Seized spark plugs

blackspawn

I bought a 1990 Pathfinder with 166,000 on it and wanted to do a tune-up; but the problem that I'm having I can not turn the plugs to change them out. NEED HELP I do not want to strip the threads out! :angry:

Edited by blackspawn

if u break the plug (porcelain) before you remove the plug vacuum and blow out the area before completely removing it...and maybe even turn the engine over several times with the starter with no new plugs in to "clear" the cylinder...

fill the plug spot with brake fluid and keep doing this for a few days then try tightning them then loosing them thats what i had to do

DO NOT POUR BRAKE FLUID ON YOUR ENGINE! :stickwack:

fill the plug spot with brake fluid and keep doing this for a few days then try tightning them then loosing them thats what i had to do

Now there's a new idea... never heard of that one before... where'd that come from?

I second the PB blaster suggestion. Try to budge them cold, then warm or hot. Once it does move, don't just unscrew it all the way, thread it back in a turn or so to allow the penetrant deeper access. Do not let the threads heat up or they may gall. Get it a few turns out, and let it sit for 5 mintues and then go back and turn it a few more threads, etc...

Before fully removing the plug, make sure to vacuum or blow out the plug well!!

B

I did the pb blaster way and slowly turn them back and forth. I got 4 out so for far. I don't have anything to blow it out with so I wipe it out the best I could. so far I didn't break any spark plugs or strip any threads!

I did the pb blaster way and slowly turn them back and forth. I got 4 out so for far. I don't have anything to blow it out with so I wipe it out the best I could. so far I didn't break any spark plugs or strip any threads!

Id think some electronic cleaner stuff, that air can that you use to spray dust off your keyboard/screen and such would work for you, but idk if it would be strong enough :\

/\ Like they said. It's worth the effort not to drop crud into the cylinders.

I've used a screw driver and wadded paper towel pieces to break loose/mop up crud and clear it out with canned air (no air compressor). It works fairly well...

Nice!! Sometimes patience is the only way... Make sure to put some anti seize on the threads of the new plugs. ;)

B

Thanks to everybody who help me; I got all of them changed out! I sprayed the pb blaster on the plugs and let them set awhile then I worked the plugs back and forth until they loosing up; but before I took the plug all the way out I used a shop towel(the blue roll) and a flat head screwdriver and worked the crud out the best I could. The new plugs were put in with anti-seize on the threads. I drove it today and it drives like a new truck! Thank again for the information and encouragement to do this. PB Blaster is the S@#T!!!!! Also if anyone is changing out there spark plugs, spend the extra money and buy the Bosch Platinum+2. They made my pathfinder feel like it has extra horsepower,but maybe its just because my old ones were so worn out. :wiggle: THANKS AGAIN!!!

• 3 weeks later...