Pre-Cat On Your Wd21

Precise1

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do/did you have a stock pre-cat?

Yep, mine had a pre cat despite nobody believing me

No, you misunderstand Bud. We believe you. Both my trucks have it. Initially you said 2 cats not precat and cat, that's what confused me. It's undeniable that they exist (I even sold one) and we know why they are there, we just don't understand the rhyme or reason behind who has them and who doesnt... ;)

B

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, mine had a pre cat despite nobody believing me...its gone now though...pile of junk if you ask me...truck actually runs BETTER without it.

Here is a pic....

factoryexhaust.jpg

Don't just toss em out, they fetch a good $$$ at the scrap yards due to the platinum inside them.

No, you misunderstand Bud. We believe you. Both my trucks have it. Initially you said 2 cats not precat and cat, that's what confused me. It's undeniable that they exist (I even sold one) and we know why they are there, we just don't understand the rhyme or reason behind who has them and who doesnt... ;)

B

I certainly did! My apologies!

I will have to have it smogged in another month or two, so yes, I will definitely share the grief results... :D

B

Well I have been calling around trying to get a quote on doing a new catback on my pathy... Talked to Performance Exhaust in Auburn and they refused to put a High Flow cat on my pathy, he guaranteed me that it would not pass emissions (?).

So I sure hope you pass :)

Well I have been calling around trying to get a quote on doing a new catback on my pathy... Talked to Performance Exhaust in Auburn and they refused to put a High Flow cat on my pathy, he guaranteed me that it would not pass emissions (?).

I saved the old cat/precat and would just have to bolt it on if the high flow cat doesn't pass, BUT the Magnaflow unit I got is CARB certified for installation in California so I have to imagine it will pass. :shrug:

B

Dude. If a TBI injected Pathfinder with 260K on it passed emissions with a Magnaflow high-flow cat, an MPFI should easily pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude. If a TBI injected Pathfinder with 260K on it passed emissions with a Magnaflow high-flow cat, an MPFI should easily pass.

You would think so.

I get my paycheck this week so I am going to get the exhaust put on. I will ask them in person why they won't install it, see if the answer differs. Maybe they are thinking a different type of High Flow cat.

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a pre-cat on my '95 SE. I was searching to see if it would be detrimental to remove it & just go with one cat. I think I'll put an intermediate pipe on there instead. Hopefully, I'll have a new exhaust by Monday.

I have removed the pre-cat and gone with Thorley headers and a Magnaflow high flow cat. This system passes California smog so that is not a concern.

I had a thread here that asked about the pre-cat but the answers weren't clear IIRC. Basically, they were more prevalent in the later years and the eastern/northern north america. It is for faster cataclysmic action in cold conditions from what I have gathered.

There was no true rhyme or reason though... :shrug:

B

Mine had two plugged up cats in it (didn't know why until now though!) and I think it started its life in Idaho. The exhaust guy who repiped it shrugged, cut them out, and put one generic cat in, and the truck felt like it reclaimed a lot of lost power. We don't emissions test around here though, so I'm no help.

I had a thread here that asked about the pre-cat but the answers weren't clear IIRC...

And this is it. Damn, I'm losing it!! :unsure:

Precise, do you recall the model & price of that Magnaflow? It was a 2" diameter, correct?

No, not exactly, but it shouldn't be hard for me to look up so let me get back to you.

Yes, it was a 2" Magnaflow high flow cat, going larger wasn't legal in Ca, 2" was the max and probably sufficient anyway.

B

I had a thread here that asked about the pre-cat but the answers weren't clear IIRC.

B

And this is it. Damn, I'm losing it!! :unsure:

B

he's showing the signs, lets put him down before it gets worse!