Nissan/Datsun Z series

ajracerfan

so for my next car, i'm trying to stay in the nissan ballpark. i've been looking at the 240z, 260z, and 280z. though i hear the 260 is not a good buy. now i have been looking into this and cant find an mechanical reason why. does anyone know why?

so for my next car, i'm trying to stay in the nissan ballpark. i've been looking at the 240z, 260z, and 280z. though i hear the 260 is not a good buy. now i have been looking into this and cant find an mechanical reason why. does anyone know why?

Just get a 350 :)

The 240 Has my favorite body style but really the creme of the crop is the 280z same style straight 6 as the others but in additon to being the largest engine its also fuel injected. Lots of working room on those Datsun Z cars and upgrades are still available here and there.

Now since you also said nissan Z-car While keeping it vintage(no new crap) let me put into your mind the 300zx either the z31 or the z32 turbo's are already considered qick by some but Imgine sapping the block for a 3.3 (ez swap, same block) You would then have 10% more displacement and your compressionratio will have gone from 8.5:1 to 9:1 the total gain in both HP & Torqe with a simple tune would be @ least 15%. Now it really is quick and you still haven't done all the other mods to it.

If your hoping to put kids in the back or want a 4 seat coupe then "2+2" should be incluede in your search terms ex; "Nissan 300zx turbo 2+2"

The bodies are almost identical from 1970 to 1978. Little things changed like turn signals and bumpers. They got heavier as they got newer. There is nothing wrong with the 260Z...except the carbs. They sucked. You could get a 260 and bolt early 240 carbs on to solve the problems they have. The early 260z had the nice small chrome bumpers, like the 240s. Half way through 74 (260Z) they changed to the 5mph bumpers which were big, ugly, and heavy. Luckily, you can put the early bumpers on the later cars (74-78).

Yeah, the 70s models were the best ever. I do like the 370z, but could take or leave anything from the 280zx-350z grouping, I think tey were all ugly and over sized body wise.

BTW, talk about some funky seats, the 2+2s in the 70s had these little "butt bowls" in the seat bottoms.

yeah the body styles are really similar. i'm most partial to the 280z. not the ZX, though. incidentally, the ZX was the first Z car that was fuel injected, and a V6 and not a straight-6. up until '78 they were all triple barrel carburator. but oh so amazing. ebay motors has a plethora of them.

yeah the body styles are really similar. i'm most partial to the 280z. not the ZX, though. incidentally, the ZX was the first Z car that was fuel injected, and a V6 and not a straight-6. up until '78 they were all triple barrel carburator. but oh so amazing. ebay motors has a plethora of them.

I actually have a book here called "How to Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine" (Nissan Part # 99996-M8012) just waiting for the day I do get an old Z.

"For the 280z, engine size was again increased, this time to 2.8 L, by enlarging the bore of the L26 engine to create the L28, and a reliable Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection system was added.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/280Z

To top that off I've also had a very close look @ the EFI L28E engine as I was considering buying it.

Hey man I have a prety good insite on this seeing i own one or one of my freinds own one. My freind has a 82 280zx turbo and its pretty damn fast for its age and weight 2800 lbs? i think. It able to beat a 240sx with a sr20det swap done to it. I have a 86 300zx na! I love the car but the motor is starting to go which is ok because i wanted to do a vg30et swap in it. The 240sx is ok i dont really like them as much but they are more common and cheaper. They are a litte slow. my 300zx can beat a regular ka 240sx kinda easy. But a 240sx with a sr20 (motor is not in the us you will need to import it) would woop me unless i had the 300zx turbo (is in the us and easy to find) one lol. I wouldnt get a 240sx unless you plan to do the sr20det swap or money is a problem. i personally like the 240z,280zx, and both the 300zx. I like the z31 turbos the most though. you can get cheap 300zx for like 2k or less that could use a little help but not much. I also like the 300zx becasue it has the same motor as my pathy so its easy to touble shoot because i have 2 motors the exact same. The older "z" cars are expensive and normally rotted out unless you pay big $

the 260z is the slowest one of the z i think. its slower then the 240 becasue it was heavier and the 280 was more like the 260 but with a bigger motor so it was a little faster. If you want s simple car to work on then go with them but personall like the zx more (280zx,z31 300zx, z32 300zx)

Edited by edicer2

Hell look on ebay,these usally 70s z-cars for sale in cali for 2kish with 350s in them.

I kinda like the 260...A kid at my school had one...a buddy rebuilt the top end of the engine and we took it for a ride.4-speed tranny,header and I think 3 carbs,it wound out really good and sounded cool

I love Zcars. I started with a stock 77 280. It was fun. Now my baby is early 260 with a 383 SBC, 700r4 tranny. It's a blast.

240 260 280 are S30 models, My favorites. Early 260s is basically a 240, the later ones are 280s. If your a purest. go to Zcar.com. If you want a rocket, go to HybridZ.org

HybridZ also as some good information on nissan V6s

Randy

Edited by GLSHLE

1990-96 300ZX Twin Turbo FTW :aok:

Gorgeous cars, wicked fast, 4-wheel Super HICAS steering, cockpit-adjustable adjustable shocks, 4-piston front calipers, 300 hp... *drool*

http://www.modified.com/features/0306scc_n...urbo/index.html

Pain to work on cause of the tight fit, but dang they are hot cars even after all these years...

Just my $0.02.

240Z FTW!!! I don't know if anyone's ever heard of Wangan Midnight, but the S30 Fairlady in that game is incredible. :aok:

That old school Japanese highway monster look is just wicked. Just like this:

286yamaokakazuhiro-img600x450-10430.jpg

カッコよく、こんな軽い車で絶対に早く行けるって最高だゼー!:lol:

240Z FTW!!! I don't know if anyone's ever heard of Wangan Midnight, but the S30 Fairlady in that game is incredible. :aok:

That old school Japanese highway monster look is just wicked. Just like this:

286yamaokakazuhiro-img600x450-10430.jpg

カッコよく、こんな軽い車で絶対に早く行けるって最高だゼー!:lol:

Sorry, Ty, I have to disagree on this one. That looks like a frog crossed with a fish. And those side mirrors look like warts.

UGH.

Sorry, Ty, I have to disagree on this one. That looks like a frog crossed with a fish. And those side mirrors look like warts.

UGH.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. :D

To me, that's just vintage JDM at its finest. Just like these Hakosukas from the '70s. :aok:

hakosuka-06.jpg

hakosuka-07.jpg

And for the record, toads have warts. :lol: