Just Curious

shotzie417

i have a question,i have a 1990 nissan pathfinder xe-v6 3.0l 4x4 5 speed with a vg30e in it still bone stock except for headers.anyway my question was are all pathhies like mine this slow for example i can hardly keep up with miny vans(i am not exagerating), or wat could be wrong? also wat would cause an engine to backfire? thanx in advanced

mine keeps up with all the other pathys in town. I do tuneups exessively changing plugs, wires, cap & rotor early and all @ the same time. I check the o2 sensor for deposits and check my MAF for dirt as well. I also do a seafoam treatment every spring (good smoke show) Its still slow but not depressing.

What I really don't get is every now and then it gets really strong for about 10 min some times it'll chirp going into 2nd or break loose for a sec on wet road when I drop 3rd @ 50mph. Be nice if it was always that stong or stronger... But most the time I won't sad.gif Ok maybe it is depressing lol

Edited by MY1PATH

you will pass the minivans once you get on the trails; sounds like you need a tune-up fo' sho'!

When I hit the accelerator the truck moves, over 100 it gets a little tense but I blame the lift and tires.

Buy a Z if you want to race... tickets get expensive though :wiggle:

well i have 2.4 engine and i dont feel like it is too slowly, before that i had 2.6 V6 Opel Omega manual gearbox, i think it is even faster than the omega, on lower RPMS

Edited by MaRgE

mine keeps up with all the other pathys in town. I do tuneups exessively changing plugs, wires, cap & rotor early and all @ the same time. I check the o2 sensor for deposits and check my MAF for dirt as well. I also do a seafoam treatment every spring (good smoke show) Its still slow but not depressing.

What I really don't get is every now and then it gets really strong for about 10 min some times it'll chirp going into 2nd or break loose for a sec on wet road when I drop 3rd @ 60mph. Be nice if it was always that stong or stronger... But most the time I won't :( Ok maybe it is depressing lol

Mine does the same, sometimes it'll feel strong and have much more power then it goes away. My old truck did that as well.

I've discovered that unsprung weight makes a difference. Just by downsizing from 31x10.5 tires to 235/75 R15s, I noticed my rig is a bit more peppy and the ride isn't as jittery and nervous. I think my MPG is better too. My buddy changed out his stock steelies for some forged aluminum rims that were about 5lbs lighter per wheel and that thing felt like a rocket afterwords...well maybe by Pathy standards.

Edited by jpawela

Mine has been in a few races and hasn't lost one. I guess I screen my competitors... haha :) Though mine does tend to have it's "more powerful" days. Just put in a cold air intake, with little change besides the tone. All I can say is I've been in slower. Also depends on the mini-vans your trying to race. They can be pretty quick. Smaller tires can make a lil difference as well.

The back firing maybe cause by a bad dizzy cap or rotor...my 95 was back firing and I replaced them and it fixed it,I'm not saying thats the problem with your but it could help...

Huh...my 2960cc monster would spin both rear 245/70s for 10-15 feet on concrete,off idle,not brake staging or any thing and it left preppy good marks for only 153 hp.

thanx everyone for all the replies, i guess i am going to have to tough it out. haha

or swap in a 3.3... 10% bigger 10% more power and even more if you use a 3.0 cam in the 3.3 head.

• 2 weeks later...

or swap in a 3.3... 10% bigger 10% more power and even more if you use a 3.0 cam in the 3.3 head.

Yank out all of that STOCK AIR FILTER box and junk and put a cone type (K&N) air filter on it. Made a NICE improvement on my 1990 SE 4x4....much more peppy now that the engine could actually BREATHE. Gas mileage improved a little bit too. Did mine years ago and still going strong.

I have pictures if you would like to see. Its a piece of cake.