Thorley Headers

Precise1

PSA

I just ordered through Rocky Road outfitters and had Steve the sales rep call Thorley to see how long of a wait it would be. Answer is "they have a few in stock"!! :aok:

They will show up at my door for $400...

Often one has to wait extended periods of time until another run of headers is made, so if you want some soon, better buy them up before the 'few' are gone. Oh, these are the nickel-chrome coated units.

B

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess if its worth it

i could do a magnaflow cat and muffler but idk if that will pass the state inspection

does the stock cat and muffler suck that bad too?!

i am only trying to make right what the factory could not

Edited by Tungsten

o ok i went there before but i didnt scroll down enough to get to the headers part i just saw pathfinder and clicked on that and didnt see the headers part and figured it was the wrong page

i could do a magnaflow cat and muffler but idk if that will pass the state inspection

I'm in NorCal and I can't imagine your inspection/smog laws are tougher than here. I will install the Thorley headers, Magnaflow hi-flow cat (state legal specific) and a magnaflow muffler. All legal and with a new O2 sensor, I can't imagine I'll have any trouble with smog...

B

My credit card was charged today so I assume they have shipped those bad boys. Get em while they're still there peeps!

Oh and my manifold is just about to explode. :skull:

Edited by Tungsten

I have searched but could not readily find the stud thread and length for the exhaust manifolds. I'll keep looking, but if someone knows, I'd appreciate it.

There is no way in hell I'll pay the $80-120 I've seen from others for studs, washers and nuts. That is farking insane for fasteners. I got 20 10.9 grade M6x35mm socket head cap screws for aprox $4 for my manual hubs and now I'll pay something like $15 for the right cap screws and lock washers, once I know the correct size... ;)

That said, the same place set me up with the 2 grade 8 1/2-13x6" bolts, nuts and washers (used in the rear for a body lift) for $12 or so. I have a good source of hardware locally...

B

i dont remember the length etc either. its somewhere in my truck-notes, hehe. I ended up getting locking header bolts (have an alan head locking mechanism in them). Ordered from Jegs, they were the same size as some chevy engine head bolts.

Were about 60 bucks for the set. Somehow they sent me 2 pairs, have to see where i put the other one and I'll put up the pertinant info.

vg30 studs are M8x1.0 IIRC.

and I think vg33 studs are m10x1

I do know for a FACT that my friends chevy LS1 bolts are the same diameter and pitch(I used a few). I have a few extra and maybe tomorrow if I remember I will count the pitch to be sure.

The bolts that came with my Thorleys are grade 10.8 and 30mm in length. I know this because my truck is still torn apart awaiting some power steering lines from some guy in Cali :D

DOH!! Gimme the address of the guy, I'll have a word with him...

It's been raining all week, we got hit by a Japanese typhoon!! I know... I won't start on the headers until I have the lines pulled and a few other parts for people.

Bolts that came with the Thorleys?? *goes to look through box again*

Ok, that's the length and grade but what is the pitch??

Thanks My1path, but wait until I look to see if they were included... :blush02:

B

Well, it is a nice change and we certainly need it, but it ended the growing season a little early and I'm not near done with all the outside/vehicle stuff I had wanted to get done.

Yay, we go from fires and drought to floods and landslides in 1 week!! :D

Thanks for the thread pitch info.

B

I did get bolts with the headers as well but I think those bolts are just to connect the pipes together. I got a set of 300zx turbo studs from the dealer today, cost about $115, I would rather have the studs.

Yes, the bolts are for flange connections, not manifold mounts.

I got a set of 300zx turbo studs from the dealer today, cost about $115, I would rather have the studs.

Ok, but why??

B

I got the 300zx turbo studs too but they were only 90 bucks and why... well because I didn't ask here first when I did my thorleys years ago.

so this way I knew I had the right size.

Edited by MY1PATH

I'm going to be installing Pacesetters soon (I have them, just need to install them) and I'll be going with studs. The only reason for that is for ease of installation. You can slide the headers in place on the studs, to keep them centered, then throw the washers and nuts on. Easier than fiddling with bolts, especially with the motor in the truck.

If I had the motor out, I'd save my money, and just buy bolts.

Fair enough...

Yes, being able to hand the header/gasket on studs should be easier, but I don't see that it should be that hard. I'll definitely share my experiences... It doesn't look like I'll get started until next week though, too much going on this weekend.

B