Emissions

87Elephant

so i wanna sell my cat.. but i cant figure out if it has to pass emissions.. its 20 years old.. and i thought if it was 15 and older.. it didnt require emissions.

does anyone know more about this subject??

Washington People :wiggle: Thanks!

It all depends on all the state,like mn,theres no emissions,but wisconin has it...It all depends on the state.

Removeing the cat add only 2-3 hp on built engines,on a 3.0 v6 it will not be noticeable unless you cat is plugged(and about a pint of go-lightly will fix that)Some members on hear say that it adds a more agressive tone to the exhaust(which it would since it flowing better).

Generally if not universally here in the US, if it came with it, it is required to have it.... especially in regard to emissions equipment.

Yes you are required to have a CAT on an 89 Pathfinder. If you are caught without it, then you can be fined.. and iirc the fine is not a small one. I want to say that the law about removing and the fine for doing so, is federal and not a state thing.

the it's 20yrs and they only require them up to 15yrs is about testing. But you are still required to have all smog equipment it was equipped with new.

There is at least one member here who will say that you'll gain noticeable amounts of power by removing it, but there are more here that will say its BS, that any power gains are negligible... and I fit into that group myself :beer:

From the EPA Clean Air Act (Enacted 1988)

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 85 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part A > § 7524

§ 7524. Civil penalties

(a) Violations

Any person other than a manufacturer or dealer who violates section 7522 (a)(3)(A) of this title or any person who violates section 7522 (a)(3)( B ) of this title shall be subject to a civil penalty of not more than $2,500.

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 85 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part A > § 7522

§ 7522. Prohibited acts

(a) Enumerated prohibitions

(3)

( B ) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use; or

******* scratchheadyellow.gif

Again NOT the poho.. contribute or move along please judge.gif

*post removed*

Yes, the cat is required and must be in place in order to pass emissions. There's a huge fine if you get caught without one.

The power gain from a cat pipe depends on the vehicle's motor, cat condition, piping, flow patterns, etc. Same rigs benefit a good amount from a pipe, and others none whatsoever. Like I said, it depends on what's what...Now the exhaust note on the other hand, becomes much more aggressive and louder.

By the way, Red is referring to me in his previous post about the person who things that they give huge improvements and blah blah blah. :aok:

so not true that a cat is required to pass emissions. they are required for sure. my truck only failed its last emissions test bysomething like .02 on one test and i dont have a cat and wasnt asked any questions. once i failed i then decided to go register the vehicle out in ellensburg cause they have no emissions so i didnt have to worry about fixing it. i also had a ellensburg address and could do that casue the truck was beign primarily used in ellensburg

Jared, "required" meant by law and if it is visually inspected and they noticed that it is not there... not that it would fail the actual test if it was not there. That really depends on your engines condition (but the odds of passing a low at best) thumbsup.gif

From what I know and have read they are required to be there... passing a test or not, IMO it's not worth risking the fine. It's also not worth the damage they help to prevent either togo.gif

yea i meant that it is required. my words were just a little jumbled i think. but i meant they are required. was trying to say i didnt have one. they didnt notice and i almost passed. im jsut losing my self. tiem for a beverage or sleep

I went in with my friend who didn't put his cat back on when he went through emissions. The guy noticed and told him to leave right then and there and come back when the problem is fixed. He kind of turned a blind eye to that one.

But it makes me wonder, if a truck can almost pass without a cat, then why have one on? .02-.00 (.00 is passing) is a very small failure margin... If a truck does pass then that shows it's not even needed as it passes the test for the clean air act.

So a C or D is "good enough" when with a little extra you can have an A? togo.gif

I don't know the exact specs taken into account for the emissions standards but given that they cover a wide range of vehicles I would imagine some meet those vehicles do better than others. Perhaps the VG30 ("e" in Jared's case) are cleaner than other is the same group.

I would bet that our i's are not as clean, so if the standards did not allow for a range of them, then one of two things would happen. Either we would not be allowed to register our vehicles after a given amount of years/miles or the Clean Air Act would be a FAR larger document, so that it could set more detailed standards across the industry wink.gif

Since this is becoming yet another debate on CATs in general, lets clearify for the original poster

so i wanna sell my cat.. but i cant figure out if it has to pass emissions.. its 20 years old.. and i thought if it was 15 and older.. it didnt require emissions.

Washington People wiggle.gif Thanks!

Yes, by law they are required even if you are not required to have emissions tests thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

I reside in washington state and I can tell you ; if you are trying to get a pass on emissions you have four ways on doing it

1 . wait 25 years till it becomes emissions exempt (any truck/car made 25 years ago you have to look at your plate on the side of your door not by your title )

2 . Move OR get a friend in a none emissions area to say you reside in that area

3 . Make your truck into a farm truck ; only draw back is you can't travel more then 150 miles in any way ( one big circle )

4 . Get a mail box via a non emissions area ( ups store etc. ) then change address to the mail box

Added note ; I don't have a cat on my 87 and it runs fine , true you have to put it back on for emissions ... but i never do ( i bolt the shell of the cat on my pipe;

the people there are so dum de dum de dum any thing could fool them . I mean you could ride a pink elephant into there test area and

say this is my truck . ....

Edited by WiredWrong

• 2 weeks later...

Yes my Pathfinder would not pass emmisions so a smog guys told me to run a gallon of denatured alcohal before I came back to him the next morning and run the truck in the morning for about an hour down the road so it gets nice and hot and then take it there for smog,so I ran a gallon in the tank when fuel was low and it did the trick,what it does is heat the converter and clean it out so it will pass because it burn hotter and cleaner and does nothing to harm motor,however you will need to replace with in a year or so your converter thats way it did not pass or runs to much o2s ,you can buy it from a auto paint store or home paint store that what I did ,good luck hope thay helps.

the alcho burns Allot cleaner and produces almost zero emissons compared to gasoline. if you run it too often I might rot older injector seals.

A cat requires heat to begin its chemical reaction between the catylist and Hydrocarbons in your exhaust. the caytlist inside most cats is rated for about 5 years but of course many will pass emissions for much longer than that.

Get a High flow cat (like legally not having one!-) but you do...

WI changed to no emissions on 95 and older; earlier this year!!! :D

I used to have one by random technology on an old sentra I had modded out. Worked great but was only good for about two smog tests. I think they went outta buisness though.

It all depends on all the state,like mn,theres no emissions,but wisconin has it...It all depends on the state.

Removeing the cat add only 2-3 hp on built engines,on a 3.0 v6 it will not be noticeable unless you cat is plugged(and about a pint of go-lightly will fix that)Some members on hear say that it adds a more agressive tone to the exhaust(which it would since it flowing better).

So what is this Go-Lightly? Is it a temp fix or something that can be used for a maintenance for the cat?

James