Thorley Headers

Precise1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, I read somewhere that the Pace Setter paint is only on there to protect the metal during storage and shipping, like cosmoline... :D

Simon, do you want to post some pictures of your headers here or elsewhere? Then we have a comparison/examples of the units on very similar trucks (1995, body lifts and auto tranny). :shrug:

B

I'll post them up here, along with a vid.. Gotta wait for daylight.

Got a name brand on that paint? Mine have been bare for almost 2 years now, lol.

I have heard alot good about VHT and buddy of mine used it on his block and headders. Its not running yet but "it worked great last time" I'll have to see it when he's done.

I would almost hazard a guess that the only reason the R50 isn't listed as an applications on the various header sites is simply that the factory exhaust will not bolt up to the headers,

My other friend ran a motorsports shop; he said allot of headers don't get a 50 state carb or even a fitment rating on all possible vehciles becuase they move the stock location of the cats. Kind of a lame rule but then again he said emissions is the biggest enemy (with all their stupid rules)of a LEGIT leagal sreet driven muscle car in most areas.

One of my bigger concerns is still passing emissions.. I know I can modify and re-weld the headers and completely build a custom exhaust. I intend on putting 2 highflow cats for each side, but if I fail emissions after all is said and done, I'm FUBAR'ED.

One of my bigger concerns is still passing emissions.. I know I can modify and re-weld the headers and completely build a custom exhaust. I intend on putting 2 highflow cats for each side, but if I fail emissions after all is said and done, I'm FUBAR'ED.

I think you'll be ok.

carsound (magnaflow) replacement cats have been known to do as well or better-than stock cats for emissions tests. I doubt the headers on a pathy will be big enough to create a poor emisons condition unless somthing else is wrong with the rig.

My buddy z28 on the other hand, with his 2"primaries coming off of each cyl for his headders will prolly have some emissions issues no-matter how many cats he has lol.

Well, I made the appointment to have my muffler changed to a Flowmaster 60 series Delta Flow. This one is specified for smaller 4cyl and 6cyl engines.

I didn't find this video until after the arrangements. Tell me it is just the Miata that makes it sound like that!!

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?cat=1

Should I make it a 50 series Delta Flow?? (second doubts)

I am more interested in performance than noise (less is better) and a deeper sound rather than fart can for what noise there is. I'm thinking the v6 should make a different pitch??

The current Magnaflow I have installed is fine on the low end, but mid to upper rpm is very loud and has a medium (sound that m, make it resonant and that's the tone) pitch. I think I need a little more back pressure too, there is a slight hesitation.

I really dislike it and it has to go but think I may have been to conservative with choosing the new one.

Help me out with your experiences please. I'll have to make a call first thing in the morning...

B

I'd assume the Miata sounds like that due to the small 4 banger. Mine's got a nice rumble down low, and a little bit of growl at higher RPM. On the highway, cruising, I can't hear it over the MT's. Once I get my winter buns on, I'll report back.

Couldn't you just register your truck in the system then put another truck (preferably r50) on the machine? :shiftyeyes::ph33r:

Edited by adamzan

Mine's a "Solo" hi flow model, stainless steel. I went to a local exhaust shop, said I like the sound of magnaflow, and flowmaster, in their models with a lower tone. I specifically said I DID NOT want it to sound ricey. This is what I got, and I'm happy with it.

That said, it WAS a little ricey at higher RPMS before I did the headers. I guess the leaky manifolds changed the tone quite a bit. :shrug:

I'll have to get a vid with the sound of the thing so you can have a listen.

Ok, so the Flowmaster 60 series Delta Flow (what a mouthful for a muffler) is installed and sounds/responds better. It still has a rumble at idle and low rpm and the revs get higher pitched, but not nearly as loud or high as before and are a little choppy without the resonant drone effect. The initial hesitation is gone but I haven't been able to really get a feel for it yet. Still, the baffled muffler design seems to work better and sound better than the Magnaflow through design with my particular set up. :shrug:

I'll update after some miles...

B