Automatic transmission information for a 94 pathfinder LE

Hey guys I am new to pathfinders and this forum. I've been looking around for a transmission and I am not sure what years part fit. I've checked ebay and found one auction that said 90-95. Is that true? Are there other vehicles like the pickup or infinity trans that will work? I just got this 94 pathfinder and it has a bad trans and I got it for $450. Everything else is in very excellent condition. I've found three trans at the local wrecking yard. I've found a 90,91, and 93. Will those fit? Also, should I install a after market trans cooler during this installation or can I wait?

Hey guys I am new to pathfinders and this forum. I've been looking around for a transmission and I am not sure what years part fit. I've checked ebay and found one auction that said 90-95. Is that true? Are there other vehicles like the pickup or infinity trans that will work? I just got this 94 pathfinder and it has a bad trans and I got it for $450. Everything else is in very excellent condition. I've found three trans at the local wrecking yard. I've found a 90,91, and 93. Will those fit? Also, should I install a after market trans cooler during this installation or can I wait?

Yea those should work fine, IIRC. Make sure to take the pan off of them and change out the filter and possibly even have a trans shop flush them out. Even better yet, rebuild, but that is money. I would always recommend a trans cooler, I haven't got one on mine yet, but seeing as where the heat guage sits at on 100 degree days, yea I am going to get one. You can never go wrong with an aftermarket cooler...cooler temps mean longer trans life. Now as for the trannies, do they have the same features on the vehicle as yours...I.E. I know mine has a power button, and probably wouldn't put anything but that feature back in so that it is functional, don't know if it works that way or not, haven't really researched other auto's. Somebody on here will probably chime in. If you have any real questions, Precise, UNCCPathfinder, or 88Pathoffroad are some great guys, there are plenty more, sorry for not listin ya, I just went off top of my head, and they have answered a lot of questions I have had. They are great, so is everyone on here. So, as that is said, search it up, I am sure someone has asked this somewhere. And Welcome by the way! :beer:

Thank for the information. I've had a hell of a time find information for the pathfinder. I'am glad that I found this forum. I think since I can get a used junk yard tranny for $60 I'll buy that one to get my rig up and running and then rebuild the current one. I've never re built a tranny before, maybe this is the time to give it a shot. I'll search this forum to see if there is a write up on how to do that. I'd love to put a shift kit in it. I got one in my corvette and I love it.

there is no write up because transmission rebuilding is definitely umpteen times more involved the rebuilding an engine.

auto trannies came in a couple different species. i don't recall the year they changed from a 3sp to one with OD but sometime in the early 90s would be my guess. also, if you have a 4x4 don't get a tranny from a 4x2

the tranny shifting points (power button) are all controlled by the TCU. yes, it has it's own computer.

i don't recall exactly but there may be numbers for your tranny type on the door jamb decal or stamped on the tranny itself.

as to external cooler.. MANDATORY or you'll get really good at swapping those b.tches in and out. :D :D

but if you are going to all this hassle anyway, why not throw in a 5sp in there.. i love mine way better then i ever liked the autotragic one. (2 different vehicles)

1986.5-1987 - 3 speed transmission without overdrive

1988-1995+ - 4 speed transmission with overdrive

Manual optional on all years

I still don't get why they're referred to as autotragic and what not, they are a good strong transmission, used in many different vehicles and in Pathfinders for at least 12 years. It's only the coolers that ruin them.

The 94 pathy (2wd or 4wd) use the RE4R01A auto transmission. If you specify your vehicle (truck vs pathy, ka24E vs vg30e, 2wd vs 4wd) they should get you the right one.

there are a few places online that will sell you a fully rebuilt tranny like ours for under $800. It's a hundred or so to ship but there is usually a 12 to 18 month warrenty on it. At a boneyard, you never know what you are getting if you just pluck it yourself. You're call but just wanted to let you know what I found whilelooking for a solution to my problem

The shift kit is a cool idea but it involves a near-complete teardown and rebuild. I have one sitting on a shelf...thought I could install it myself, then I got into the instructions. There are a TON of parts to replace, re-seal and take apart. If you've done work on the internals of an automatic before and you have the tools, space, time and patience, go for it.

