What do I need to adjust to solve this problem?

v6engine

I took a turn too fast on a dirt road some months ago. The right tire landed on a

15" ditch. The steering wheel was off center afterwards and I fixed that. I just want

to learn how to do my own alignment. Both tires have the same symptom.

Simply put: What do I need to adjust to solve this problem? (How to pictures would help)

DSCN5798.jpg

Well, how?

My rig is a 2x4. I don't think I have ball joints up front.

Yes you have ball joints...They are a part of all independent front suspensions.

The camber is adjusted with shims like nunya said.

017-1.jpg

See the bolt to the righ tof the shock on the contorl arm cross bar(correct term?)? Theres one on each side of it actually. Shim between the bar and the frame. :aok:

:edit: change pic to make bolt more obvious

Edited by nunya

Depends, your tires sitting like this? I-I You good, /-I or \-I Fix the leaner, /-/ /-\ \-/ \-\ do both sides (hope you understand what I'm trying to point out). But you said both sides have the same symptoms so I am guessing you mean they are both worn the same. If so then both sides need adjustment.

if he cranks the TB's won't that help adjust some of the camber issues? b/c I know with cranked Tbars you do a lil \-/

Ahh.. the benefits fo an open forum, someone will generally chime in with good forgotten info. Thank you uncc :beer:

from the pic to me it looked like there may be some sag in the Tbars and if the issue was on both sides so it could very well be a combination of toe and camber

IE cranking the T bars gives you negative camber and eventually affects toe b/c the TRE's start to sag/bend (I think making it toe in) so without looking at the truck it could be a simple camber issue or toe issue but I didnt see how old the tires are and know that I wore my old tires on the outside from a t bar crank...it was probably maybe at a 20% higher rate on the outside than the inside and my toe is was good but i need to check it b/c i noticed the other day my TRE's are starting to bend

Edited by unccpathfinder

from the pic to me it looked like there may be some sag in the Tbars and if the issue was on both sides so it could very well be a combination of toe and camber

IE cranking the T bars gives you negative camber and eventually affects toe b/c the TRE's start to sag/bend (I think making it toe in) so without looking at the truck it could be a simple camber issue or toe issue but I didnt see how old the tires are and know that I wore my old tires on the outside from a t bar crank...it was probably maybe at a 20% higher rate on the outside than the inside and my toe is was good but i need to check it b/c i noticed the other day my TRE's are starting to bend

Unc,

what are you reffering to when mentioning TRE's? I am having this issue but not very bad.

Cranking them up will make the / \ worse.

no GG you got it backwards, as you crank them , the arms swing down in their range of motion, effectively making the camber off, making the tires like this \\ //

I'm waiting for the weekend to fix the problem but I see by reading the postings that there is no consensus on a solution.

A few questions about the terms used in the postings:

did you check the TREs, BJs, and CL?

I guess BJ stands for ball joint. TRE probably tension rod ??. What's a CL

where do you guys see need for camber adjustment? it's all toe here.

If it's a toe, can you provide a solution to fix it? (I'll look up what's a definition of toe on my own)

I'm familiar about engines, diffs, brakes but never mess with suspension aside from putting new shocks. Which is

relatively a simple job in this truck.