Cluster question...

Toby

Took the bulbs out of a bad cluster in a pathfinder today...

I noticed the ones by the major things (speedo, tach, fuel, etc.) had like a blue rubber on top of them... What are these all about? To give it a different glow?

and would it hurt to remove them? possibly make my dash lights appear whiter?

You just answered your own question :aok: Did that with my old HB, they had the blue rubber 'cover'. Replaced them all with normal 194 bulbs since I was too lazy to peal them off the bulbs. My clino had them too when it first arrived. Could bairy see it at night before switching them out.

You just answered your own question :aok: Did that with my old HB, they had the blue rubber 'cover'. Replaced them all with normal 194 bulbs since I was too lazy to peal them off the bulbs. My clino had them too when it first arrived. Could bairy see it at night before switching them out.

I wanted to double check. I figured it was just a color filter. But I didn't know if it was to keep the cluster internals from getting too hot. My camaro had LED lights in the gauge cluster. Turned out really good. I might try and get the stuff to convert the cluster lights to LED. But I hate that greenish/blue glow most clusters have. When I get time I'll peel off the filters from mine.

I also found a speed sensor from Advanced Auto Parts for less than half of what Nissan was charging me. Looks like my truck may be on the road in no time.

I figured it was just a color filter. But I didn't know if it was to keep the cluster internals from getting too hot.

These blue rubber caps are only color filters, nothing else. Do not worry about cluster overheat until you use bulbs with the same total power.

Very innovative! I have a cluster out of a parts truck that has a bad tach...I should try that to see what colors would suit best! Thanks Nunya!

I was briefly a ricer and I was too cheap to buy colored bulbs. I had lots of different color model spray paints so I would have blue reverse lights for a couple days, then red, then purple(heck it's how I made my solid red taillights I have now-well not installed right now). Had endles supplies of clear bulbs. Realized I was goeing too far when I painted a pair of bulbs for front turn signals orange...duh.

• 2 weeks later...