Anyone painted their truck camo?

Wanderer

Just wondering if anyone has done it or has any pics? I am considering doin it this winter to my 2 door, I want to do it 'urban' camo in the winter colours (white, grey, dark grey and black).

I will have lots of extra time on my hands this winter and the white paint on my truck has seen better days. This is just one of my many strange ideas I come up with to kill time and it wont really cost much at all, just time. I have no experience painting so it should be interesting if I actually do it, if it looks terrible I'll just get my buddy to spray it again.

This is my informal training

:clickdalink: I dont want it exacly like that, but its a good general idea of what im after

Let me know what you guys think....... Good idea....... Bad idea......

Edited by Wanderer

NO. Bad Idea.

I should probably explain...

Unless your willing to do it GREAT, like put a ton of effort into the prep, make a unique and pretty design with decent color choices, and then put a clear coat on to make it look like something more than you with a can of paint.....it will look cheesy and won't turn out how your probably imagining it.

Sorry, but its true...

Don't think a can of paint will look all that great, if you want it to look decent, you will probably need to rent a compressor and spray gun....

But hey, if it doesn't make a big difference to you, grab some rattle cans and go for it!

Edited by OldSlowReliable

You can actually do a really good job yourself if you have a spray gun and air compressor. Rattle cans are OK but unless you sand with 2000 grit sandpaper, then clear, then sand again it won't have any gloss. not sure if you care, but just what I've experienced. You can make rattle cans look good. It just takes a lot of work. I've done it on my fender, and the couple people I told at Adventure weekend said they never would've guessed that I did it myself.

No experience? Steer clear until you get yourself some practice then...mess around with a box for a refridgerator or somethign you can care less about to get a GOOD idea what to do, not just...meh, it will work attitude. Spray bomb can turn out good as said IF done right and preped properly. There is an old adage about opinions and a certian orfice on the body that has something to do with everyone having one and all in all it's what YOU want. Personally I say go for whatever you like AFTER learning how to do it.

Thanks for the input fellas,

I was planing on using an air compressor and spray gun. I dont expect it to turn out like a mint custom paint job, I have realistic expectations with my limited ability LOL :crossedwires: After this winter the truck is most likely gonna end up as a trail truck anyways (hopefully this winter works out as planned and I can get a nice Xterra for the road) so its not really a big loss if it looks like trash. I just hope I dont look like a redneck with a terrible paint job LOL.

As far as steering clear of painting my truck that I got for less than a grand....... this is the cheapest vehicle I have ever, and probably will ever, have, so I think this is a perfect practice canvas (so to speek) to learn a new skill.

@ KovemaN, what techinque did you use to do yours (stencil, free hand)? Do you have any better pics?

I just hope I dont look like a redneck with a terrible paint job

I sincerely hope that comment was directed towards me. My redneck girlfriend talked me into buying that truck with that paint job. I actually replaced the original doors and repainted the new ones to match. I don't think the previous owner used any stencils. Probably lots of drugs. I did the new doors and touch it up occasionally freehand. Posterboard stencils would probably look much better. Just lay down your base color and add shapes from there. She's my trail rig and I love her, but it takes a certain type of person to run around in a rattle canned 4x4. Children are by far the most appreciative gawkers. I can post some more pictures if you really want, but I think this picture says it all.

Chit_Piss.jpg

Edited by KovemaN

I say do it!

No experience until you do it, then you learn from your mistakes and have a nice primer to try it again.

Duplicolor Paintshop ROCKS!

But prep is the key... wet sand the entire truck to get the wax clearcoat off (fish eyes suck)

Hell don't listen to me though as I only painted 1 car 20 years ago (and I even used metal flake in the paint) Green 71 240Z with Gold flake (Packers colors Yo!-)

Prep...

Good luck and take pics

I learned to weld after my frame broke as I sit behind a PC all day; Now I'm a welding addict (have the right truck for it!-)

Worried about shiny paint and clear coat on a 20 year old 4x4? You all must have spent too much time painting in an enclosed space.

LOL but I agree. Yeah, go for it. You have a compressor, the time and aren't trying to make a show car. No harm in a little practice first though, just so you can experiment on some shapes for the camo.

B