Torsion Bar relocation?

Soccerstudd5

Well, I bought my pathy with the TM lift and as most know, includes a torsion bar drop down bracket to help keep the stock alignment angles. Well, I was out wheeling today and one of my friends has a yota with torsion bars that mount to the UCA. I was wondering if it would be possible to get some yota UCA's and change the torsion bars to attach to the new UCA's and get rid of the drop down bracket and gain more center clearance. :shrug:

I don't know a whole lot about IFS, so I dunno what this could mess up, but it seemes like a reasonable solution to gain more center clearance, assuming it won't mess up everything. Let me know your thoughts.... :popcorn:

It would be amazing if you could do it. thats one of the biggest reasond I stayed away from TM.

But if you can figure out a way...

no clue where to start and I'm guessing there may not be room because I think the yota uca may sit lower in compare to the body.

...that would be awesome.

or maybe a way to run the ajuster @ stock location while the front anchors stay dropped to @ least gain 1/2 the clearance.

that may be possible with a BL and a lot of custom parts...I can't think really clearly right now but see there may be an issue with the load transfers and the UCA would need to become a lot more rock solid...it'd be interesting to see a side by side of the toyota setup vs the nissan setup...I think other options like coil overs or a SAS are just as sound...

that being said...I know you loose "ground clearance" with the TM lift but I havent actually examined it on a truck to see if where it drops the Tbars if it's actually that big of a disadvantage or not and what impacts it could have on approach and departure angles

that may be possible with a BL and a lot of custom parts...I can't think really clearly right now but see there may be an issue with the load transfers and the UCA would need to become a lot more rock solid...it'd be interesting to see a side by side of the toyota setup vs the nissan setup...I think other options like coil overs or a SAS are just as sound...

that being said...I know you loose "ground clearance" with the TM lift but I havent actually examined it on a truck to see if where it drops the Tbars if it's actually that big of a disadvantage or not and what impacts it could have on approach and departure angles

I'll try to get some pictures of the yota setup and I think I have pictures of mine in the pics and vids section.

The problem with the tbars is that it drops them 3" in the back from the stock location so you have a huge problem with being more apt to getting high centered.

You can see the drop on these pictures.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

I took it out yesterday for the first time and 30 minutes in my alternator went out so I hadn't had a chance to get into anything major yet. .

wow that does drop them down quite a ways...that may not be so bad if you could make a new torsion bar that is about 2' long instead of 4'-5' so it could be tucked up a little closer to the front wheels and reducing a high center issue but I think the diameter would be significantly larger

wow that does drop them down quite a ways...that may not be so bad if you could make a new torsion bar that is about 2' long instead of 4'-5' so it could be tucked up a little closer to the front wheels and reducing a high center issue but I think the diameter would be significantly larger

you mean smaller,

shorter spring= stiffer rate; a 2ft t-bar with same diameter as stock would be a back breaker.

what if you used just TM knuckle drop and had some high angle CV made to keep from binding.

ps don't say these things on N4W you'll just get "SAS" as your answer from everyone. LOL

even better, there is a writeup on Pirate that a guy used coil overs instead of the torsion bars.

less custom fab that changing the torsion bar location.

Coilovers on a WD21 would be awesome!

Now that's the best idea I've heard all day. :aok:

even better, there is a writeup on Pirate that a guy used coil overs instead of the torsion bars.

less custom fab that changing the torsion bar location.

Could you post that link? That sounds like it could be easier. I'll try and get pics tomorrow... I'm going to be really busy today.

Coilovers on a WD21 would be awesome!

Now that's the best idea I've heard all day. :aok:

see my 1st post :new576:

I thought this was already done previously by someone...or maybe they did coilovers on a SAS rig...I know i've seen pix of coilovers on a WD but just don't remember where...

EDIT:

Now I remember its SteeevO's SAS that has coilovers...

http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/blog/2008/12...xle-conversion/

Edited by unccpathfinder

A kid named Bach did a custom coil-over setup. The mounts didn't look the greatest, but I never heard of any failures. He tore it off and went SAS pretty quickly after he made that setup, and sold it. So who knows if it was realy worth a damn or not.

If you don't care if you have them sticking through the hood, mounting them off the UCA shouldn't be too hard. The issue with running them to the LCA is there is no room to fit them really.

A kid named Bach did a custom coil-over setup. The mounts didn't look the greatest, but I never heard of any failures. He tore it off and went SAS pretty quickly after he made that setup, and sold it. So who knows if it was realy worth a damn or not.

If you don't care if you have them sticking through the hood, mounting them off the UCA shouldn't be too hard. The issue with running them to the LCA is there is no room to fit them really.

I'm a bit of a novice on this, so I'm going to see if I'm understanding right. I could get rid of the torsion bars and get coilover front shocks mounted on my UCA's, but I'll need somewhere fairly high to mount them, right? And this should work fine?

I'm a bit of a novice on this, so I'm going to see if I'm understanding right. I could get rid of the torsion bars and get coilover front shocks mounted on my UCA's, but I'll need somewhere fairly high to mount them, right? And this should work fine?

see linky

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579364

His lower mounts were wrong, causing the bending.

there is another link someplace,,, i looked and looked and looked but couldn't find it.

you could do this, its not rocket science.

see linky

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579364

His lower mounts were wrong, causing the bending.

there is another link someplace,,, i looked and looked and looked but couldn't find it.

you could do this, its not rocket science.

So his problem was that with the coilovers on the LCA, anytime he flexed out his front suspension, the UCA would bend the shock? Thus your suggestion of putting it on the UCA, so that nothing like that would happen.

With a 3" BL and the TM SL, it shouldn't be too big of a deal to put some mounts high enough without essentially hitting the hood, would it?

The concept seems easy enough, but I don't want to miss something simple and screw everything up like he did. :hide:

maybe make a coilover that runs diagonally inward & upward with the bottom having a plate that is mounted thru the BJ holes. then all your lift force is going straight to the knuckel(thru the bJ) so there's less stress on the LCA.