there are a few places online that will sell you a fully rebuilt tranny like ours for under $800. It's a hundred or so to ship but there is usually a 12 to 18 month warrenty on it. At a boneyard, you never know what you are getting if you just pluck it yourself. You're call but just wanted to let you know what I found whilelooking for a solution to my problem

Exactly this. The auto wreckers may supply a good tranny, or not. It really depends on your time, $, place to work, how soon you need/want the truck running, etc... :shrug:

B

• 2 weeks later...
The 94 pathy (2wd or 4wd) use the RE4R01A auto transmission. If you specify your vehicle (truck vs pathy, ka24E vs vg30e, 2wd vs 4wd) they should get you the right one.

My pathfinder is a 4wd automatic trans. Its a VG30e I believe.

I've called up a place around here called foreign engines. I've used them before in the past for those JDM (30k to 50k) motors for my hondas. They can send me a complete trans, torque converter, and transfer case for $450 delivered. I think I'll go that route unless someone here has a bad experiences with those JDM trans. I figure I'll do a trans flush and replace the ATF and install a trans cooler. Any other suggestion or advice for the install/removal? I've already DL the FSM and printed out the trans removal and installation guide along with the referals.

1986.5-1987 - 3 speed transmission without overdrive

1988-1995+ - 4 speed transmission with overdrive

Manual optional on all years

I still don't get why they're referred to as autotragic and what not, they are a good strong transmission, used in many different vehicles and in Pathfinders for at least 12 years. It's only the coolers that ruin them.

my 89 had the 3 speed, for sure.. i think they changed them in '90.

as to autotragic... without cooler mod they go kaboom around 100k mi or so.

My pathfinder is a 4wd automatic trans. Its a VG30e I believe.

I've called up a place around here called foreign engines. I've used them before in the past for those JDM (30k to 50k) motors for my hondas. They can send me a complete trans, torque converter, and transfer case for $450 delivered. I think I'll go that route unless someone here has a bad experiences with those JDM trans. I figure I'll do a trans flush and replace the ATF and install a trans cooler. Any other suggestion or advice for the install/removal? I've already DL the FSM and printed out the trans removal and installation guide along with the referals.

don't forget the 2 bolts on top of the bell housing. :)

They can send me a complete trans, torque converter, and transfer case for $450 delivered. I think I'll go that route unless someone here has a bad experiences with those JDM trans. I figure I'll do a trans flush and replace the ATF and install a trans cooler.

That's a pretty good price, how about you share the contact information and location of them?

Yes on the flush and tranny cooler (make sure to clean the pan and screen)!!

IIRC there is an access plate and/or the starter hole that is used to get to the TC bolts that has stumped a few people. I haven't done that work myself so I can't go into detail.

A search should bring it up...

B

Fortuantely, I have a very good relationship with my mechanic. There are months where I work so much that if I have car problems I drop my cars off (corvette, civic) and have him do the work. Other times I order big parts through him and I get his rate :) But, if you dont have that hook up the cost was $600 + tax with free local delivery. I've bought a motor from them and my friend who is a honda cert tech has bought many motors from them with out any problems. The place is called Foreign Engines out of Lynnwood, Wa here is there web site http://www.foreignengines.com/

• 7 years later...

I bought a 1995 Pathy with no reverse in auto tranny. The car is in excellent shape otherwise. I found a 1998 Pathy with very low mileage for $200 and auto trans. Will this trans work in the 95'. It would great as opposed to rebuilding the one I have. Thanks

I have got a question regarding the tranny for a 95 XE AT 4x4 I had a few different auto yards all tell me the same thing here which they said was the case just for the 95's. They had told me that I depending on what the build date was on mine made the difference to which RE4901A I would be able to use. Was told by all of them if it was built before September of 1994 it had to be used from anything after July & if was built in July of 1994 It had to be used from one built before then. When I was looking into this at the time I had 2 95 XE 3. AT 4x4's where one was built in July & other was built in September of 1994 so not sure if that was where they got those dates from or not. However when they looked up in the system which one would be compatible to pull from that was the answer each of these places gave me & said it was only like that for the 1995's.

