95 Pathfinder Runs 3K Rpm Doing...

ac92pathfinder

70mph for about the first 3 or 4 miles on the hwy. but this driving it from a cold start but the rest of the day is fine any clue? heres a pic of the trans fluid when i checked it recently. its still clean. Nov14_001-1.jpg thanks

Edited by ac92pathfinder

70mph for about the first 3 or 4 miles on the hwy. but this driving it from a cold start but the rest of the day is fine any clue?

Probably it is normal behavior. Torque converter lock ("top gear" in auto tranny) will not engage until ATF temperature is lower than pre-determined.

Edited by Terrano1992

Considering that no one is listing gear ratios or tire sizes, rpm and indicated speed is all moot.

3000@70 isn't anything excessive, these trucks run a little higher in the rpm to try to make up for lack of power anyway.

I have noticed the same effect and it is the TC lockup as far as I can tell. Perfectly normal...

Clean fluid should look pink and not have black residue in it. :shrug:

B

No, you will be fine. I try to avoid the highways here because when I have to pass someone I usually have to take out OD and have it rev at like 3700rpms!

I drove down to toronto once going 130km/h the whole way, with 4.6 gears and 235 75 15 tires i was revving about 3100. Actually got better mileage than when I do 100km/h at 2500rpms.

With the 31's now it revs at like 2200ish at 100km/h. I can do almost 140km/h while keeping it under three grand.

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily. It may have come from the factory with 31" tires and the speedo be spot on, like my old 95XE. Not to mention, taller tires will make the speedo read slow, not fast and I doubt he is going 88mph @2800rpm.

My guess is that he speedo reads high (for what ever reason) and he probably has the 4.3 gears. My old 95XE ran at 70+*2900rpm with 31" tires and 4.6 gears...

B

ok...so I have the 4.6 gear ratio and its at 2900-3000,I would say that bigger tires affect mpg(you should get better mpg if your going steady,wosre if its stop and go)

If you have 4.3s you should get better mpg going 70,since the rear end isnt spinning as much...

its not off

you get that because of your 31" tires

I think he has 4.37 gears...I dont think going to 31s will affect the rpms that much,since in fact he should be going 85-90 mph if he didnt reset the speedo when he went to bigger tires,I mean 80mph at 2700 rpm is really good,in any truck...,

hell in my 150 80 is 2100,but my rear end is ether 3.55 of 3.73...