Air horn extravaganza

Kingman

I picked up an air horn from my buddy yesterday for $15. It came right off a Freightliner semi truck and runs on 35-125 psi, and by God it's functional. :lol:

Now my question is how can I hook up a control for it? I know I need an air tank and the only place I can mount it is on my roof. For anyone who's taken the headliner out, how much room is there between the sheet metal and the headliner? Would there be a way to run an air line to the horn between there? I think I've seen 90 degree air hose fittings that maybe I could just screw into the bottom of the horn and have the air line run from that, instead of just the air line and having to bend the line to make the angle.

I'd also like to have it be an electronic control so I can just mount a switch in my center console or lower dashboard. Any ideas?

IMG00815-20090913-1246.jpg

IMG00816-20090913-1246.jpg

IMG00819-20090913-1247.jpg

IMG00817-20090913-1246.jpg

IMG00818-20090913-1246.jpg

Oh man, I love those things. I could never figure out where to put them but your roof pic just gave me an idea. :lol:

Can't tell from the pic but is there any way to fender mount it ? Wouldn't have to worry about ripping it off on the trail or in an underground garage or something.

That is AWESOME!!! Imagine blowing that at an old lady/man on the highway! It would scare the hell outa them! If you had a safari rack, you could mount it to the side of it, like below a shovel or high-boy...

on the note of electronic usage-

You could try a electric solenoid actuator, I think this would do what you need as long as you can get one for your needs via ebay...and just wire that to a toggle switch and have it running in the line in between the tank and the horn. On another note, you would probably want what is called a momentary switch instead of say a toggle switch so you can bump it and not have to worry about leaving it on or something....heres one from radioshack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...tab=custRatings

If your looking for a cheap tank, wallymart sells 30 dollar 7 gallon air tanks that have served my needs wonderfully!

Edited by OldSlowReliable

on the note of electronic usage-

You could try a electric solenoid actuator, I think this would do what you need as long as you can get one for your needs via ebay...and just wire that to a toggle switch and have it running in the line in between the tank and the horn. On another note, you would probably want what is called a momentary switch instead of say a toggle switch so you can bump it and not have to worry about leaving it on or something....heres one from radioshack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...tab=custRatings

If your looking for a cheap tank, wallymart sells 30 dollar 7 gallon air tanks that have served my needs wonderfully!

Definitely worth looking into. I'm still looking around for an electronically actuated air valve that I can trigger with the button. My buddy that I bought this from, his old Yota SR5 had a small air horn hooked up under the hood that actually had a small compressor and tank built in! It was nuts, and the best part was the switch was his AC switch. He had enough room under the hood because he had the 22RE instead of the V6. It was like that when he bought it though so he wasn't much help when it came to figuring out how it worked...

I was just thinking of, for now, filling the tank at a gas station whenever it got low. I can't imagine I'd be blasting the horn too much... :shiftyeyes:

Edited by Kingman

IMO the best option would be to have an auxillary horn button that is hooked up to the air horn. That way you can use your regular horn normally, but when someone really does something stupid you can blast them away with the air horn.

Ok, here is what I have done for my air horns. Yes I have two of them, under the bonnet.

Here is the tank set up. it is a 6l tank from a baby compressor. I had to widen the inner bracket for the tyre carrier to fit it in there.

Under the tank is a water drain and on the top is a snap-on connector. The hose runs under the body, tied to the fuel lines along the chassis rail and into the engine bay area.

IMG_8566.jpg

IMG_8565.jpg

In the front is another snap-on connector near the grille. There is a 12v air solenoid valve hooked to the horn switch. This is with a 2 way switch so I can switch between the electric or air horns. This switch is located on the under side of the steering wheel surround. I have the front section all plumed up ready for a Sanden 508 air con compressor to power the system. This will be located between the factory air con and alternator. Mine is a TD27 diesel motor. I just have to make the brackets for the modified air con compressors so in the mean time I charge the system with my workshop air supply.

The two horns are just like yours and are strapped (cable tied) beside my air filter. I have a roof rack to mount at some stage and will look at putting the horns up there one day.

No pictures of the front setup yet sorry.

IMGP2514.jpg

These pumps just need the oil drained from the sump and high temp grease inserted via a grease nipple on the bung.

Here is a diagram that I have followed in my set-up.

onboardairdiagram.gif

I am not using the oiler or oil separator in my setup.

There is about 1/2"-3/4" space above the headliner. There are no cross supports on the front part, just at the windsheild and at the B pillar (dome light area). So, you might want to glue in a piece of wood under the roof for some added rigidity when you mount it.

Here is a picture of my 88 with the liner out (I added the insulation in there, not stock):

Roofinsul.jpg

For the Laughs sake I think to get this would be Hilarious!

Nathan Airchime K5LA Train Horn

sn0809_industry_top_07.jpg

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">