry just alittle bored. does a nail in a tire cause a blow out? i went to a tire shop awhile ago and i was told a nail does not cause a blow out and the nail i had was on the corner of the tire between the treads and the side wall. i was like really i had a blow out from a nail in the tire. infact i got a screw in my tire on the pathfinder it only leaks when i put a load guess i been too lazy to fix it. i bought the dyno plug set but i missed placed it but also got the plug set i bought from autozone. anyway im just bored and want to see what you guys think.

Only blow out I ever had was in Baja Mexico when I clipped a rock off road. I've had countless nails and such and the way to a 3/8 bolt through the sidewall of a motorcycle tire on the freeway and never a blow out, so I'll got ahead and agree with that you were told.

B

I've had nails/screws/bolts/allen wrenches/hell even once had on eof those little whte 3 legged table looking things that used to be used to keep the top of the delivery pizza box off the pizza stuck in a tire. No blow out, only leaks that were easily plugged. All my blow-outs were from apparntly hitting things...

Nails, screws a small bolt, glass, even a gutter spike once, but never a blowout from any of them.

Only one I have had, was actually two... one dark rainy night a pothole on the edge of a winding road took out both of my passenger side tire on my Taurus. It was a new hole that had formed do to the ground under it washing out from the heavy rains. The tires were sliced from being pinched between the road and rims.

Luckily the aluminum rims were fine :aok:

I had a nail in my laredo's for years. It never leaked and it wore with the tread (I was keeping track of it). when the tires were bald I dug it out with a knife and a needle nose what was left of it was a little under 1/2" and still had not made it all the way though the 6ply steel bleted radial. In fact I ran those tires bald for some time and still never wore down to the belt lol.

Yeah, a lot of the time things like nails essentially plug the hole they create. It's when you effectively puncture slash a pressurized tire WITHOUT plugging it that you create an imbalance and experience a blowout as the pressurized air rips its way out. Apart from that, treads may separate and then, well, it's just all kinds of things happening at once but blowouts are amongst those things. At least, so it's seemed to me when I've witnessed it happening.

I don't know why the tires on semis seem to experience so many blowouts. I've had to dodge 'em a couple of times. Sheer number of miles ? Varying terrain ? Sloppy maintenance ?

Reason for edit: clarified the point I was trying to make. Bad pizza and little sleep last night make GPG a fuzzy-headed boy

Edited by GoPathyGo

I don't know why the tires on semis seem to experience so many blowouts. I've had to dodge 'em a couple of times. Sheer number of miles ? Varying terrain ? Sloppy maintenance ?

To my understanding, the number one cause is being run for many miles at lower than recommended tire pressures, which caused the tires to overhead allowing the tread to separate. This is most common n retreads, but can and does also happen to new tires as well.

To my understanding, the number one cause is being run for many miles at lower than recommended tire pressures, which caused the tires to overhead allowing the tread to separate. This is most common n retreads, but can and does also happen to new tires as well.

Ah, good to know. I found this on blowouts. Looks like my "slashing" thing was just one of many reasons.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=13

Nail no,I had a screw once but I just changed the tire wire my dry rotted spair and fixed it when I got home(fun cause I had bought the plug kit at wal mart that very day) Now dry rotted tires will blow out,I have driven on dry totted tru-trac ats for about a week before I got what I call a flapper(chunk of tread coming off)That,too much load and a bad tire with brocken belts will cause a blow out,not a nail...