Has anyone else ever heard of this before ? I know this was the first time that I had heard this & thought maybe it was just where I had asked the first time but then after a couple of the other places all told me the same thing it had me wondering if this really was the case on this. If so makes it a bit tougher to try to locate one down if it has to come from a specific build date on these 1995's. Especially when from everything I have heard & read it sounds like these transmission can be a pain to rebuild although it can be done. One more this as well is does it have to come from a 4x4 or can it also come from a 4x2 & is there anything special that needs to be done if it is & can be done with one from a 4x2> Thanks!

Edited by Macrow

It should not matter but later is generally better as it's newer. I think maybe the torque converter changed slightly. You won't know the difference.

If you have a 4wd then look at 4wd. The 2wd pathy version has a taller first gear. Not something you want on a 4x4 especially the pathfinder. Also the 2wd has one less clutch plate and steel than the 4wd.

To convert the 2wd to 4wd. You have to remove the tail housing, open up the transmission and to remove the snap ring that holds the output shaft in and slide the long shaft out and swap it out with your short shaft. Unless you really don't care and don't mind the differences. It'll work. You'll need to swap you're wire harness over.

• Like 1

To convert the 2wd to 4wd. You have to remove the tail housing, open up the transmission and to remove the snap ring that holds the output shaft in and slide the long shaft out and swap it out with your short shaft. Unless you really don't care and don't mind the differences. It'll work. You'll need to swap you're wire harness over.

Awesome thank you that is all good information I had thought that the year shouldn't had made a difference from everything I have read & saw about it. Just made me think for a bit though after few different Auto yards told me the same thing. Looks like I will stick to the 4x4 one then since I am one who frequently uses my 4wd if I am not working or at home working on my 95 XE you usually will find me out in the mountains somewhere searching for unexplored trails I have yet to go on it's my home away from home I guess you could call it. Thanks again for the info @Cuong Nguyen

I have got a question regarding the tranny for a 95 XE AT 4x4 I had a few different auto yards all tell me the same thing here which they said was the case just for the 95's. They had told me that I depending on what the build date was on mine made the difference to which RE4901A I would be able to use. Was told by all of them if it was built before September of 1994 it had to be used from anything after July & if was built in July of 1994 It had to be used from one built before then. When I was looking into this at the time I had 2 95 XE 3. AT 4x4's where one was built in July & other was built in September of 1994 so not sure if that was where they got those dates from or not. However when they looked up in the system which one would be compatible to pull from that was the answer each of these places gave me & said it was only like that for the 1995's.

Has anyone else ever heard of this before ? I know this was the first time that I had heard this & thought maybe it was just where I had asked the first time but then after a couple of the other places all told me the same thing it had me wondering if this really was the case on this. If so makes it a bit tougher to try to locate one down if it has to come from a specific build date on these 1995's. Especially when from everything I have heard & read it sounds like these transmission can be a pain to rebuild although it can be done. One more this as well is does it have to come from a 4x4 or can it also come from a 4x2 & is there anything special that needs to be done if it is & can be done with one from a 4x2> Thanks!

Any of the 4x4, 4 speed autos that came in an xterra, pathfinder, or hardbody will fit with the exception of the VQ35 powered r50 pathys. They are all the same trans case with some small differences in gear ratio for the later years. I am running a 2002 Xterra trans in my 94 pathy. It works great. Just plugged right in. It doesn't matter if it is an xe se or le the drivetrain was all the same...I don't know how the 2wd ones work.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 3

Any of the 4x4, 4 speed autos that came in an xterra, pathfinder, or hardbody will fit with the exception of the VQ35 powered r50 pathys. They are all the same trans case with some small differences in gear ratio for the later years. I am running a 2002 Xterra trans in my 94 pathy. It works great. Just plugged right in. It doesn't matter if it is an xe se or le the drivetrain was all the same...I don't know how the 2wd ones work.

Thanks for the info on this also good to know that all of the others will also work & are compatible with it as well. Sure did seem rather strange to me when I was told that & was the first I had ever heard of that also. Which is why I knew this would be the best place to ask the question I have nothing but great pointers, advice & information from lots of the members. Along with lots of very useful information & links to help with finding good sources to acquire various parts & other things & great help with troubleshooting on finding the answers to issues that arise on Nissan's. Thanks again for the info adamzan.

• Like 1